Why become a member? ×

Favourite covers of "Jolene"

Munurmunuh

14 hours ago, Maude said:

Whoaaah aaaaah ah, let's go all the way. 

I loved that song so much I bought the album. BIG mistake. 

Edit: so now, thanks to this thread, I'm imagining The Sisters of Mercy's cover of Sly Fox's "Let's Go All The Way". It's sounding great.

Edited by Ricky Rioli
  • Like 1

Any song can of course be covered, but IMHO there’s a handful that never should be, as the original is so definitive - Jolene, Stairway to heaven, and any Queen song come to mind.

I stand to be corrected, mind; many years ago my old blues band decided to cover Dolly Parton’s “9 to 5”, which I was dubious about but it turned out to be one the biggest crowd-pleasers of the set.......o.O

37 minutes ago, Ricky Rioli said:

... Please do listen, if you aren't heartily sick of the song by now.

Yes, one can have too much of a Good Thing. Special mention, however, for the original use of the Mattress Bedsprings in the background. Little used these day; I wonder why..? :scratch_one-s_head:

1 minute ago, Ricky Rioli said:

Does that mean you can live without a link of a five year girl singing it on Ellen?

If I knew what that was, I suspect I'd be giving it a miss. And 'No, I don't want a link', thanks all the same. Back to Mahler for me, I'm afraid. -_-

• Like 1

I haven't got a good cover to contribute I'm afraid.

But Jolene is one of those songs which I eventually appreciate after many years.

I started out as a youth thinking it was just a cheesy country song. Then over the years I saw the appeal...... first I liked the lyrics. Next I got to appreciate the tune. Later I thought the vocal performance was good. Finally I realised that the instrumental arrangement/performance is great too!

• Like 2

All these very nice covers in that stick to the original style have made me appreciate just how good a singer Dolly Parton is: the singers have beautiful voices used musically, but they're not matching the inflections of their voice to the words as quite closely as she does. Without that, the careful balance between the cheerful music and the sad words goes.

1 hour ago, Dad3353 said:

Yes, one can have too much of a Good Thing. Special mention, however, for the original use of the Mattress Bedsprings in the background. Little used these day; I wonder why..? :scratch_one-s_head:

S'all memory foam innit. 

On 08/01/2021 at 18:39, TwoTimesBass said:

The original but played at 33rpm...

If you open this on YouTube and change the playback speed to 1.25x, you'll have it back to something like the original speed, but with the pitch and timbre still down at Tracy Chapman levels

Edited by Ricky Rioli

19 minutes ago, Ricky Rioli said:

Open this on YouTube and change the playback speed to 1.25x. Back to roughly the correct speed, bit still down at Tracy Chapman pitch

Does YouTube speed change emulate pitch correction? This could be the reason. 

• 4 weeks later...

I waited for a while, to see what was posted.  Two of my three favourites made it...

• Miley Cyrus' version?  Tick
  • The Petersons?  Tick
  • Hildergard von Blingin'?  No tick, until now.

So, here is what sounds like the medieval original version of Jolene, in the genre of Bardcore.

I do like me some Bardcore - Pumped Up Kicks, translated and sung in Anglo Saxon, is great!