Why become a member? ×

The 2021 Gear Acquisition Thread

PatrickJ

11 hours ago, bassfan said:

Damn.... I bet I end up here by the end of the year 😂 

11 hours ago, walshy said:

Ah finally a place I can call home 😂

Out - Gibson Thunderbird 2003 , Custom built Gold P and Ashdown ABM600 

In Bergantino IP310 from Owen, 1988 Battered Stingray, 4 packs of Bass Boomers and 4 packs DR Sunbeams.

Im also trying to not buy a US Ampeg SVT CL 🤷‍♂️

Sorry, not sorry

This is like one of those competitions where everyone gets a prize 😁

• Haha 2

I dipped my toe back into the plugin market and snagged the Lindell Audio Channel X strip - a software emulation of their 6X-500 preamp, PEX 500 EQ and 77X-500 compressor (even though it's marked as a 7X it has the variable attack/release functions of it's big brother) in one package.

I also picked up the Brainworx Townhouse compressor emulation of a famed piece of hardware built in-house by Townhouse Studios engineers from an assortment of SSL components that they had laying around.  Primarily a buss compressor, it also works well on individual channels.

Big savings to be had using the Plug-in Alliance voucher and sale - £29 for what usually retails at $448 the pair!

They both go well with my Brainworx SSL 400 E and Neve VXS channel strips, and my Lindell Audio 80 1073/1084 channel strip.

FB3DB149-8115-49A8-BB14-1322C764F30D_1_201_a.jpeg

Screenshot 2021-01-06 at 12.36.39.png

Edited by DaytonaRik
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, DaytonaRik said:

...Big savings to be had using the Plug-in Alliance voucher and sale - £29 for what usually retails at $448 the pair!...

Big savings indeed, if one was going to buy these at the 'top' price anyway; otherwise, not really a 'saving' at all. Just sayin'. -_-

:lol: :P

1 hour ago, Dad3353 said:

Big savings indeed, if one was going to buy these at the 'top' price anyway; otherwise, not really a 'saving' at all. Just sayin'. -_-

:lol: :P

I'm trying to break away from the Slate subscription model so took the opportunity to start stocking plugin arsenal with the most used items - SSL 400 E console, Neve 1073/1084 console, Pultec pre-amp - at a bargain price.  the problem is that for $15 per month I get access to everything Steve Slate produces...and that's all of the EQs, preamps, compressors, gates, verbs, delays, virtual tape drivers, mastering tools and everything in between

• Like 1

I decided I was very much in need of a bass with a punchy early-80s-Japanese kind of sound, and hanging out on the Yamaha BB thread taught me that what I was wanting (in the absence of a 1983 Ibanez Blazer) was a BB424. And so this arrived this morning. As far as I can work out, the red silks and viscious texture indicate that the strings are Rotosound 66s, which is exactly what I intended to try on it.20210106_112529(0)-01.thumb.jpeg.7b6ff43e72cf2c3a8e579e88cef47c4e.jpeg

Also pictured is my Yamaha TRBX604FM. They're very different instruments! 

20210106_113153-01.jpeg

^^^^^^ are these Rotosound RS66s?

Edited by Ricky Rioli
  • Like 1

On 05/01/2021 at 21:39, ped said:

Shall I merge this with the abstinence thread and be done with it 😂

That is like mixing matter and anti-matter; no good will come of it.

Six days in and not bought anything yet, sorry people I will strive to do better.

Edited by ead
  • Like 1

There's a '78 Mustang just appeared at the Bass Gallery, so now I want that.

I've also been drooling over the new Barefaced One10T, with black cloth grill, plus replacement grill for my old one.

Also planning a Pedaltrain jnr size board.

Will also need bigger flat to accommodate aforementioned acquisitions.

• Haha 1

I have been gassing for a Dingwall since early April but the sensible side of my brain said "nope, no gigs, no income, no way"
Shortly after Christmas I decided that I don't need that sort of negativity in my life :)

The nice chaps at Bass Direct sent me a lovely Amethyst burst Combustion 5.

I haven't played one before and its the first 5 that I have owned but I figure that I have plenty of time to learn it.
Lefty, They are indeed made in China but they then go back to Canada where they are taken apart, checked, set up and shipped out. Up to this point the best bass I owned was a MIJ Geddy Lee Jazz, I would say the build quality of this Dingwall is quite a bit higher. 

And as for the sound.... stick it in Serial mode and roll the treble down a tiny bit, small boost to bass and mids and try to stop smiling.

my Dingwall.jpg

• Like 4

2 hours ago, cthorpey said:

And as for the sound.... stick it in Serial mode and roll the treble down a tiny bit, small boost to bass and mids and try to stop smiling.

Exactly the tone settings that had me grinning most when I first tried one of these!

I've posted this in a few threads already but since it was the inspiration for getting this thread started I figured it would be wrong not to add it here.

My first fretless bass, and like my very first fretted bass it's an Ibanez - full circle.

srf700.png.ead7cd18b9e78cff439dc7c260e0db97.png

• Like 1