Why become a member? ×

Ashdown Rootmaster RM owners club

Guest BassAdder27

Had an issue with my RM 500 evo 2 at last night's gig.

Plugged in, unmuted and....... nothing.  Did the usual idiot checks, swapped the cable and still nothing.  Turned our background music off and could just about make out a static-y, fuzz pedal type noise that didn't change volume when I played with the input/output dials.

Of course, I'd forgotten to pack my backup power amp pedal.  Fortunately the DI was still working fine, so I went through the FOH and turned the bass up in my in ears.

Checked everything today and it looks like the problem is with the speakon connectors on the amp (DI is fine, headphone out is fine, cab works with other sources (originally thought it was a cab issue).  Quick video of the problem here.

Amp was new in Spring '20 so an email went off to Ashdown customer services today, but I wanted to see if anyone else has had a similar issue and might know of a fix?

15 minutes ago, colleya said:

Had an issue with my RM 500 evo 2 at last night's gig.

Plugged in, unmuted and....... nothing.  Did the usual idiot checks, swapped the cable and still nothing.  Turned our background music off and could just about make out a static-y, fuzz pedal type noise that didn't change volume when I played with the input/output dials.

Of course, I'd forgotten to pack my backup power amp pedal.  Fortunately the DI was still working fine, so I went through the FOH and turned the bass up in my in ears.

Checked everything today and it looks like the problem is with the speakon connectors on the amp (DI is fine, headphone out is fine, cab works with other sources (originally thought it was a cab issue).  Quick video of the problem here.

Amp was new in Spring '20 so an email went off to Ashdown customer services today, but I wanted to see if anyone else has had a similar issue and might know of a fix?

I had that issue once on my evo2, the headphone button was pressed in.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, la bam said:

I had that issue once on my evo2, the headphone button was pressed in.

Well, now I'm about 50/50 relieved that it was a single button fix and bloody annoyed at myself for not spotting it last night!

Thanks!

16 minutes ago, colleya said:

Well, now I'm about 50/50 relieved that it was a single button fix and bloody annoyed at myself for not spotting it last night!

Thanks!

Ha.  Had exactly the same thing happen when I took mine out on a gig the first time - confused the hell out of me for about half hour! 

Just now, jezzaboy said:

I never even knew there was a headphone button on the back! 

Good shout as no doubt I would have done the same myself :D

Me neither.  It's well worth checking out as it doesn't depress fully when engaged.  There's only a couple of mm difference between on and off, it's pretty proud and easily pressed accidentally (as I found out to my cost).

As @Lozz196 says, I'm feeling pretty foolish now.

39 minutes ago, BassAdder27 said:

Anyone discovered the RM amps compressor tends to blanket the tone slightly ?

Turned mine off and noticeable improvement in clarity 

Opposite for me, though it does a great job of amplifying electrical interference noises in my office. Might not interact well with effects or something you're using before it? What's in the path first?

58 minutes ago, uk_lefty said:

Opposite for me, though it does a great job of amplifying electrical interference noises in my office. Might not interact well with effects or something you're using before it? What's in the path first?

Nothing Bass straight in 

1 hour ago, BassAdder27 said:

Anyone discovered the RM amps compressor tends to blanket the tone slightly ?

Turned mine off and noticeable improvement in clarity 

Yes I’ve found that, used a pedal compressor last night and was much better. Same with the drive, switched it off and greater clarity, though that could also just be down to “less bulky”. Whichever I think for my current useage it’s drive & compression off. 

Funny thing is I have the dual footswitch and with a mild drive setting I can’t hear when it’s on or off.

Why Ashdown didn’t put an LED on the footswitch !!

Yep I’m preferring not using the compressor or the drive / not the sub but the great tone it has without. 

I don't know if it's because I've had it for 4 years or more, or because it's just so well designed.... I bought a fantastic feature rich Trace amp a few months back (122H GP12 300watt combo in mint condition) for the 80s sound. It's bluddy great. BUT, for sheer ease of use, plug in twist a knob or two and get perfect tone for active, passive, fretted or not... You just can't beat a Rootmaster. 

You just can't.

• Like 1

Count me in please.

It's replaced a TC Electronic RH750 & RS212, the cab was just too long and didn't fit in this space well. Haven't had an Ashdown rig for about 8 years since my ABM was also heavy, this is the same tone but more than manageable.

PXL_20211012_181558378.thumb.jpg.f655d77de5da80f9dfec1fab611d1cb9.jpg

• Like 5

• Guest changed the title to Ashdown Rootmaster RM owners club