Why become a member? ×

2021 Gear Abstinence thread ....

bassfan

8 hours ago, Paul S said:

Just to clarify, pickups and bridges count or don't count?

I’m just making this rule up but I think the only things allowed are consumables like leads and strings . If you don’t “need” a new pickup or bridge you should try and do without 😭😆

I thought I’d treat myself to a nice new strap with some birthday money I received late last year but this is a want not a need. That would have gonged me out so I didn’t subscribe to this. I’ve had a chat with myself and feel confident that I can go all year with no bass purchases (except some strings) so I’m going to declare my intentions now. Publicly stating this may mean I may be able to stick with it.

• Like 1

The 2020 rules were pretty clear. 

If its in the signal chain it counts: basses, amps, preamps, pedals, some PA gear I think. The exceptions were consumables (strings, cables, picks) and replacements for breakages.

Having said that, arguing about whether a particular purchase is in or out is half the fun 😉

• 2 weeks later...

I was one of the first to fail last year with a spontaneous purchase of a two grand Sandberg at the beginning of January. Since then I've only played it a handful of times and have ben trying to sell it fir some time now.

So far this year I don't think I've played a single note. 

11 minutes ago, FinnDave said:

I was one of the first to fail last year with a spontaneous purchase of a two grand Sandberg at the beginning of January. Since then I've only played it a handful of times and have ben trying to sell it fir some time now.

So far this year I don't think I've played a single note. 

Sorry to hear that Dave. It is bloomin' hard to keep motivated without gigs to focus on. I've found that trying to take on a couple of new  challenges - in my case learning EUB for use with my 50s/60s band and enrolling on one of Mark from Talking Bass's courses - has been a bit of a life saver. One of the plusses for me from last year was deciding to shed a bunch of gear I was hardly using (mostly pedals) - if they weren't going to get any attention from me during lockdown, they were realistically never going to get any attention from me! Doing that has really helped me to simplify my bass life a bit, which for me was a good thing.

• Like 1

I failed last year as I bought a Rick 4003s and an Eppy Vintage Pro in February. Not buying anything this year. I lost a Fender Precision though for 3 months. Found it tonight in my Rick case. This comment might have to be transferred to the You know when you are old thread.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Right one month and three days down and I've got no new gear (other than something I had for a morning before returning), sold a bass and a Smoothhound.  

So am I still out then ref? 

I’ve lost track with you. In, out, in , out ... there’s a song there somewhere.... so you didn’t buy the pedal?

Do you still accept challengers? I have no willpower, am new here, and need a support group.

My last gear purchase was in late December so I'm pretty well positioned to last longer this year. I want to allow myself to buy a backrest for my drum stool - is that allowed in this thread? My back hurts sometimes.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, auvke said:

Do you still accept challengers? I have no willpower, am new here, and need a support group.

My last gear purchase was in late December so I'm pretty well positioned to last longer this year. I want to allow myself to buy a backrest for my drum stool - is that allowed in this thread? My back hurts sometimes.

You're in! Too late to back out now 😄
A backrest has got to be allowed.  A comfort strap would be, and avoiding injury is absolutely more important than staying in a forum competition.

Welcome to the forums by the way  :crigon_04:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, auvke said:

Welcome and yes, you are accepted. Back rest for a drum stool, it’s not bass related and health and safety. It’s allowed. 👍🏻

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Right one month and three days down and I've got no new gear (other than something I had for a morning before returning), sold a bass and a Smoothhound.  

So am I still out then ref? 

Sounds like you are odds on for a personal best...

Well nothing happening for me until the house is sold, and I see where I am after the divorce fallout.

Count me in for 2021 - I've no interest or intention of buying anything apart from maybe a set of strings if I can find another band when we are eventually allowed to mingle.

I haven't even picked up a bass (or g***ar) since our band folded late last year because of a shite drummer and we couldn't find a replacement good enough for the originals band it was.  I just feel disillusioned and fed up with it all after 40+ years.  Sooooo, 100% no chance of buying anything.