Why become a member? ×

Fender Nitro Finish Jazz Basses

Hazza2004

Just a short one but are there any Jazz basses that come up under £1000ish with a nitro finish, preferably in sunburst. I've seen the old classic series 60s fenders fit this criteria but are there any MIJ options or maybe even american? I was looking at the vintera 60s J bass but a nitro finish and rosewood board would be a massive plus

You're best off looking at the Mexican roadworn stuff dude. They're all really well reviewed. My 50s precision is easily my favourite P ever. 

I don't think any of the Japanese stuff has ever been Nitro. 

The old AVRI and current American original are both Nitro but they're not in your price range. 

• Like 1

What about the Fender Flea Jazz?  Cheaper than the Roadworn but, basically the same bass.  Not sunburst but a really good looking jazz.  The pickups are superb.  The neck pickup is the fattest sounding I've heard.

Frank.

Edited by machinehead
spelling
  • Like 2

50 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

Agree, Road Worn fits the bill, with the added bonus that I don’t think I’ve ever read a bad word about them, certainly my limited experience of the RW Precision backs that up.

This. I played a red one in PMT Leeds and it was awesome 

3 hours ago, cocco said:

I don't think any of the Japanese stuff has ever been Nitro. 

I've got a mid '90s Japanese Jazz Bass, and I'm pretty sure it's got a nitro finish looking at how the finish is crazing and wearing. It could be over a poly base but if it is, it's very thin.

I don't know much about finishes so I could be wrong, I just know that it's wearing differently than my poly finished basses.

11 hours ago, Hazza2004 said:

Just a short one but are there any Jazz basses that come up under £1000ish with a nitro finish, preferably in sunburst. I've seen the old classic series 60s fenders fit this criteria but are there any MIJ options or maybe even american? I was looking at the vintera 60s J bass but a nitro finish and rosewood board would be a massive plus

Pretty sure the only models/ranges with a nitro finish in the current range are; 

MIM Classic ‘60s Lacquer (there’s a non-lacquer version too sI you have to specifically choose this)

MIM Road Worn

American original series (MIA)

Normally, the MIJ models don’t come in Nitro finish (there are some specials etc that did, but they’re difficult to get new) BUT, there is a company in Poland who refinish MIJ Fenders (stock and custom requests) in Nitro finishes of varying styles (NOS to heavy relic). I’ve played a few of their instruments and the quality of their work is STUNNING and would come in below £1000. Example here;

https://restauracja-gitar.pl/portfolio-posts/fender-62-jazz-bass-nitro-relic3750zl-975/

Hope it helps!

Edited by skej21
Spelling!
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

My fender us 62 RI was a nitro finish , I paid quite a lot for my one but you do see them occasionally come up for around the £1200 mark 

4DEF18F3-A58F-480F-985F-A6BBF2397ADA.jpeg

This looks like an American Vintage model, which has been updated as the current ‘American Original’ 🙂

• Like 1

12 hours ago, skej21 said:

Pretty sure the only models/ranges with a nitro finish in the current range are; 

MIM Classic ‘60s Lacquer (there’s a non-lacquer version too sI you have to specifically choose this)

MIM Road Worn

American original series (MIA)

Normally, the MIJ models don’t come in Nitro finish (there are some specials etc that did, but they’re difficult to get new) BUT, there is a company in Poland who refinish MIJ Fenders (stock and custom requests) in Nitro finishes of varying styles (NOS to heavy relic). I’ve played a few of their instruments and the quality of their work is STUNNING and would come in below £1000. Example here;

https://restauracja-gitar.pl/portfolio-posts/fender-62-jazz-bass-nitro-relic3750zl-975/

Hope it helps!

The fender Flea Jazz is nitro finish too.

Frank.

2 minutes ago, machinehead said:

The fender Flea Jazz is nitro finish too.

Frank.

Yeah but I just always think of that as in the Road Worn series. Same with the JMJ signature. Just Road Worn series spec with some more specific features and a player’s name 🙂

• Like 1

I’ve got an MIJ 75RI Jazz made in the mid 80s from the serial number that I imported from Japan. It never occurred to me it would have a nitro finish until it picked up some colour from the cheap Provec case I put it in briefly. It’s in a proper G&G case now! 3 colour sunburst but not rosewood, I’m afraid. It does have Lindy Fralin pickups, though. Pretty sure it’s worth less than £1000 though replacing it in its current condition might be a bit of a challenge?

CCC444F2-E967-4476-86C6-CD4BADA47B2A.jpeg

• Like 2

• 7 months later...

Bit late to the party, but I have a Fender Classic 60s Jazz sunburst/rosewood lacquer finish that I bought new in May 2013. It is the best bass I have, better than my US basses, probably better than the Alembic I used to own. 

It's not for sale, but hopefully will inspire you to keep on searching if you haven't found one yet.

• Like 1