Why become a member? ×

Favourite Beatles cover.

Paul S

Incidentally, having dissed so many choices by other Basschatters, it's only fair that I put one up for people to shoot at.

For me this is easy. I am a HUGE fan of The Beatles so the only covers I actually prefer to the original song are when the original song was either complete **** or was a throw-away joke song, of the sort usually given to Ringo, one on each album.

And that takes me straight to

5 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

For me this is easy. I am a HUGE fan of The Beatles so the only covers I actually prefer to the original song are when the original song was either complete **** or was a throw-away joke song, of the sort usually given to Ringo, one on each album.

I'm not sure I've heard a cover of a Beatles tune that tops the original. Until now. You've kinda cheated there though in picking a terrible song in the first place 😂

Does The Dirty Mac's version of Yer Blues count as a cover? Just to go completely against what I said earlier about a cover being different, it's almost identical to the original, but Mitch Mitchell is always worth listening to and watching Yoko Ono trying to fight her way out of a bag is good value.

9 hours ago, Happy Jack said:

Incidentally, having dissed so many choices by other Basschatters, it's only fair that I put one up for people to shoot at.

We all know that your fave is Shirley Bassey’s version of Something, Jack.

• Haha 2

In My Life, recorded by Gina LeFaux.

Having been friends for some time, she came along with me to check out my first double bass. IIRC she'd not long since put a new bridge and soundpost on it it for me when this was recorded. 

"I'll get you an album credit with Martin Simpson", she said, "It'll look good on your CV!"

52 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

Surprised neither of these have surfaced yet.

Erm...the CK one did early on in the thread. Having not heard her version before, I’d hate to have to write out a chord chart for that one....🤣

54 minutes ago, bartelby said:

Just remembered this one.

Five Thirty's version of Come Together:

Drummer in my first really good band left us to play with 5:30. He didn't play on Bed, but he did subsequently play with Paul Bassett in Orange Deluxe. I'd love to get in contact with him again... if anyone knows a drummer (or even an ex-drummer) named Keith McCubbin, let me know!

Edited by Rich
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, casapete said:

Erm...the CK one did early on in the thread. Having not heard her version before, I’d hate to have to write out a chord chart for that one....🤣

Still waking up. Yeah, I did the transcription for it a long time ago - bit of a work out. It's not really a bass line - it's a keys bass, courtesy of Greg Phillinganes.

This one's worth watching just for the facial expressions!

I do remember a slow, soulful, version of this song back in the day but cannot remember who did it.  I'll keep looking.

Then just when you think it couldn't get any worse!

Edited by LeftyP

Just now, deepbass5 said:

With Fozza on the Richie Havens version of Here comes the sun, ever since Woodstock and release of his Alarm clock album.

next would be Reba's If I fell the version we used to do in our band

OOH! the delicious Reba.  I have most of her recordings and just love the way she can roll words around her tongue so that they take on completely new sounds.  Her version of the Everly Brothers' "Cathy's Clown" is a prime example.