Why become a member? ×

Ashdown Rootmaster RM owners club

Guest BassAdder27

I posted this photo on the other thread but I'll repeat it here.  RM800 EVO II.  Something I have noticed with this amp (apart from the notched volume control which I really don't like but I know Mr @Merton does) is that because it is so light and the rubber feet are quite hard, it vibrates itself off the top of the cab. I have to put something on top to hold it down, or leave it in the bag.  I'm sure the slippy BF cab surface doesn't help either. 

The Shape button setting is also different to my ABM600 and my Studio 10 practice amp. On these two, Shape is flat when the button is IN. on the RM, Shape is flat when the button is OUT. 

20200819_230037.thumb.jpg.b2514c21c757405262f199fdb6264e7b.jpg

• Like 3

I'm running the exact same rig as you...only got my RM800 literally yesterday and haven't had anywhere near enough time to  play around and get used to it, but having initial very early strange sounds to my ears...as explained in the other thread...to my ears, hearing like a "double" signal almost...I need to play with the EQ, drive, input settings more...

• Like 1

Just now, lou24d53 said:

...as explained in the other thread...to my ears, hearing like a "double" signal almost...I need to play with the EQ, drive, input settings more...

Yes I read that. I can only think it's coming from the sub harmonics. I'm pretty sure I'm not experiencing anything like that. I'll check through headphones later just to be sure. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Muppet said:

I posted this photo on the other thread but I'll repeat it here.  RM800 EVO II.  Something I have noticed with this amp (apart from the notched volume control which I really don't like but I know Mr @Merton does) is that because it is so light and the rubber feet are quite hard, it vibrates itself off the top of the cab. I have to put something on top to hold it down, or leave it in the bag.  I'm sure the slippy BF cab surface doesn't help either. 

The Shape button setting is also different to my ABM600 and my Studio 10 practice amp. On these two, Shape is flat when the button is IN. on the RM, Shape is flat when the button is OUT. 

20200819_230037.thumb.jpg.b2514c21c757405262f199fdb6264e7b.jpg

Another cracking rig :)

It's a good point about the amp being light - the beauty of the original RM800 and the EVO models is they are heavier at around 5kg so they have more holding them down on the cab. Maybe that's enough reason for me to not get over excited about an EVO ii :D

50 minutes ago, Muppet said:

Yep, crazy decision that one. Surely having this the same on all amps would be better.

17 hours ago, Muppet said:

You have my sympathies: there's not much point having lightweight gear if you have to carry a brick round with you to stop it going walkies.

But I don't think you can blame the amp for vibrating "itself off the top of the cab". It's the cab that's vibrating. Other cabs which don't do this are available.

Edited by stevie

3 hours ago, stevie said:

You have my sympathies: there's not much point having lightweight gear if you have to carry a brick round with you to stop it going walkies.

But I don't think you can't blame the amp for vibrating "itself off the top of the cab". It's the cab that's vibrating. Other cabs which don't do this are available.

I have resorted to luggage straps when faced with a similar dancing head. Also a non slip mat. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BlueMoon said:

I routinely use a ribbed or "squared" car mat under any class D (light) amp to help prevent it  wandering around - or even falling off - the cab beneath. Works for me.

I do similar, bought some ribbed matting from either the bay or the zon and glued it to the of one of my cabs, including spray adhesive cost less than £15 to get the job done and I had enough to do about 5 or 6 cabs.

1 hour ago, javi_bassist said:

I'm thinking about getting a Markbass NY151. Which cabs do you use?

Yeah, that’s what I use, the NY 151’s, I’m really happy with mine, they have a really deep warm sound and  are really light, very solid with no rattle or vibration noise , just to add javi, they do the mids and highs well too, they aren’t muddy like some seem to think 🙂

Edited by Reggaebass
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, stewblack said:

Wish I'd not sold mine. Such a great, deep sound. 

I remember your ones stew, didn’t you switch to BF cabs, how do they compare, I’ve been tempted by those many times, the one I want is the dubster but they don’t come up very often 

Btw, without reading back, can mind if it was this thread or the other recent one that they were mentioned on.

Just to advise anyone interested, I emailed Ashdown the other day, they are waiting on the RM gig bags coming back in, should be shown available on the website by Thursday / Friday this week. 👍

• Like 1

• Guest changed the title to Ashdown Rootmaster RM owners club