Why become a member? ×

Favourite Beatles cover.

Paul S

On 07/01/2021 at 14:45, Ricky Rioli said:

The band has a name that the forum software changes to "Craddock", which took me a while to get my head round, and the cover gives the song yet more of what it already had

Hey Bulldog is weirdly obscure for a solidly second tier Beatles song, and, as David Bowie pointed out, F-A-N-N-Y were a much underrated group. This was recorded in 1972.

(I once read that this song was the final true Lennon-McCartney collaboration, but I don't know how accurate that claim is)

That is magnificent!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

That is magnificent!

Did the song really sound that bad?

I don't mean it's a bad version, but the production is just dreadful.

I wonder if that's a poorly-converted mp3 or an early iTunes jobby, and the actual vinyl would have sounded way meatier?

On 19/01/2021 at 09:15, Cosmo Valdemar said:

Got To Get You Into My Life - Cliff Bennett and The Rebel Rousers. A pretty straight cover, and not as well produced, but given a far more authentic grind than the polite original could manage.

... and Chas Hodges on bass, Mick Burt on drums ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSL73EupKHQ

Edited by EssentialTension
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Happy Jack said:

I wonder if that's a poorly-converted mp3 or an early iTunes jobby, and the actual vinyl would have sounded way meatier?

I'm listening on my phone, so clearly I've no idea what things really sound like - my head seems to fill in enough gaps to keep me happy - but here's another upload. 

The production strikes me as pretty typical of its time, but that's not an especially well informed opinion.

1 hour ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

That is magnificent!

It's a funny song, it gets under my skin, while I'm listening to it simply just existing suddenly seems tremendously exciting, and this cover really makes the most of that quality, and while its playing I feel totally revved up, heart and soul [/insanebabble]

13 minutes ago, Ricky Rioli said:

It's a funny song, it gets under my skin, while I'm listening to it simply just existing suddenly seems tremendously exciting, and this cover really makes the most of that quality, and while its playing I feel totally revved up, heart and soul [/insanebabble]

I get it!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

Sounds fine to me.

3 hours ago, Ricky Rioli said:

I'm listening on my phone, so clearly I've no idea what things really sound like - my head seems to fill in enough gaps to keep me happy - but here's another upload. 

The production strikes me as pretty typical of its time, but that's not an especially well informed opinion.

Compare the F A N N Y version to the original and two things stand out for me ... the cover really misses the dominant piano part of the original, and production-wise the original uses the full width of the stereo whereas the cover puts 90% of the sound in the centre making a big lumpy mess while very little happens out at the edges. IMHO YMMV DILLIGAF

9 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

production-wise the original uses the full width of the stereo

As someone who shelled out for the Beatles In Mono box set, I'm contractually obliged to point out that the original mix had zero stereo 😁 

As for the stuff about the piano, we're very definitely listening with different ears and heads, so......

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

Compare the F A N N Y version to the original and two things stand out for me ... the cover really misses the dominant piano part of the original, and production-wise the original uses the full width of the stereo whereas the cover puts 90% of the sound in the centre making a big lumpy mess while very little happens out at the edges. IMHO YMMV DILLIGAF

To be fair, you have picked the remixed version 😉

I think most productions of that era would pale slightly next to The Beatles' later albums. 

F A N N Y's certainly doesn't strike me as a bad production at all.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Happy Jack said:

See, the thing is - it is not a copy.  To my simplistic way of thinking if a band do someone else's tune they can do it how they like.  Be it  signed band on a recording or a covers band down the Dog and Doughnut.  I don't really see the mileage in picking over cover versions and comparing them with the original.  Personally, I like to see how other people interpret a song, not just see how well a band can copy a song.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Happy Jack said:

certainly lacks the bollocks of the Beatles version

3 hours ago, Balcro said:

Help required to find an old song.

One for those with an encylopaedic knowledge of the early sixties.

A Beatles cover, I think it was "Money"  by Sounds Incorporated. Was it was on the green Columbia label?  Please search the brain archives.

Original of Money was Barrett Strong on Motown label in 1959. Many covers besides the Beatles. Another UK hit version was Bern Elliot and the Fenmen.

Edited by EssentialTension
  • Thanks 1