Why become a member? ×

Upgrading my audio interface...with caveats

EliasMooseblaster

With one recording project complete, I'm obviously thinking about the next one. I've been quite pleased with what I can get out of a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 going into Ardour on Ubuntu, but for the next project I want something with a couple more mic inputs. The 8i8 therefore looks appealing, however, I understand that the more advanced Focusrite interfaces are controlled in part via proprietary software. Crucially, I hear, this includes switching between the preamp and line level inputs on the XLR sockets.

Has anyone else tried running one of these in Linux? Or can anyone recommend a decent competitor? (I see Tascam offer the 208i at a similar price, and that looks like it's fully hardware controlled - thoughts?)

If I'm reading this right, the Focusrite 8i8 gives you somewhat enhanced capability over the 2i2 at a cost of £309.

https://www.gak.co.uk/en/focusrite-scarlett-18i8-usb-audio-interface-3rd-gen/927813?gclid=CjwKCAiA_9r_BRBZEiwAHZ_v10AcHkK45zVHZTH51rRBJJzXCKyiSURK2Ht0JrTVNKLplo37VOFz6BoCpMoQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

On t'other hand, the Behringer XR18 with X-Air app gives you a complete 16-track recording studio for £389.

https://www.andertons.co.uk/behringer-x-air-xr18-18-channel-12-bus-digital-mixer-for-ipad-android-tablets-zb852?utm_source=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=surfaces&gclid=CjwKCAiA_9r_BRBZEiwAHZ_v101t4mH-E0XfYrqvVr7Ci2bERFfEl5YU6CqcGNgqPb7lmKa2q3k58BoCGIkQAvD_BwE

@Silvia Bluejay and I use our XR18 to front-end Reaper v.6. It's early days yet for us, but it clearly works.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I must admit, the style of music I'm making doesn't necessarily require 24/192 KHz, but I do know that I like the sound of Focusrite's mic preamps. Having four of those in one box is the main attraction.

On the other hand, Behringer do offer some native support for Linux, which Focusrite do not. This hasn't been an issue so far, as I can control the 2i2 entirely from its physical controls, and Ardour talks to it quite happily. I'm concerned this may not be as true with the 8i8, which could be a strong plus point for the XR18.

Edited by EliasMooseblaster