Why become a member? ×

Cimar Grabber copy, low start

Paul S

Thanks I’ve found it now. There are a few Grabber copies available, the most common are from the Italian ‘Melody’ brand. I’ve also seen Maya and Kimbara versions. Not a patch on the real thing though. My ‘74 Grabber is one of my keeper basses. 

• Like 1

These are more common branded Avon in the UK - in fact I don't think I've seen a Cimar before. A bit different, typically natural finish/maple fretboard. I had an Avon - it was very good & an accurate copy, as far as I could tell. This one's a bit bashed up, swapped bridge & missing an original tuner - but still has the original slidey pickup.

My old one:

grabfront.jpg.2a2b65ac40fa00d146b0be65a03d9312.jpg

9 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

Would love a natural one just to scratch the itch. I really want @walshy’s natural one. 

Ge doesn’t do finance though (and I don’t think he’d flog it...)

Aye they are both lush. I still may make one and utilise the neck I have spare. Loving the Gibsons atm

5DD845AD-CBD3-41BE-9ED0-D3A56D85EA67.jpeg

Edited by walshy
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, ash said:

Good luck if you can find a good one at a decent price prowla. Mine is a little beast it’s got a great sounding pickup and a lovely neck. On the pic it has a hipshot bridge but I reverted back to the original. 

Aye - it's just whimsical thinking rather than a mission...

I put the £156 bid in a couple of seconds before it ended. Didn't really want to pay that much but it was only on £107 at the time. £120-130 would've been nice to make it around £150 with postage. Got outbid but was almost relieved. 🙂

3 minutes ago, Maude said:

I put the £156 bid in a couple of seconds before it ended. Didn't really want to pay that much but it was only on £107 at the time. £120-130 would've been nice to make it around £150 with postage. Got outbid but was almost relieved. 🙂

I've been there too; I tend to just put what I'm prepared to pay in advance and let it run its course, but I occasionally do the last-minute thing.

It probably was a bargain, but it's in a bit of a state. I like them like this though as there's no need to feel too guilty replacing the parts with better ones as they're missing in the first place. I thought stripped and oiled or waxed natural, a Babicz three point bridge, try and find that tuber, maybe a replacement scratchplate if it won't polish up and a damn good clean, then it would be lovely. 

It was pretty tempting, I could have collected it and have just sold 2 basses (so in my mind I'm allowed to buy a bass at the mo 😂), but I think I have my heart set on a Gibson shorty. 

Would have been quite nice to keep as is (partly because I'm sure my efforts at repair would have made it worse!) as long as everything worked. Could have been like a rat bass. 

Does anyone know what may have happened with the original bridge holes? Looks like they may have been filled? 

4 minutes ago, Jonesy said:

Does anyone know what may have happened with the original bridge holes? Looks like they may have been filled? 

I was assuming the threaded inserts in the body had had coach bolts or similar screwed into them, or a plastic plug or something. 

That's why I didn't want to go to high as there's a lot of unknowns with it. 

• Like 1

I thought it may have been filled at first, but looking at it again, it looks as if there's a screw head sticking out above the body on the left hand side. The 2 outer screws of the bridge that's on it are missing too. I wonder if that bridge is sitting on top of the original screws and screwed into the body?? It'd still probably be a better design than the original 3 point Gibson Bridge....... 😂

Edited by Jonesy
  • Like 1