Why become a member? ×

NAMM - Believe in Music Week - Jan 18-22

Eldon Tyrell

As we know, there is no "real" Winter NAMM this year, due to obvious reasons. However, there will be an event called "NAMM - Believe in Music Week" and it'll run from Jan 18-22.  It will feature livestreams, entertainment, live music. training and teaching sessions, product presentations, a marketplace and attendee-to-attendee chats. Registration is for free. I have registered and I am looking forward to the event (esp. new product info). Here are some more details: 

NAMM - Believe in Music Week

NAMM - Believe in Music Week Schedule

Attendee Calendar - Believe in Music Week | NAMM.org

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Eldon Tyrell said:

No idea what the NAMM marketing masterminds had in mind. What do you think they mean by it?

Music doesn't need belief.  And even if it does, believe in what?  The only context I can think of is gospel and if the intent is to appeal to musicians of faith then it seems like clumsy, maybe even patronising example of value signalling.  Please tell me I'm mistaken.

12 minutes ago, Kiwi said:

Music doesn't need belief.  And even if it does, believe in what?  The only context I can think of is gospel and if the intent is to appeal to musicians of faith then it seems like clumsy, maybe even patronising example of value signalling.  Please tell me I'm mistaken.

Good points. As I said, I have no idea what the marketing people had in mind. Maybe they just thought it sounds good or maybe they were Cher or Journey fans 😉

On 11/01/2021 at 13:46, Kiwi said:

Nah as someone of faith if I was writing a tag line for an event and wanted to attract the CCM crowd "believe in music" is the opposite of what I would go for. 
I think someone furloughed the decent copywriter. Or it's just an americanism.
Music doesn't need belief, possibly the whole music industry does? 

25 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

I think someone furloughed the decent copywriter.

Someone would have had to sign off on it as well.  There are plenty of references to worship amongst the rest of the listings for appearances, so it looks like they're being very calculating.

On 11/01/2021 at 13:46, Kiwi said:

There's certainly a lot of evidence of "faith" or "worship" music in the listed events and sponsorships, e.g. a Yamaha-sponsored Night of Worship on the Thursday and Lincoln Brewster leading a Worship Musician Chapel on the following morning.  But I prefer to "believe" that it means we can believe in a future for music, despite what's going on.  Naive, perhaps...

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Eldon Tyrell said:

No worries. I've got plenty 😎

Will post some in the Spector thread asap. Maybe create a "new Stingray Special Colours" thread too. 

I was referring to the pics of "here's me with Stevie Wonder" on Facebook.

(When Stevie Wonder is just a blurred bob in the background, nowhere near the poster of said pic)

2 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

(When Stevie Wonder is just a blurred bob in the background, nowhere near the poster of said pic)

Ups, sorry, got that wrong. Well, still hope you enjoy the NAMM photos 🙂

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, EBS_freak said:

Probably still better than Stevie Wonder's selfies with others.

Bw4QIqrIcAA4KSe.jpg

On 16/01/2021 at 17:20, petecarlton said:

There's certainly a lot of evidence of "faith" or "worship" music in the listed events and sponsorships, e.g. a Yamaha-sponsored Night of Worship on the Thursday and Lincoln Brewster leading a Worship Musician Chapel on the following morning.  But I prefer to "believe" that it means we can believe in a future for music, despite what's going on.  Naive, perhaps...

If you think every church in America (or even the western world)  will have at least one musicians rota, and above a certain size need some kind of PA or something so they ppl can hear them at the back... that's a lot of instruments and a lot of kit installs... and a big market. 

• Like 1

On 11/01/2021 at 04:41, Eldon Tyrell said:

No idea what the NAMM marketing masterminds had in mind. What do you think they mean by it?

It means they needed actual NAMM members to pay actual US Dollars to promote NAMM stuff this year. It's a code word for "job security", mostly.

Edited by Passinwind
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...