Why become a member? ×

2021 Gear Abstinence thread ....

bassfan

On 08/01/2021 at 13:10, MoJo said:

I'm out already :(

So what was the cause of the mighty MoJo to fall then?!

Anything that is Yamaha BB related should be exempt anyway, because that is just a common sense, life enhancing purchase.

I've also fortunately got a couple of wise old birds (with the emphasis on "old" as they would probably resent being called "birds" at least in public) on my shoulder telling me that "I'm just bored" and "that looks like expensive trash" each time I spot something shiny and new! Very effective. I could make them available to the Forum for a small fee...

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Anything that is Yamaha BB related should be exempt anyway, because that is just a common sense, life enhancing purchase.

I've also fortunately got a couple of wise old birds (with the emphasis on "old" as they would probably resent being called "birds" at least in public) on my shoulder telling me that "I'm just bored" and "that looks like expensive trash" each time I spot something shiny and new! Very effective. I could make them available to the Forum for a small fee...

4AF9C52A-7D3C-412B-B7D9-AF7746A0BB75.jpeg

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Yamaha BB415 & BB425X. Two failures and we’re not even two weeks in

On 10/01/2021 at 17:55, Al Krow said:

Well I'm now a bass down and nothing bought so far, so does that mean I'm currently in the lead?

Bit like West Ham being second in the league for 10 mins last season, I suspect 😁

IRRRROOONNNNSSSS (sorry)

PS does getting delivery of something I paid for in 2020 count...?

I'm definitely in this year. Last year I bought a Little Bastard and an Acoustic Aria Fretless. 

I honestly have all he gear I could possibly need and then some. 

Over the lockdown I've take up vinyl so that's a good outlet for my GAS.   

15 Jan 12.30pm aaaaand I'm out again! This time my doing, and no going back.

I wasn't looking for this and didn't know I even needed it till this morning (trouble with BC'ers who put stuff under your nose eh?). And when it also happened to be on in a Jan sale, I crumbled.

Right back over to @PatrickJ's thread then.

It was a good fortnight while it lasted, but perhaps touch and go.

Just 50 weeks remaining for the rest of you to get through. Bon chance and bon voyage 😁

• Haha 1

What have you bought? 

24 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

15 Jan 12.30pm aaaaand I'm out again! This time my doing, and no going back.

I wasn't looking for this and didn't know I even needed it till this morning (trouble with BC'ers who put stuff under your nose eh?). And when it also happened to be on in a Jan sale, I crumbled.

Right back over to @PatrickJ's thread then.

It was a good fortnight while it lasted, but perhaps touch and go.

Just 50 weeks remaining for the rest of you to get through. Bon chance and bon voyage 😁

Last year was easy, all I bought or needed was strings and a pedal tuner. The tuner sits in the signal line so I went out on that. This year I actually want to fail more impressively, somewhere around the £700 nice bass mark would be good.

But alas I have the same wise old birds as @Al Krow, telling me that I've already got a bass way better than I am, a new one (even a nice 5-er) won't make me play better, and I just practice properly. Having no shops open doesn't help.

I'm in, but I don't want to be!

Edited by Richard R
Spotted a typo.

23 minutes ago, Richard R said:

Last year was easy, all I bought or needed was strings and a pedal tuner. The tuner sits in the signal line so I went out on that. This year I actually want to fail more impressively, somewhere around the £700 nice bass mark would be good.

But alas I have the same wise old birds as @Al Krow, telling me that I've already got a bass way better than I am, a new one (even a nice 5-er) won't make me play better, and I just practice properly. Having no shops open doesn't help.

I'm in, but I don't want to be!

Oooh - if you're after a nice 5 string bass, I'm sure we will all chip in with great ideas to help you find a nice home for your £700! Particularly for a fellow West Midlander (well I was once). 

And don't believe the naysayers: of course a nice new bass is going to make you play better 😁

• Thanks 1

On 05/01/2021 at 17:23, bassfan said:

So, the gauntlet is now down again, can you survive 2021 without a purchase? 

Totally not - if 2021 brings some strange/unpleasant economic times that means that people have to sell gear in desperation.

2 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Would you be allowed to go into a store (in normal times!) and try something out, but not buy it? Or is that going against the spirit of gear abstinence?

That’s definitely allowed. It’s called a test of will power. 

40 minutes ago, bassfan said:

That’s definitely allowed. It’s called a test of will power. 

Now given we can't go into a store at the mo, the closest thing is trying on sale and return. So if you return the goods having tried it out (for a full refund, and don't keep it) I'm guessing that's OK too? 

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Now given we can't go into a store at the mo, the closest thing is trying on sale and return. So if you return the goods having tried it out (for a full refund, and don't keep it) I'm guessing that's OK too? 

Wait until the shop opens.... you don’t need whatever it is you think you need.... these aren’t the droids you are looking for.... 😂

Anyway, you are already out ! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Edited by bassfan

50 minutes ago, bassfan said:

Wait until the shop opens.... you don’t need whatever it is you think you need.... these aren’t the droids you are looking for.... 😂

Anyway, you are already out ! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Well if I can squeeze into this loophole then I am back in again 😂