Why become a member? ×

Ashdown Rootmaster RM owners club

Guest BassAdder27

Thought I would start an appreciation for the Ashdown Rootmaster series amps 

I’m a proud owner of the RM800 EVO II 

Post your comments experiences settings etc etc on any Ashdown Rootmaster RM series amps / cabs etc 

Edited by BassAdder27

Good call.

I’ve got the RM500 EVO II and have had the EVO I version as well - moved it on for the EVO II for the dull finish control plate as middle aged eyesight found the shiny EVO I difficult to see on stage.

For myself I’ve always used mine flat with my Tech21 Para Driver providing the eq & drive.

I used it - when I had to use my own cabs - with either an Ashdown ABM410 or two RM210s. Other than that it went into whatever cab was at the gig, and it’s one of those amps that sounded good through all of them. I found that leaving the eq on the Para Driver alone and just using the bass control on the amp to compensate for boomy cabs/staged worked the best. 

Edited by Lozz196
  • Like 1

I have a pre-production RM500 but have only been able to play it at bedroom level through my Barefaced Two10. Sounded extremely good with a solid sound.  I have'nt had chance to really see what it can do so can't wait to give it a real try out.

I have an RM500 (don't know what 'evo') in a combo with a 12",  also the matching 12" extension cab. 

I have gigged it (an outside gig, no PA support) in a 7 piece. It was all I needed, sounded great. Coped effortlessly under what I would describe as the worst possible circumstances for a bass. 

I use it for rehearsals too, but just the combo. It is capable of astonishing bottom end for such a light, and small unit. 

I bought it after selling my ABM600 and while it isn't the same animal, the RM gets close enough. With the shape button engaged and a little boost of the mid eq it has a lovely warm punch. The main difference with the ABM is the drive control. The older amp had a great valve sound whereas this RM is more of a distortion. 

Only thing I struggle with is the shiny fascia. But that's just because I'm old. 

I have the RM500 I. The reflective panel does not bother me. It sits on top of my ABM300. I bought it because I wanted the Ashdown sound, but being able to Carry it around for gigs. Therefore I also got me two Hartke 112 lightweight speakers. I love the sound of my Rootmaster.

• Like 1

RM500 EVOII here. Had it 2 years. Moved over from an ampeg PF-500 which I loved.

i wanted to join the Ashdown family because I think their ethos is excellent.

I simply love it and it weighs 2.5Kg and it is certainly more than loud enough, I should really get some matching cabs but with no gigs, there's just no point

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Merton said:

@Reggaebass and I clearly have similar taste because one of my other heads is a Little Bastard :D

And it’s thanks to you Merton that I bought the LB a few years ago after seeing your one☝️ , and I’m really enjoying the RM , it’s really doing everything I want at the moment 🙂

• Like 1

It’s interesting that assuming most run the shape button out ?? 

The EQ settings appear to be very similar between users 

Mostly a small bass boost 

I love the low volume tone of the shape button IN but I think you would be buried in the mix perhaps ?? Does add a ton of low end 

10 hours ago, BassAdder27 said:

love the low volume tone of the shape button IN but I think you would be buried in the mix perhaps ?? Does add a ton of low end 

Generally begin with all flat. Add  little drive. Shape in, wind up the mid until you hit the sweet spot. 

Works for me! 

Yep I start with all flat. Shape In or Out depends on what I'm playing and who with. Quiet home practice etc it tends to be in, but as I get louder and need to cut through the mix more I take it out. A little bit of drive and compression, crank to ear-bleeding level, grin from ear to ear.

• Like 5

I've had the 500 for quite a few years now, bought 2nd hand on here. It's got everything you could possibly need. My favourite was running 2x Root aster 1x15s off it, but I'm currently running a 1x15 and a 2x10, both Root master of course. 

Settings wise it depends on the bass. When I had a Sire because the EQ was so incredible I used to disable the amp EQ and use the Sire on board. Now it's a bit of bass and treble boost for most, or a mid boost for fretless. 

I carry it around in an old laptop bag. 

• Like 2

On 11/01/2021 at 07:39, Stofferson said:

Haha, not 100% sure that's how I left it, but it's not far off tbf.

Below is more realistic

20210109_164239.jpg

I love this pic. I need to do a family shot again too, will get on it later. Too much shiny chrome on my amps though s you'll see my ugly mug in the reflection :D

• Like 2

• Guest changed the title to Ashdown Rootmaster RM owners club