Why become a member? ×

Favourite Beatles cover.

Paul S

I know a lot of these have been flagged up at various times but I thought it might be neat to curate them in one place.

I am by no means a fan of the Beatles but I often enjoy covers of their tunes.  I could pick several but the freshest one for me, as I only heard it the other day, is this cover of 'Come Together' by Gary Clark Jr.  Apparently it was used in some film or other and been around a while but, as usual, I am late to the party.  There are a few live versions kicking around but I like this one, it has a raw power and intensity about it.

The biggest problem is sitting through 1:45 secs of some bellend who hosts the show and trying to score points off them.  WTAF is that about?  Anyway, fast forward to avoid.

Please list your faves, with links of course.  And only one at a time, please!

• Like 2

The band has a name that the forum software changes to "Craddock", which took me a while to get my head round, and the cover gives the song yet more of what it already had

Hey Bulldog is weirdly obscure for a solidly second tier Beatles song, and, as David Bowie pointed out, F-A-N-N-Y were a much underrated group. This was recorded in 1972.

(I once read that this song was the final true Lennon-McCartney collaboration, but I don't know how accurate that claim is)

Edited by Ricky Rioli
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Ricky Rioli said:

Hey Bulldog (1972)

Sorry for failing to work out which button to press to embed the youtube clip. The band has a name that the forum software changes to "Craddock", which took me a while to get my head round, and the cover gives the song yet more of what it already had

Just paste the link in and it should auto embed.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Paul S said:

I am by no means a fan of the Beatles but I often enjoy covers of their tunes.  I could pick several but the freshest one for me, as I only heard it the other day, is this cover of 'Come Together' by Gary Clark Jr.  Apparently it was used in some film or other and been around a while but, as usual, I am late to the party.  There are a few live versions kicking around but I like this one, it has a raw power and intensity about it.

You beat me to it! That cover was the first that sprung to mind when I saw the thread title. I really dig it.

Sticking to the Bluesy theme - here's SRV covering 'Taxman'

• Like 1

for me it has to be Aretha Franklin's recording of Let it Be, she definitely gave it the soul that i feel the Beatles version lacked.

there are a couple of compilations by ace records that are full of great covers of Beatles tracks, many of them better than the originals ( IMO YMMV etc etc etc)

Various Artists (Black America Sings) - Come Together: Black America Sings Lennon & McCartney - Ace Records

Various Artists (Black America Sings) - Let It Be - Black America Sings Lennon, McCartney And Harrison - Ace Records

Matt

Edit for spelling, and i've just ordered the Let it be compilation as i don't have it yet.

Edited by Matt P
spelling
  • Like 1