Why become a member? ×

2021 Gear Abstinence thread ....

bassfan

Just wondering if I get a couple of pedals as Christmas and milestone prezzies to myself now, with an ulterior motive of having a clear run at bassfan's gear abstinence next year, whether that will actually mean I am already out before I am even in? 😄 

52 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Just wondering if I get a couple of pedals as Christmas and milestone prezzies to myself now, with an ulterior motive of having a clear run at bassfan's gear abstinence next year, whether that will actually mean I am already out before I am even in? 😄 

Buy now… you’re in next year. Proof of purchase required. 😂

• Like 1

I don't know where to start. It's been quite a year for purchases....the only consolation is what I've bought has been considerably less in terms of value than what I've sold and on the whole I'm actually down 5 instruments than when we started the year. 

That makes me a good boy, right?

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, bass_dinger said:

Indeed - literally, in receipt of a gift.

Of course, I could not have done this gear abstinence without my family, my car, the rising cost of petrol, and of course my mortgage.  All were there for me, every time I considered some new gear.  

An Oscar-worthy acceptance speech. However the competition isn't over yet- we may find someone who only bought a set of new strings despite marrying an heiress and winning the lottery.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/12/2021 at 18:49, Quilly said:

I failed utterly miserably, I even bought guitar gear 🙈

13 hours ago, Quilly said:

Right! 2022, I’m not going to commit to no purchases but I really need to exercise the one-in, one-out rule. I hate having good gear not being used 🤔

Speaking of both guitar gear and good gear not being used, I was rummaging in an old storage cupboard today and was very pleasant surprised to find an old Zoom guitar multifx (their "2020" model) and wah pedal, which must have been in storage for a quarter of a century, when "life" got in the way of my making music and subsequently during my bass playing years. 

I found a 1994 review of the model online and it seems it was the Helix Stomp of its day. So I guess my current fad with Zoom B1-4s shouldn't come as any particular shock - clearly Zoom multis have been in my blood for longer than I realised! I'm generally with you in not holding onto gear that's not likely to be getting any use. But as this is the second oldest piece of kit I've got in terms of length of ownership, I think I'll be holding on to it for a while longer as a momento of music made in times' past. 

DSC_1921.thumb.JPG.5cd3b8bc3e27035ae43697a29563fd3d.JPG

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...