Why become a member? ×

Greetings from Phil Mann (...some chatty Londoner!)

Phil Mann

Hi Phil, I loved reading your intro and dreaming of going to Bassday UK at the Royal Northern College of Music again. The fact that we share the same last name in no way contributes to my perception of you as a splendid human being 🙂

I only joined Basschat yesterday (was it only yesterday?) so I can hardly say "welcome" but I am aware that I'm in auspicious company.

All the best.

(real name Chris Mann)

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 25/02/2021 at 11:51, jazzburger said:

Hi Phil, I loved reading your intro and dreaming of going to Bassday UK at the Royal Northern College of Music again. The fact that we share the same last name in no way contributes to my perception of you as a splendid human being 🙂

I only joined Basschat yesterday (was it only yesterday?) so I can hardly say "welcome" but I am aware that I'm in auspicious company.

All the best.

(real name Chris Mann)

Thanks Chris!

Coincidently, I've just finished my family tree and found out that my surname was actually 'Manns' back in the 1800s...my whole life's been a lie!

Welcome to Basschat yourself - enjoy!

My best,

• Like 2

On 19/02/2021 at 18:28, Phil Mann said:

Anyone like Queen?

There's an interview with Neil Fairclough online if you've got a spare hour! x

Will have a look at that later. I had a one-off lesson with Neil a few years ago - great bloke and an amazing ear...! 

• Like 1

Hi everyone,

Hope you're all really well - the next instalment of With Bass In Mind's 'in conversation with' series is now published on With Bass In Mind's YouTube Channel...I guess this guy will need no introduction!

Enjoy - I'm incredibly proud to have been able to break bread with Victor.

Edited by Phil Mann
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Phil...Thanks for the lovely read up on your career.

It freaked me out...as you have lived the exact mirror of my life!!!....................    If my dreams had come true...lol😅

Wonderful to see someone who has lived the dream and remained so humble. 

I am very fortunate with the opportunities I have had and experiences I have got to play in...so small in comparison.....But I am grateful

Greetings from Toronto

Edited by Murphy
  • Haha 1

“...Return To The Forbidden Planet...” - oh that brings back memories! I love that show! An old school chum, Rosie, was stage manager for a load of the national tours back in the 90s/00s. Saw that show so many times. Always a blast! 

• Like 2

On 08/04/2021 at 08:22, TrevorR said:

“...Return To The Forbidden Planet...” - oh that brings back memories! I love that show! An old school chum, Rosie, was stage manager for a load of the national tours back in the 90s/00s. Saw that show so many times. Always a blast! 

...any show that's got a few Carol Kaye bass parts in it is fine by me!

Was great fun to play... :) (alas, a distant memory now, but I've still got a copy of the pad!)

On 18/02/2021 at 10:41, bassintheface said:

Bass royalty indeed.........

Hey Phil.

Have subscribed to your youtube channel............

Best.

Jamie

Amazing - Thank you, we're not trying to set new world records for streaming, but WBIM is a cool little community to be part of. :)

• Phil Mann changed the title to Greetings from Phil Mann (...some chatty Londoner!)
  • 4 months later...

Hi @Phil Mann

I just wanted to say that for Christmas I decided to treat myself to a year's SBL subscription as my ear has always been good but my theoretical knowledge to back it up has been rubbish.

I can read sheet music for the band I play in but I have tried to learn the theory behind triads, circle of 5ths, modes etc on several occasions over the years and it normally just fries my brain...

I decided to go straight for your Functional Theory For Bassists Vol 1 course and although I will need keep reviewing to lock it all in I already feel that your way of teaching has helped me see it a lot easier,  I now feel I will get there and am a lot less overwhelmed by it all.

I'm also impressed watching a leftie play the correct way around :ph34r: 😁

Thank you - I will keep plugging at this and check out some of your other lessons as I go along.  

After looking at this thread, it looks like I also need to check out the interviews your YT channel!

• 1 month later...
On 06/01/2023 at 19:56, Huge Hands said:

Hi @Phil Mann

I just wanted to say that for Christmas I decided to treat myself to a year's SBL subscription as my ear has always been good but my theoretical knowledge to back it up has been rubbish.

I can read sheet music for the band I play in but I have tried to learn the theory behind triads, circle of 5ths, modes etc on several occasions over the years and it normally just fries my brain...

I decided to go straight for your Functional Theory For Bassists Vol 1 course and although I will need keep reviewing to lock it all in I already feel that your way of teaching has helped me see it a lot easier,  I now feel I will get there and am a lot less overwhelmed by it all.

I'm also impressed watching a leftie play the correct way around :ph34r: 😁

Thank you - I will keep plugging at this and check out some of your other lessons as I go along.  

After looking at this thread, it looks like I also need to check out the interviews your YT channel!

There's a couple of books on my website that may also be of interest to you! ;)

Good luck with the programmes! 

My best,
Philip