Why become a member? ×

2021 Gear Abstinence thread ....

bassfan

1 minute ago, Bassman Sam said:

Brilliant. I wish I could find my old "75 P bass but I doubt if I could lift it up these days. Sounded wonderful but at 11 pounds, it would break my back now.

I hear that, this one was a killer too in the weight dept. Since around 2 years after i bought it I’ve had permanent damage, and whilst not directly caused my the bass, my stubborn devotion to it added to the issues. Happy to sit with it though 😍😂

Hope you find yours 👍 I was emailing the guy I sold it to annually until 2016, since then been hoping to see it every time I’m on BC or eBay - was literally like a 4 year old a Xmas when I saw the listing on Thursday!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chiliwailer said:

I’m out 😋

After many years fantasising about getting back my old StingRay, I saw it on eBay and just won it back. 

Huge sentimental value, bought as an 18 year old and was my first proper bass, used for 12 years with loads of good memories. Sadly sold in 2009 when I was having a hard time and made one or two bad decisions.

I hoped to last the year in abstinence, but couldn’t be happier now 😁😁😁

This just put a big smile on my face. Love hearing stories like this. 

Glad you have a treasured instrument back! 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

So how are folk getting on - any crumbling of will power with gigs starting to happen again?

Question: would trading a Helix Stomp for a Helix HX Effects (if they were for the same price) count as a "like for like" trade? Just askin' for a mate...

No really, I am just asking for a mate.

😂

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, bassfan said:

I’m officially out. Despite my like for like trade last month I’m out after 180 days without buying a thing. A lovely Shure Glxd wireless kit is on its way 😃

You were out 2 months ago, when you upgraded your HX Effects for a HX Stomp...😂

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, bassfan said:

It was a cash free exchange. 😜

Haha, good try...

What’s a fail? Any purchase or trade of new or used bass gear. 'Bass gear' = anything in your signal chain that you use to make or augment your bass sound /tone.

• basses, amps, cabs, pedals, PA gear (if your bass is DI’d into this)

What’s ok? Anything to look after or organise your existing gear or wear & tear related. Any non-bass gear. 

• strings, gig bags, leads, pedal boards, PSUs for pedal boards, repairs or identical replacement of existing kit, lessons, software related to existing kit
  • non-bass musical gear (this came under a stricter Tier 2 for the completely hair shirted last year) e.g. music software not related to existing kit, keyboards, guitars, drum machines etc.

By concession: unsolicited gifts of gear where you had no say in the matter!

41 minutes ago, bassfan said:

Where did that rule come from? 🤷🏻‍♂️😂

From the start of your GAC 2020 thread, which was taken from @Sibob's original GAC 2019 thread.

Now, no more Matt Hancock type behaviour please, of one rule for those in charge and another for the plebs 😁

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Al Krow said:

From the start of your GAC 2020 thread, which was taken from @Sibob's original GAC 2019 thread.

Now, no more Matt Hancock type behaviour please, of one rule for those in charge and another for the plebs 😁

In that case I was out June 4th. 😂 

8 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Haha, good try...

What’s a fail? Any purchase or trade of new or used bass gear. 'Bass gear' = anything in your signal chain that you use to make or augment your bass sound /tone.

• basses, amps, cabs, pedals, PA gear (if your bass is DI’d into this)

What’s ok? Anything to look after or organise your existing gear or wear & tear related. Any non-bass gear. 

• strings, gig bags, leads, pedal boards, PSUs for pedal boards, repairs or identical replacement of existing kit, lessons, software related to existing kit
  • non-bass musical gear (this came under a stricter Tier 2 for the completely hair shirted last year) e.g. music software not related to existing kit, keyboards, guitars, drum machines etc.

By concession: unsolicited gifts of gear where you had no say in the matter!

Clip tuner, strings, psu, non-bass mic... I'm still OK!

• Haha 1

• 2 months later...

Right, having been solidly 'out' of this thing that I started a while ago.....once I've sold my Lakland 55-02, and purchased a 55-01.......I'm done and will be starting another of my self-imposed '6 months or longer' abstinence stretches.

Wish me luck haha.

Si

Edited by Sibob
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Sibob said:

Right, having been solidly 'out' of this thing that I started a while ago.....once I've sold my Lakland 55-02, and purchased a 55-01.......I'm done and will be starting another of my self-imposed '6 months or longer' abstinence stretches.

Wish me luck haha.

Si

Well it's been two whole days (plus 1 hour and 30 mins) since a new piece of gear turned up at Krow dungeons. I'm already waaaaaaay ahead of you, buddy! 😂

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The idea of 2022's gear abstinence is kind of having the opposite effect on my end of 2021 GAS!

Somewhere in the back of my mind is a ticking clock (less than 8 weeks now) to get all of next year's worth of buying done so I can then tell myself I'm disciplined and bought nothing in 2022.

• 1 month later...

Home straight . . .. 21 days to go!  

A set of new strings.  Six 9 volt batteries.  And I was gifted two Beringer pedals and a wee 4 channel mixer from the same stable.  Am I still in? 

I must say, the challenge really made me think about what I needed to improve my playing - and it was not "more gear".  Oddly, it was more ability to count, and subdivide bars.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, bass_dinger said:

Home straight . . .. 21 days to go!  

A set of new strings.  Six 9 volt batteries.  And I was gifted two Beringer pedals and a wee 4 channel mixer from the same stable.  Am I still in? 

I must say, the challenge really made me think about what I needed to improve my playing - and it was not "more gear".  Oddly, it was more ability to count, and subdivide bars.

Gifted. Yes you are 👍🏻

8 minutes ago, bassfan said:

Gifted. Yes you are 👍🏻

Indeed - literally, in receipt of a gift.

Of course, I could not have done this gear abstinence without my family, my car, the rising cost of petrol, and of course my mortgage.  All were there for me, every time I considered some new gear.