Why become a member? ×

Ashdown Rootmaster RM owners club

Guest BassAdder27

14 minutes ago, Machines said:

I just called him too. He said that the RM is not a silent amp designed for home practise, but designed for stage use - so the fan runs permanently. 

However, it is possible to add a thermal switch to the fan circuit, so it only runs when it gets to a certain temperature - which is unlikely to happen at home. A superb solution.

Well I think the issue has been resolved but I disagree the RM series is definitely suitable for home use with fan running ( normally quiet ) 

My ABM head has a noisier fan but it’s for gigging 

14 minutes ago, Machines said:

it is possible to add a thermal switch to the fan circuit, so it only runs when it gets to a certain temperature - which is unlikely to happen at home. A superb solution.

Dave was going to do that to my one when I first got it, but it was so quiet I left it as it was, if it gets noisier I’ll get him do it 

• 2 weeks later...

Yea I returned the head and will Hang on a while and get the evo 2.

Just a nod to how awesome Ashdowns service is, I had emailed Dave prior to phoning him. I got an email 2 days ago saying , 'sorry for late reply but is this the Same Gav from Ireland I spoke to the other week about a noisy fan?'

I love that.

I read somewhere else about putting a switch on the fan and one person raised a good point.....If you forget to switch it back on before a gig, or it gets bumped to off during setup you'd be in trouble. Made sense to me.

On 22/03/2022 at 14:09, BassAdder27 said:

Well I think the issue has been resolved but I disagree the RM series is definitely suitable for home use with fan running ( normally quiet ) 

My ABM head has a noisier fan but it’s for gigging 

Yea what Dave said to me was that all the fan is supposed to do is circulate air not suck air in and force air out. Just to keep air moving around so yea should be fine at home. I love the fact he could hear mine over the phone and straight away said 'nope, shouldn't babe doing that.'

8 hours ago, Pegdrums said:

I love the fact he could hear mine over the phone and straight away said 'nope, shouldn't babe doing that.'

see how good they are ?  just a phone call to Dave and hes already calling you babe 😁

• Haha 2

• 4 weeks later...

Hey y'all.

I've recently become a proud onwner of a EVO-II. 
Can anyone recommended a gig bag or hard-case at a (fairly) reasonable price?

I saw a mention of a RokSak large, but couldn't find one that fits.

I know some other users have got a fairly cheap and cheerful hardcase from ebay, so I'd appreciate confirmation of one that fits and is up to the job!
It's been a bit of a minefield trying to find something with the right dimensions.
Cheers!

1 hour ago, yourfurryfiend said:

Hey y'all.

I've recently become a proud onwner of a EVO-II. 
Can anyone recommended a gig bag or hard-case at a (fairly) reasonable price?

I saw a mention of a RokSak large, but couldn't find one that fits.

I know some other users have got a fairly cheap and cheerful hardcase from ebay, so I'd appreciate confirmation of one that fits and is up to the job!
It's been a bit of a minefield trying to find something with the right dimensions.
Cheers!

I have my Roksak large bag still but don’t use it anymore and did consider selling it but for £34 delivered it didn’t seem worth it .. are you near Suffolk ? 
I had my RM800 in it 

Edited by BassAdder27

1 hour ago, BassAdder27 said:

have my Roksak large bag still but don’t use it anymore and did consider selling it but for £34 delivered it didn’t seem worth it .. are you near Suffolk ? 
I had my RM800 in it 

Alas, I am not near Suffolk, thanks though! 

And... I've found it now on the BD site 😊 I'll give Roksak a go. 

Thanks for the info! 

On 22/04/2022 at 16:30, Lozz196 said:

I use a Wenger rucksack, not cheap but it’s practical, offers good protection and many other compartments for the leads etc.

I use a Wenger laptop bag! The handles are knackered and it's stuffed with cables etc. So anyone eyeing it to nick it will realise it's not got a laptop in, but it also doesn't scream "expensive musical equipment here!" Either!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Here's my storage solution. The aluminium case I got from Maplin some time ago to house another amp. Fits the Rootmaster, footswitch, mains cable and speaker cables perfectly. Think it was about £25 and was filled with cut away foam.

The footswitch isn't an Ashdown one. I checked with Dave Green and the footswitch is pretty standard make/break across tip/sleeve and ring/sleeve so I got this Neewer one, an NW-202 and it works a treat. It was £14.99 from Amazon.

I didn't know if the led's would work so disabled them.

1301936678_IMG_20220509_135353636_MP1.thumb.jpg.b9d52d55dd106b64ec1e06da2d7d9fe4.jpg153660760_IMG_20220509_135337397_MP1.thumb.jpg.bf0b9d54ac0563f17df289aafba3ad3c.jpg2025943907_IMG_20220509_1354186151.thumb.jpg.dc8d91fc9b38dfb2097b6950a303255e.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, BassBunny said:

Here's my storage solution. The aluminium case I got from Maplin some time ago to house another amp. Fits the Rootmaster, footswitch, mains cable and speaker cables perfectly. Think it was about £25 and was filled with cut away foam.

The footswitch isn't an Ashdown one. I checked with Dave Green and the footswitch is pretty standard make/break across tip/sleeve and ring/sleeve so I got this Neewer one, an NW-202 and it works a treat. It was £14.99 from Amazon.

I didn't know if the led's would work so disabled them.

1301936678_IMG_20220509_135353636_MP1.thumb.jpg.b9d52d55dd106b64ec1e06da2d7d9fe4.jpg153660760_IMG_20220509_135337397_MP1.thumb.jpg.bf0b9d54ac0563f17df289aafba3ad3c.jpg2025943907_IMG_20220509_1354186151.thumb.jpg.dc8d91fc9b38dfb2097b6950a303255e.jpg

That’s a nice job well done 

• 4 weeks later...

Now that my band might be on the way back, I`m looking to get another cab.

I have a 15" Ashdown neo cab and wonder if a 15" RM cab would be a good partner for it? Or I can get the 4 x 10 RM which seems manageable weight and size wise?

Or a 2 x 10 RM cab? Advice appreciated. 

10 hours ago, jezzaboy said:

I have a 15" Ashdown neo cab and wonder if a 15" RM cab would be a good partner for it? Or I can get the 4 x 10 RM which seems manageable weight and size wise?

I can't see an issue with any of these configurations.

Edited by Machines
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, jezzaboy said:

If you like the 15” NEO, get another one. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Merton said:

If you like the 15” NEO, get another one. 

They are quite expensive for what it is. I got it when Musik Prod were doing them cheap but I don`t think I would pay full price and there isn`t many around.

On 08/06/2022 at 10:01, jezzaboy said:

They are quite expensive for what it is. I got it when Musik Prod were doing them cheap but I don`t think I would pay full price and there isn`t many around.

They are hard to find but keep checking eBay and Reverb etc. Maybe put a wanted ad up on here. I prefer my ABM Neos to the Rootmaster cabs I had. I expect I'd prefer even more the non-Neo ABM cabs too and keep a track of those online, they go very cheap second hand but they are not lightweight.

37 minutes ago, uk_lefty said:

They are hard to find but keep checking eBay and Reverb etc. Maybe put a wanted ad up on here. I prefer my ABM Neos to the Rootmaster cabs I had. I expect I'd prefer even more the non-Neo ABM cabs too and keep a track of those online, they go very cheap second hand but they are not lightweight.

That’s my preference the ported “ compact” non Neo cabs 

They seem to handle more lows and volume compared to the Pro Neo versions ( sealed )