Why become a member? ×

Greetings from Phil Mann (...some chatty Londoner!)

Phil Mann

16 hours ago, Phil Mann said:

Bless'um - send my love, I hope you're all well!

I'm sure your neighbours remember my visit as well....the noisy bugger that I am!

15 hours ago, Phil Mann said:

A lovely afternoon purchasing a CS Jaco fretless...time well spent with good people. 

Ha ha, my neighbours have put up with worse trust me. Thanks for the comment Phil, my kids felt the same, IIRC you also correctly identified that Katie, my youngest, has the correct temperament for drumming :)

• Like 1

15 hours ago, SpondonBassed said:

This one?

image.png.110c961d345fdb24604f55d5e27bd72b.png

Or did you get a relic'd version?

Nice either way.  Gosh that would need a lot of green shield stamps to buy though.

It was the CS Relic, yet another of those basses I wish I still had, although a bass that, once Phil had played it, I realised was one that I wasn;t quite making the most of :)

image.thumb.png.c29a6b331b3624b5f878d2d0e595a723.png

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Beedster said:

It was the CS Relic, yet another of those basses I wish I still had, although a bass that, once Phil had played it, I realised was one that I wasn;t quite making the most of :)

image.thumb.png.c29a6b331b3624b5f878d2d0e595a723.png

I'll take the time to say, thanks! for that because I've run out of reactions for the day.

6 hours ago, SpondonBassed said:

I'll take the time to say, thanks! for that because I've run out of reactions for the day.

Yeah, as @Beedster said - it's the CS relic. The one you posted was a USA.

I have both, and to tell you the truth, there's next to nothing between them. Better woods on the relic, better pickups in the USA. :)

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Phil Mann said:

Yeah, as @Beedster said - it's the CS relic. The one you posted was a USA.

I have both, and to tell you the truth, there's next to nothing between them. Better woods on the relic, better pickups in the USA. :)

Interesting bass the relic, I had a real love/hate thing with it. I take your point re the PUPs, but I guess the Custom Shop set out to engineer them as close as possible to what they believed the PUPs in Jaco's bass were like at 'that' stage of his playing/recording, when I guess they were far from new! Before I bought it i did a lot of reading around the instrument and I recall a post on TB in which the author said that people who thought it was a bad bass didn't understand what a good bass was!!!! Not sure I agree, but if I had the money and there was a used one at a decent price I'd buy it, the body relicing was a bit obvious but the neck was a joy to play and whether the PUPs were or were not as good as those in other instruments, it still sounded lovely (as you proved Phil). I've a set of Wizard '64s in my fretless Jazz and I feel they're a similar thing, they don't have the obvious refinement or immediacy of more contemporary voiced PUPs, but there's something rather nice about them all the same.

But you're certainly right about little difference between CS and factory sometimes :) 

35 minutes ago, Beedster said:

And if we're talking the equivalence of CS versus US fretless Jazzes, we should probably give a nod to the 90's MIJs which were the equal of both :)

Indeed, they were both wonderful basses - the USA defiantly had a little more bit in it though, which, as you say, is just accuracy in the build from the CS...as long as you could get 'that' sound (which you could) who cares, hu?!

I know the JV's are lovely, I have a concentric volume fretless and it's a cracker - but I've not had much experience with the MIJ's - but I know they're great from students... 

If anybodies interested - I run a lovely little bass channel called, With Bass In Mind.

This last weekend I interviewed Dave Swift for a YouTube blog:

There's some other cool hangs available - the first with Queen's Neil Fairclough and the second with Mo Foster.

The .com website also has loads of transcriptions, articles and reviews all free to download and enjoy.

By all means, help yourself. 

Enjoy x

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Gareth Hughes said:

Nice one Phil, I watched that late last night. Bass geeks and old mates catching up - a great combo. Thanks for sharing. 

Thank you, Gareth - Please you liked it! 

My interview with Mo was also great fun...so many insights - if you liked Dave's, maybe check this one out when you have time! My best, Enjoy!

Edited by Phil Mann
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SumOne said:

Thanks for the SBL Functional Theory and Sight reading lessons, I keep going back to them when I feel I should be focussing my practice and knowledge rather aimlessly playing riffs and noodling!

Bless ya! Pleased it's had such a positive impact on your playing! Keep practicing hard! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/02/2021 at 11:37, SumOne said:

Thanks for the SBL Functional Theory and Sight reading lessons, I keep going back to them when I feel I should be focussing my practice and knowledge rather aimlessly playing riffs and noodling!

Seconded - those drills revolving arp inversions of all the main chord structures along the cycle of 5ths are possibly the best bass exercises I've picked up.

• Thanks 1

On 18/02/2021 at 10:41, bassintheface said:

Bass royalty indeed.........

Hey Phil.

Have subscribed to your youtube channel............

Best.

Jamie

haha - silly bugger, just a bassist like everyone else! 

Thanks for your support, I hope you like the content - there's tones of free downloads on www.withbassinmind.com, help yourself! :)

On 18/02/2021 at 09:34, Cairobill said:

Seconded - those drills revolving arp inversions of all the main chord structures along the cycle of 5ths are possibly the best bass exercises I've picked up.

pleased you enjoyed them - the rhythm changes exercises around the cycle of fourths were all from my second book - they were based upon my studies with JB in America.

Cariobill? That names rings a bell...did you buy a 75Ri Jazz bass off me a long time ago...?

On 19/02/2021 at 18:24, Phil Mann said:

haha - silly bugger, just a bassist like everyone else! 

Thanks for your support, I hope you like the content - there's tones of free downloads on www.withbassinmind.com, help yourself! :)

Hahaha!

Cheers Phil.

I've enjoyed the content so far and once I finish my Masters (why I decided to do a FT MSc in a year, during lockdown I'll never know) then I'll take a deeper dive and maybe even book a few lessons (if you're still doing them).

Best.

• Phil Mann changed the title to Greetings from Phil Mann (...some chatty Londoner!)