Why become a member? ×

Scarlett Solo control app - can anyone help?

lozkerr

Hi folks!

I'm looking for the Mac version of the Focusrite Control app for my Scarlett Solo. We're having problems getting it to work properly with JamKazam and apparently running this app alongside it is supposed to improve performance and reduce latency.

"But my dear girl," I hear you say, "why not just download it from Focusrite's website?"

I tried guv, really I tried. Off to their webshite I went. Gosh, it's changed a wee bit since I was last here. No free downloads now - you have to create an account.

Oh well, here we go. Name, email, password, unit serial number.... uh, what's this? When did I buy it? That was a while ago so enter a random date.

Which country did I buy it in? Jeez, are these nosey jackasses looking for attempts to procure munitions? United Kingdom, obvs.

Where did I buy it? Dawson's Music in Leeds IIRC, so let's pick 'Geetar CenTER'. Duh.

Eh? Bundle code? BUNDLE code? What sorcery is this? I've moved house three times since I bought this thing and I haven't a clue where or what the bundle code is. Let's try some gibberish.

Nope, not valid. No software for you. Go direct to jail, do not pass go, do not collect the app that could make the difference between you sticking with the Solo or throwing it in the bin.

Sod this for a game of soldiers. Change account name to Rosemary West from Samoa, email to Fosters_NastyPasty (at) non_existent_domain save changes, step away from the keyboard and indulge in some pleasant daydreams involving Focusrite's marketeers' heads and a heavy door. I could understand all this palaver if we were talking about heavy-duty software, but this is a wee app that just controls a USB interface. Fuxake.

So here I am. Does anyone have a copy of the Mac version of the app I could have? I shall be forever in your debt!

Many thanks,
Laura

• Haha 3

13 minutes ago, lozkerr said:

Hi folks!

I'm looking for the Mac version of the Focusrite Control app for my Scarlett Solo...

Assuming it's a 'third generation' model (if not, you don't need Control...), download here, with no hassle...

Focusrite Solo Control...

Hope this helps. :friends:

Edited by Dad3353
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, lozkerr said:

Hi folks!

I'm looking for the Mac version of the Focusrite Control app for my Scarlett Solo. We're having problems getting it to work properly with JamKazam and apparently running this app alongside it is supposed to improve performance and reduce latency.

"But my dear girl," I hear you say, "why not just download it from Focusrite's website?"

I tried guv, really I tried. Off to their webshite I went. Gosh, it's changed a wee bit since I was last here. No free downloads now - you have to create an account.

Oh well, here we go. Name, email, password, unit serial number.... uh, what's this? When did I buy it? That was a while ago so enter a random date.

Which country did I buy it in? Jeez, are these nosey jackasses looking for attempts to procure munitions? United Kingdom, obvs.

Where did I buy it? Dawson's Music in Leeds IIRC, so let's pick 'Geetar CenTER'. Duh.

Eh? Bundle code? BUNDLE code? What sorcery is this? I've moved house three times since I bought this thing and I haven't a clue where or what the bundle code is. Let's try some gibberish.

Nope, not valid. No software for you. Go direct to jail, do not pass go, do not collect the app that could make the difference between you sticking with the Solo or throwing it in the bin.

Sod this for a game of soldiers. Change account name to Rosemary West from Samoa, email to Fosters_NastyPasty (at) non_existent_domain save changes, step away from the keyboard and indulge in some pleasant daydreams involving Focusrite's marketeers' heads and a heavy door. I could understand all this palaver if we were talking about heavy-duty software, but this is a wee app that just controls a USB interface. Fuxake.

So here I am. Does anyone have a copy of the Mac version of the app I could have? I shall be forever in your debt!

Many thanks,
Laura

Hey Laura,

We absolutely don’t put important things like control software and drivers behind registration walls, sorry that it wasn’t clear where to go. You can download Focusrite Control from the website here (you’ll need to select your product of course):

https://customer.focusrite.com/en/support/downloads

With regards to JamKazam, if you’re on Mac, I doubt installing Focusrite Control will change anything as Scarlett’s are class compliant and so don’t need a driver on Mac.
If you’re on Windows, Focusrite Control installation includes the USB driver that will get the most out of your Scarlett, as such, that might make a difference.

Also note, that if you haven’t yet installed FC to date, your Scarlett will likely want a firmware update, which running FC for the first time will instigate automatically. This will likely also improve performance from factory.

As an aside, what we do place the registration wall is a plethora of free plugins, VSTi’s, daws, loops etc, so worth exploring as well at some point.

Si // Focusrite 

Edited by Sibob
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Sibob said:

Hey Laura,

We absolutely don’t put important things like control software and drivers behind registration walls, sorry that it wasn’t clear where to go. You can download Focusrite Control from the website here (you’ll need to select your product of course):

Hi Si,

Many thanks. I've installed it OK and you're right -  it doesn't make any difference to JamKazam. I think it's a problem with JamKazam, as the crackling and noise I was getting there doesn't occur with Cubase or Audacity. I'm still fiddling with settings, but if I can't get it to behave I guess we'll need to try something else.

The volume's pretty low though, but it seems to be a Mac-specific thing - I've just tried it with my work machine running Windows 10 and it's plenty loud enough there. From a root around tinterwebz, it seems to be a common problem on Macbooks when you try to use self-powered USB audio interfaces.

It's not the end of the world, though - if all else fails, maybe a separately-powered USB audio interface taking signals from my Boss JS10 might be the way to go. It's a twin-channel job, with separate volume controls for mic and bass.

Thanks again!

Laura

2 hours ago, lozkerr said:

Hi Si,

Many thanks. I've installed it OK and you're right -  it doesn't make any difference to JamKazam. I think it's a problem with JamKazam, as the crackling and noise I was getting there doesn't occur with Cubase or Audacity. I'm still fiddling with settings, but if I can't get it to behave I guess we'll need to try something else.

The volume's pretty low though, but it seems to be a Mac-specific thing - I've just tried it with my work machine running Windows 10 and it's plenty loud enough there. From a root around tinterwebz, it seems to be a common problem on Macbooks when you try to use self-powered USB audio interfaces.

It's not the end of the world, though - if all else fails, maybe a separately-powered USB audio interface taking signals from my Boss JS10 might be the way to go. It's a twin-channel job, with separate volume controls for mic and bass.

Thanks again!

Laura

Hmm, I’ve not heard of that issue on MacBooks with regards to volume....if there was an issue with it being powered, I would expect it to simply not work at all. That said, I’ve not looked into it, and it’s a number of years since I was in the tech support team haha. I’ll look into it Monday.

Si // Focusrite 

Edited by Sibob
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1