Why become a member? Γ—

Favourite pick up configuration

TheGreek

What's your favourite Pick up configuration?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. What's your favourite Pick up configuration?

• JJ
    • PJ
    • HJ
    • HH
    • HP
    • P or PP
    • H

Recently acquired a 5er with twin soapbars/ humbuckers but prior to that I had been playing mostly PJ configuration basses. I felt that both Jazz and Precision basses lacked "something" that the PJ set up gave me.

What is your preference? Remember there is no "right" or "wrong" (unless you disagree with me, of course) 😜😜

Edited by TheGreek

Active and/or passive is also a big consideration.

For me it's a plus to have the option of both on a single PJ bass, sometimes I like to solo the P in passive mode for a more vintage vibe other times I might go all out onΒ both pickups with the preamp engaged for a more contemporary tone.

Edited by Cato

I've selected HH as my two "working" basses have a pair of hum buckers on board, but like others, my answer is also dependent on what I am trying to achieve. As a professional bassist, it's a bit like a painter having different brushes and paint colours.

I do adore my battered and bruised ash P bass though. There's just something about it's sound that is wonderful. Oh and reverse P has been mentioned - I have a pair of Japanese Fenders with rP-J configurations. There's just something really nice about them when in 50/50 blend mode.

Β 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

I was trying to keep it simple....clearly not as simple as I'd hoped

On the flip side though, it highlights how complex a subject playing bass is! And, you know what? I bloody love it!! :)Β 

• Like 2