Why become a member? ×

Do Me A Favour

stewblack

1 minute ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

Done it. I know you said no need to comment, but I have to say, I really liked it.

Not sure about the long into, and I'd definitely lose the scatting outro, but I'd love to hear that centre section with a good hard rock vocal over it. 

Very much my cup o tea, as it were. 

Great stuff thanks. 

10 minutes ago, Thunderbird said:

To be honest stew I got bored after 2 mins waiting for something to happen sorry to be negative but the mix and playing seemed good from what I listened too

No problem and no need to apologise. I just want him to see some hits when he checks it 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, stewblack said:

...He's not terrifically confident...

That's probably a Good Thing, for composers in general. In this case, after a single listen-through, he's right to feel a little nervous. Unfounded, really, as the opus stands up on its merits; most of the criticism stemming from the genre and personal taste, rather than its existence. I'm a drummer, so found it a bit difficult (no, rather too 'edgy'...), as it's properly composed (for the genre...), but executed too mechanically, with 'artificial' variances. It's true, though, that some drummers do play like that, so... Not keen on the incessant insistance of the beat in general, but it fits the subject. I'm not a great fan of 'riffs', so maybe not the best judge of music in this vein; the bloke has done well, and I did manage to listen all the way through (not always the case with me..!). It won't go into my collection, but, then again, I didn't buy the Gojira disks, either. Good luck to the fellow. He gets a 'Thumb's up'.
R91KekF.gif

• Like 1

Not at all normally my 'thing', but I thought there were some really good ideas in there. It would be interesting to see where there splits into the 5 sections/acts are supposed to fall. I did like a lot of what was going on between about 2.20 and the 5 minute mark.

Drumming, to me, seemed very of the genre and not all that unusual in the world of digital recording.

Good effort. 👍

• Like 1

Like a lot of others, it's not my thing particularly, but, I didn't feel the need to turn it off. Doesn't sound like a compliment I know, but it is. 

There were enough changes, interesting chord choices and little bass runs to keep my attention. The drums, whilst they must've taken a long time to program sound too drum machiney, but I'm not sure that's a criticism, they are programmed after all. Drop the vocals at the end would be my only real critism. 

If that was knocked out live in it's entirety with a big beast of a drummer and some rawk vocals it would be fantastic. 

🙂👍

• Thanks 1

Done too, and I like it a lot, no need for a screaming singer to me and the programmed drums and sound fit the genre totally. You can tell your friend that he's made it. I'm also very critical when it comes to composition and it's a compliment if I listen to a tune entirely, especially in the metal genre that I'm not listening anymore these days as it's too crappy.

That said, I like the riff and the ostinato in music composition as they do fit together pretty well.

A big 👍 !

• Like 1