Why become a member? ×

Courier Success!

Burns-bass

We're always talking about how bad couriers are, but I'd like to shout out that DPD did a great job. I had arranged to send a bass to Germany late December. They picked up the parcel on Monday 21st of December, then promptly cancelled the delivery due to the border shutdown. I managed to get an update from a *real person* who told me not to worry and it would all be sorted.

After a few worrying days, it popped up again and went on its merry way, only to face the worrying possibility the new owner would face expensive import duties (or the parcel would be returned to me). 

DPD fought my corner and in the end the parcel was landed in Germany just before the deadline day. It was delivered yesterday to its new owner with no fees, import duties or damage.

Well done DPD.

• Like 5

Really happy to read a nice story about a courier.

I think couriers are largely as good as one another overall. For every negative about DPD, FedEx, Royal Mail, Hermes, there will be loads of positives that nobody talks about.

Despite all the horror stories, I used Hermes for well over 70 packages in November/December and had 1 problem out of all of them. I sent maybe 10 through Real Mail and had 2 problems.

I don't blame anyone - its just the way it goes :D

I've never really had any bad luck with couriers, a couple of times things have happened but we all make mistakes / have accidents sometimes. 

Being down in Cornwall everywhere is a long way so I use couriers a lot. 

I've recently bought a bass on ebay and arranged for a courier to collect it. North Yorkshire to Cornwall £12.50 including insurance as an instrument. This was DPD booked through Eurosender using the forum discount, 2 days door to door. 

I once received a bass wrapped in a single black bin liner, no damage amazingly, someone must have been extra careful with that one. 

Worst I've had was a Squier Bass vi from GAK, bent control knob, could've happened at any point in the supply chain, quickly returned and the next one was delivered in perfect shape, and a doublebass from Gedo which arrived from Germany with the fingerboard popped off, possibly courier handling, possibly manufacturing error as it was only where the glue let go. 

54 minutes ago, thebassist said:

Really happy to read a nice story about a courier.

I think couriers are largely as good as one another overall. For every negative about DPD, FedEx, Royal Mail, Hermes, there will be loads of positives that nobody talks about.

Despite all the horror stories, I used Hermes for well over 70 packages in November/December and had 1 problem out of all of them. I sent maybe 10 through Real Mail and had 2 problems.

I don't blame anyone - its just the way it goes :D

Agreed. I was really concerned about sending a bass in the post, so I went a little OTT with the packaging, including a hardcase and double boxing it etc. 

It was a bit nail-biting at times, but we got there in the end.