Why become a member? ×

Online tools and tips to fill the forms for selling abroad

Hellzero

Being it from U.K. to Europe and the rest of the world or the other way, here are some very useful guides, tips and tools.

First of all, a guide for selling outside U.K. for everyone https://www.sendcloud.co.uk/whitepapers/

Everything you need is there too, just scroll down.

Their CN22/CN23 online generator is just a no time waster tool, just as is their HS tariff finder.

CN22/CN23 (better use a CN23 even if it's not mandatory, type N.A. in "Business name" if you're a private person and the same for the "Invoice number" and "Incoterms", then tick Yes in "Shipping with national carrier" for a complete CN23) generator : https://www.sendcloud.co.uk/shipping-tools/customs-forms/

HS tariff finder https://www.sendcloud.co.uk/shipping-tools/hs-codes/

All you need to add is a Pro Forma invoice clearly stating that the seller and buyer are not subject to VAT if you are a private seller or an official invoice if you are in the business (VAT registered) and a copy of the proof of payment so the customs can match the values. All these in, theoretically 2 copies, but read for specific requirements.

I also always add, in the comments, the type of wood(s) used for an instrument with their scientific name (almost always in Latin, check the Internet).

If some woods used are on the CITES list, you'll need to join a certificate in 2 copies too, but again check carefully what is needed.

For foreigners, always fill the forms in English for faster customs clearance wherever you're located.

With these informations, you'll be able to send easily anything below 8000 Euros (check for the official value in GBP). Above this amount, it's a bit more trickier.

With all the right informations provided, the customs clearance will be faster than you might have thought.

And all these informations, downloads, finders and generators are free !

Edited by Hellzero
Title changed

10 minutes ago, Hellzero said:

Being it from U.K. to Europe and the rest of the world or the other way, here are some very useful guides, tips and tools.

First of all, a guide for selling outside U.K. for everyone https://www.sendcloud.co.uk/whitepapers/

Everything you need is there too, just scroll down.

Their CN22/CN23 online generator is just a no time waster tool, just as is their HS tariff finder.

CN22/CN23 (better use a CN23 even if it's not mandatory, type N.A. in "Business name" if you're a private person and the same for the "Invoice number" and "Incoterms", then tick Yes in "Shipping with national carrier" for a complete CN23) generator : https://www.sendcloud.co.uk/shipping-tools/customs-forms/

HS tariff finder https://www.sendcloud.co.uk/shipping-tools/hs-codes/

All you need to add is a Pro Forma invoice clearly stating that the seller and buyer are not subject to VAT if you are a private seller or an official invoice if you are in the business (VAT registered) and a copy of the proof of payment so the customs can match the values. All these in, theoretically 2 copies, but read for specific requirements.

I also always add, in the comments, the type of wood(s) used for an instrument with their scientific name (almost always in Latin, check the Internet).

If some woods used are on the CITES list, you'll need to join a certificate in 2 copies too, but again check carefully what is needed.

For foreigners, always fill the forms in English for faster customs clearance wherever you're located.

With these informations, you'll be able to send easily anything below 8000 Euros (check for the official value in GBP). Above this amount, it's a bit more trickier.

With all the right informations provided, the customs clearance will be faster than you might have thought.

And all these informations, downloads, finders and generators are free !

All very laudable but please be careful. Who says "better use a CN23" and will people understand the importance of incoterms. You don't just select one at random.

I'm not saying this is necessarily wrong but I am saying that you should approach this with caution and don't just use something because someone says you should or you've just spent 2 minutes reading an explanation on the internet. Yes, this is straightforward for people who do it daily but it's not straightforward.

If you are a business. take advice from the carrier. They have the necessary experience to tell you what you need to do. The HS code tool could be useful although there are many such tools on the internet.

Again, apologies for the cautious note. Getting something wrong could end in confiscation.

• Like 2

Thanks for the cautions @Steve Browning, in fact I was waiting for them.

These cautions are indeed useful, but the use of CN23 as explained is for private persons, not business. Try a simulation and you'll see that the system can recommend the use of a CN22 instead when it's enough.

If you're in the business, as stated in their guide and as I wrote, trust the carrier.

I always did my forms filling by hand before, but these tools are very helpful and time savers, and also because hand writing can be very hard to decipher sometimes and subject to interpretation.

For those hesitant or not trusting themselves (or myself), they can ask for specific questions, I'm sure you'll answer very friendly.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Steve Browning said:

All very laudable but please be careful. Who says "better use a CN23" and will people understand the importance of incoterms. You don't just select one at random.

I'm not saying this is necessarily wrong but I am saying that you should approach this with caution and don't just use something because someone says you should or you've just spent 2 minutes reading an explanation on the internet. Yes, this is straightforward for people who do it daily but it's not straightforward.

If you are a business. take advice from the carrier. They have the necessary experience to tell you what you need to do. The HS code tool could be useful although there are many such tools on the internet.

Again, apologies for the cautious note. Getting something wrong could end in confiscation.

Steve

Isnt the overall message that for non business buyers it is now 20% VAT plus more to buy from Europe?

Given that European prices always seemed to me to be at the top of the range anyway, this in general makes buying from Europe a no no?

Gareth 

20 minutes ago, gareth said:

... it is now 20% VAT plus more to buy from Europe? ...

20% VAT applied to the HT price + shipping (if there is a shipping cost...) plus, maybe, a handling charge. Best to wait for 'real-life' examples, though before jumping to over-hasty conclusions. More expensive..? Maybe, by a little, but perhaps still less so than sourcing in the UK, if the item is even available in the UK. All speculation for now, really. We'll know more in a few week's time; I'll wait till then before pronouncing doom and gloom or la vie en rose:|

Edited by Dad3353

This is not the same thing. I've not seen the explanations on how to fill the forms or what to do to send abroad, nor links to shipping forms generators elsewhere. Sorry, but all I've seen is a complete mess without the user manual... Read the first post and open the links and you'll understand. But I understand that it has, hélas, already derailed.