Why become a member? ×

Ashdown Rootmaster RM owners club

Guest BassAdder27

9 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

This stuff?590C6738-6CD7-4A89-A295-4890A9D9ED92.thumb.png.ae215314a5f7c1e336fdffb2c124984f.png

Yes exactly this. I have a small section that I keep with the RM800 in it's bag. If I take the amp out of the bag then this grippy matting stops it vibrating off the cab.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Lozz196 said:

I’ve stuck some of that on one of my cabs to stop amp-slippage

I’m now on a furry cab so it’s not an issue, but my cat kept on trying to get near it, so I’ve had to spend £60 on a cover…

swings and roundabouts.

I followed your piece of advice. It worked perfectly. Here's is a pìc of my RM500 paired with the RM112 I used yesterday.

I am considering getting another RM112, but this one is already really loud. Besides, I also have an old RM210 (the first generation) and I'm also happy with it, so I'm not sure about anopther one.

20210731_220008.jpg

Edited by javi_bassist
  • Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

Just to prove how these threads can turn your head, today I bought a RM 500 from Musik Produktiv for the rather decent price of £254.

Should pair up ok with my ABM Mini 2 x 10 running at 4 ohms. Always fancied one of those heads, just need some gigs now!

• Like 5

41 minutes ago, nilebodgers said:

Errrr, I shouldn't have looked. Musik Produktiv have the RM210s very cheap. A second one would be great to go with the one I already have.

Of course I don't NEED another one.

They were also doing the 112's at the ridiculous price of 156 Euros (about £135)

I grabbed one of the last ones and it arrived today. Can't go wrong at that price. 

IMG_20210823_112019.jpg

• Like 2

My RM800 EVO2 Musik Productiv purchase arrived this afternoon:

I managed about an hour through it when I got back from work early.  I really love the sound. Compared to my MarkBass head through the Super Compact, the RM800 is considerably more punchy and bright, though it is warm too.  I thought the punchiness might be due to my compressor's attack/release settings so I turned it off and the punchiness remains.  The Super Compact and RM800 EVO2 seems to be a match made in heaven.

IMG_0239.jpeg

Edited by BillyBass
  • Like 8

6 minutes ago, BillyBass said:

My RM800 EVO2 Musik Productiv purchase arrived this afternoon:

I managed about an hour through it when I got back from work early.  I really love the sound. Compared to my MarkBass head through the Super Compact, the RM800 is considerably more punchy and bright, though it is warm too.  I thought the punchiness might be due to my compressor's attack/release settings so I turned it off and the punchiness remains.  The Super Compact and RM800 EVO2 seems to be a match made in heaven.

IMG_0239.jpeg

Oh that’s it - I need a Super Compact!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Happypants said:

Oh that’s it - I need a Super Compact!

Everybody needs a Super Compact😉

But seriously...I've only played it at home but was really pleasantly surprised just how bright and punchy the combination is.  Super Compacts aren't bright, they are pretty FRFR and have no tweeter.  I don't like the sound through the MarkBass amp I own, but if you play Motown with a P bass with flats, it might be right for you.

I like a brighter punchy sound for rock and, at least at home, this combination sounded fantastic.  I will have to take it to our next rehearsal for a sterner test.

Is this an end to my amp GAS?

Yes that’s it, the actual mids are at 660. Although I love the RM amps (make that Ashdown gear in total) I never really got why the controls weren’t all labelled with the frequency or labelled bass, low-mid, mid, hi-mid, treble. Just seems a bit of a mid-match. Still, they sound great, that’s what counts.

• Like 2

Thanks Lozz!

I assumed that's what they may be, but the manual doesn't make any mention of it! Nice to finally know for sure.

I've not had the chance to put it through band volumes (next month), so have been experimenting at home so far. I think I've achieved a nice tone.....

1 hour ago, spongebob said:

Silly question........

Could someone please explain the 240hz and the 1k5hz knobs?

Are the simply low and high mids?

If of any interest, from spec sheet:

Bass +/-15dB @ 100Hz

Lo Mid +/-15dB @ 220Hz

Middle +/-15dB @ 660Hz

Hi Mid +/-15dB @ 1.6kHz

Treble +/-15dB @ 7kHz

Edit: but the manual has the low mids at “340Hz”?

Edited by Happypants
  • Like 1

I played one of these in a rehearsal room last night. I was through an Ashdown ABM 410H-EVO IV.

I noticed, that when you turned the master any higher than halfway, the volume didn't get any louder.

This was with the gain at full.

I wonder what that's all about?

My GK MB800 doesn't have this issue.

Edited by gjones

That’s strange, Ashdown usually have their controls so you have to fully turn them to get full out of them.

How loud was it, as my RM500 through one of those cabs was at gig volumes (for a punk band) at 2o’clock on Gain and 9o’clock on Volume. If you were having to go to halfway on volume with gain on full through an ABM410 I’d think there might be something wrong with the amp - my ears would have bled with mine at those settings.

For practice my Rm800 with 210 cab is at about 9o clock and gain set around 1pm so needle stays out of red 

Very loud amps so I guess it either had a fault or a knob slipping on the pot shaft ? !!! 

EQ settings make a huge difference to overall volume too 

I use my RM800 playing a PBass with pick and shape in and EQ in but all set flat 

Adjust mids slightly to make punchy but not too much 

If a boomy room back off bass to 11 o’clock 

Bit of zing add high mids slightly 1oclock

Rock add a tiny bit of drive ( barely on ) 

Compressor leave off 

Think I'll definitely be sticking to my tried and tested pick style. 

Restrung the P with some Rotosound 77 flats, and with a pick, it sounds like a beast through the combo alone. Shape in, slight mid boost, and a dash of compression. 

Compared to my old Markbass stuff, the presence is simply unreal!

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, verb said:

With the very tempting price of the RM800 EVO II, I'm struggling to find a reason not to buy one. Any suggestions?

if you don't buy it then someone else will and he'll have it and you won't.  Thats a suggestion why you should buy one.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Guest changed the title to Ashdown Rootmaster RM owners club