Why become a member? ×

Favourite Beatles cover.

Paul S

40 minutes ago, bassace said:

I don’t know about best, but I’ve always been struck by Its Only Love by Gary US Bonds. Backing is a bit OTT but it’s well sung.

Great version IMO too. Came off the 1981 album ‘Dedication’ produced by Steve Van Zandt and Bruce Springsteen.

(OTT backing courtesy of The E Street Band) 😉

7 minutes ago, casapete said:

Great version IMO too. Came off the 1981 album ‘Dedication’ produced by Steve Van Zandt and Bruce Springsteen.

(OTT backing courtesy of The E Street Band) 😉

Oh, so Clarence on OTT sax then. Let’s say it was a bit over- mixed.🤭

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, PaulWarning said:

Favourite of mine is Souxsie and the Banshees doing Dear Prudence

3 hours ago, Rumple said:

Mine too

2 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

And mine, an amazing version.

And mine, so we'd better hear it. 🙂

Also, showing my love of a good pop song. 

Edited by Maude
  • Like 1

Love the Beatles early stuff but never got into Sgt. Pepper and thought Abbey Road was a bit of a strange mix.

As to covers; Joe Cocker - obviously and the Stevie Wonder track already mentioned.

Top of my list is "Ticket to Ride" by the Carpenters.

• Like 1

I'm assuming that many of my Basschat friends are genuinely posting cover versions that they genuinely like, and that they genuinely want to share them with their friends.

That said, most of the versions posted above are such complete and utter **** that I am genuinely staggered that anyone would waste a few electrons on posting them anywhere except to Trump supporters they're trying to wind up.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

Bwahahahahahahahaha!!!!

Not a trace, not even a vestige, of the original song left ... just SRV playing yet another SRV sound-alike.

Since when did a cover have to be 100%, or even 2%, similar to the original? It can be anything in between and would be fairly pointless if it was exactly the same as the original, no? 🤔

6 minutes ago, Jonesy said:

Since when did a cover have to be 100%, or even 2%, similar to the original? It can be anything in between and would be fairly pointless if it was exactly the same as the original, no? 🤔

A perfectly reasonable question. The answer is, if you want to record a 'cover' that is completely unrecognisable as the song you've copied, then your time would probably have been better spent writing an original song.

Or in SRV's case re-writing the same song as last time. Again.

YMMV

For the avoidance of doubt, I am actually an SRV fan. No, really I am. I like his style and his sound, and I'm no more bothered by the fact that all his songs sound the same than I am about many other musicians where the same applies.

I just don't see how the piece of music linked to managed to achieve anything. He made The Beatles sound like SRV. Congratulations. Well done that man.

🙄

Edited by Happy Jack

4 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

A perfectly reasonable question. The answer is, if you want to record a 'cover' that is completely unrecognisable as the song you've copied, then your time would probably have been better spent writing an original song.

Or in SRV's case re-writing the same song as last time. Again.

YMMV

For the avoidance of doubt, I am actually an SRV fan. No, really I am. I like his style and his sound, and I'm no more bothered by the fact that all his songs sound the same than I am about many other musicians where the same applies.

I just don't see how the piece of music linked to managed to achieve anything. He made The Beatles sound like SRV. Congratulations. Well done that man.

🙄

Fair do's. Personally, some of my favourite covers are the ones that sound most unlike the originals. If I wanted to hear something that sounded like the original then I'd listen to the original song in the first place. 

I'm with you on SRV songs sounding fairly samey. But I think that can be said about a lot of blues artists. Reggae too, there's only so many riddims out there (to my ears anyway). 

• Like 2