Why become a member? ×

JD Supernatural Owners

MJJS

I’m thinking about a Supernatural 5er.

I have a concern about how much one would weigh. Any owners of such machines about that can comment?

Also, the GA24 body seems smaller, but do they neck dive given the shorter upper body dimension?

Grateful for any info.

I have a custom built GA24 4 string and there’s zero neck dive. Not sure whether the added neck/headstock mass of a 5 string would tip the scales though.

Weight-wise it’s not skinny but perfectly manageable for gigs. JD tend to use mahogany for the body core but you could choose a lighter body wood and/or facings or ask for chambering (I’m sure they’d accommodate this as a custom builder).

Also need to consider the other ‘weight’ - the wait time. Mine took about 16 months and that was back in 2007/08.

Not to detract at all from JD quality and attention to detail, it would be absolutely worth the wait.

The GA24 also sounds quite distinct from the Roadie/Series models due to the downsized body and 24 fret neck bringing the pickups closer together. It’s a more focused modern sound IMO.

Good luck, whatever you choose!