Why become a member? ×

Greetings from Phil Mann (...some chatty Londoner!)

Phil Mann

Hi Everyone!

I've only recently become aware of this part of the page, so apologies....'This is me! Greetings!'

Here's the quick low-down....I hope it doesn't read too much like a CV! :)

Some performance bits: I've been caught burning the midnight oil with the likes of Grammy award winning musicians; Van Morrison, Albert Lee and Leo Sayer, Rock and Roll HoF inductees 'The Drifters' (Rollin Stone Magazine Top #100 bands of all time!). Rock and Roll HoF inductees; 'The Platers', Deep Purple's Steve Morse, Billy Bragg, Nashville singer singer/songwriter Hunter Hayes, Boogie Woogie Pianist Dona Oxford, and Comedian/BBC historian Rich Hall. Recently, I've been touring and recording with The Voice's artist; Peter Donegan (son of the legendary skiffle artist, Lonnie), 'LIVE At Decca' was released back in Aug '19 (now available on iTunes) - last year Pete won best international artist and international song at the ‘Texas Country Music Awards’. There's also a cool live recording on iTunes of an album I cut with Albert Lee, that's well worth check out as well (entitled: Live '18'). Other acts and artists I’ve worked with include; Rick Parfitt Jnr, Moni Tivony (The Voice), Andy Abraham (X Factor), Alison Limerick, Lois Winston (daughter to British film icon, Ray) and MK One’s jazz guitarist, Tolis Zavaliaris. Link: https://www.withbassinmind.com/the-mann

In 2017, I was incredibly humbled at the release of the Philip Mann Signature Series from Overwater bass guitars. Link: https://www.withbassinmind.com/the-bass

Previously, I've performed in London’s west end, appearing on 'Dancing In The Streets' (The Aldwich, Playhouse and Cambridge Theatres). I've also appeared internationally on musicals such as, 'A Vision of Elvis' and 'If I Can Dream' (a rendition of Elvis Presley's 2015 platinum selling album at the O2 arena, accompanied by members of the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra). Other productions include; 'Jesus Christ Super Star' (Covent Garden), 'Jersey Boys', ‘Fame’, ‘Hairspray’, 'Grease', ‘9-5’, ‘Anything Goes’, ‘Little Shop Of Horrors’ ’Bugsy Malone’, 'Bye, Bye Baby', ‘Jack The Ripper’, ‘One Night In Vegas’, 'Sunshine on Leigh', 'Tina Turner - What's Love Got To Do With It?', and 'Whitney Houston's - Queen of the Night'.  As part of the British Philharmonic Orchestra I performed with Martyn Lucas of Britain’s Got Talent and have supplied low-end for 'Beyond Phantom’ (UK Tour), ‘The Pirates of Penzance' (The Court Theatre, Herts), 'Canterbury Tales' (Minder, Germany), 'Livin La Vida Loca' (UK Tour), ‘Return To The Forbidden Planet’, 'One Step Closer', ‘Wondrous Stories’, 'Lady and The Vamp' (with Alison Limerick), and have featured on the BBC's touring production of 'The National Lottery Live' (in association with Camelot). There's loads of other stuff, which includes an array of acts and shows ranging from 'Imagine - The Ultimate Tribute to John Lennon' (Scandinavia), to ‘Elevation' - a U2 tribute (Finland), Big Band Metheny (The Pat Metheny Big Band) and also Monsters On a Leash (a Tower of Power Big Band)....but let's be honest, I'm already bored writing this stuff down, so you must be feeling brain dead by now.

As a soloist, in 2011 I opened for Marcus Miller at Manchester’s ‘BassDay UK’. Then on the following year featured on the main stage at ‘The International Bass Guitar Show’, London (opening for Yolanda Charles and Living Colour’s, Doug Wimbish). In the same year, I was also fortunate enough to perform conventional bass for TM Stevens during his UK masterclass dates. I've performed at every UK bass guitar show and LA Namm conference since; promoting everything from Elixir Bass Guitar Strings, to Overwater Bass Guitars and Ashdown Engineering products. 

Academically speaking: I'm a graduate of the Players School Of Music in Clearwater Florida - having studied under Jeff Berlin. Prior to that i've received two Masters Degrees (one in Jazz, the other in academic practice) and a Bachelor Degree in popular music. I’ve also studied at Basstech (Powerhouse Music Schools) and the Musicians Institute in London - currently I hold a senior fellowship to the higher education academy (FHEA).

As part of the visiting faculty I visit Florida to lecture at The Players School Of Music. I write for Bass Player Magazine (UK and USA) on a monthly basis (intermediate techniques column) and have contributed with an array of other articles ranging from equipment reviews to artist interviews (Billy Sheehan, Jeff Berlin, Mo Foster et. al). I'm the author of the 'Chord Tone Concepts' series, a four volume chord tone manual for bassists, published via 'With Bass In Mind Publications' (Link: https://www.withbassinmind.com/the-books), and am recognised amongst UK bassists for my years as part of the bass faculty at 'The Institute' (7 years service between 2009 and 2016), before going on to join the team at Scott's Bass Lessons (.com)

I've been hired for engagements across the world at venues such as The Jazz Cafe - London, The Hilton Hotel and Hard Rock Cafe - Egypt, The Royal Orchid - Bangkok, The Grand Mezzo Hotel - Lake Como Italy, The Burj Al Arab Hotel in Dubai, The Palace Hotel - Switzerland and The Pudong Shangri-La, Shanghai (for the British Chamber of Commerce)  and have appeared at The Cannes Film Festival as well as at such events as The Formula 1 Power Boats - Dubai, The FIA Formula One Championship (Monaco GP), Bingley Open Air Festival in Bradford, The Lewisham ‘Peoples Day’ Festival, The Dyrham Park Open Air Festival and London's world famous Country 2 Country festival at the O2.

Basically....I play bass, and a lot of it! 🙂

'With Bass In Mind' is my online porthole for booking One2One remote bass lessons, purchasing my Chord Tone Concepts texts and also checking out a selection of my Bass Player and Bass Guitar Magazine publications. There's loads of transcriptions, reviews and insights on there...plus loads of video interviews on my YouTube channel...the best thing - it's all completely free to be part of - so if you get a chance, please pop by and check it out!!! Link: https://www.withbassinmind.com

Equipment:....ok let's geek out, although in honesty, I've not got a vault of instruments, although some might still say five too many!
(i) Overwater - Philip Mann Signature Series Jazz Bass (custom model 5 string).
(ii) Overwater - Philip Mann Signature Series Jazz Bass (standard model 4 string).
(iii) Musicman - 30th Anniversary Stingray 5 (Roasted maple)
(iv) Musicman - Stingray 5 - Fretted (Honey burst, maple board).
(v) Musicman - Stingray 5 - Fretless (Sunburst ash)
(vi) Musicman - '79 Sabre (PEB).
(vii) SLB-100, Yamaha Silent Bass
(viii) Moog Bass Synth - Little Phatty.

When needed, an array of sounds come from manufactures such as Sushi Box, Tech 21, Fishman, MXR and EBS.

It's been so lovely to meet so many of you through SBL, which is one of reason I wanted to reach out to the Basschat community and say hi! 
Thanks for reading, and I'm sorry if you fell asleep half way through...I know I did.

Stay safe,

Philip

With Bass In Mind

https://www.withbassinmind.com

Edited by Phil Mann
updates
  • Like 16

Oh why I remember - if anyone's interested, I've got some cool interviews with Neil Fairclough and Mo Foster on my YouTube channel...and there's one with Dave Swift going up at the weekend! :)

'With Bass In Mind' is a new thing for me, but it's really just a chance to bring everything together under one roof!

https://www.youtube.com/c/withbassinmind

PMx

• Like 1