Why become a member? ×

2021 Gear Abstinence thread ....

bassfan

Ok... so I failed miserably last year... I bought an amp (gigged it once) I bought several basses and sold some.. I came to realise I have no will power.... however, there are a couple of people on here that made it all the way through 2020 without any lockdown GAS and subsequent purchases @dave moffat I salute you! 🎉

I’m 100% GAS and purchase free as of 17:32 5th January 😂

So, the gauntlet is now down again, can you survive 2021 without a purchase? 

here’s a link to last years thread and the rules.

1. bassfan. OUT. 29/06. Shure Wireless bass kit 
  2. Al Krow. OUT 06/01 .. back in 06/01 OUT again! 15/01 with another filter pedal. Back in as pedal not bought 😂 OUT Again 11/03 Carvin bass. 
  3. Walshy. OUT 01/01 (that’s a guess on the date but I bet I’m not far off)  😂
  4. Andy Travis Definitely out multiple basses 😂
  5. chiliwaiker
  6. Hiram.k.Hackenbacker OUT. 
  7. PatrickJ. OUT 03/01
  8. Roger2611
  9. Lozz196
  10. Torturedsaints
  11. Jimmyb625
  12. bass_dinger
  13. skybone
  14. joeystrange
  15. si600
  16. adamg67 OUT 09/03. Sandberg 48
  17. TbirdnTalman
  18. tauzero
  19. Quilly
  20. Richard R OUT 24/02 bucket list Bawley bass. 
  21. auvke
  22. inthedoghouse

Edited by bassfan
  • Like 3

Just setting us all up to fail once more...eh Paul?

Well I've already outlasted @PatrickJ already, so I'm feeling up for this 

Fingers crossed that there are no decent 2021 multi-fx launches this year, otherwise I'm pleading the 5th.

😁

Edited by Al Krow

5 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Just setting us all up to fail once more...eh Paul?

Well I've already outlasted @PatrickJ already, so I'm feeling up for this 

Fingers crossed that there are no decent 2021 multi-fx launches this year. I've there are I'm pleading the 5th.

😁

Last year I did really well.  Apart from a SansAmp DI for recording and a Peterson Clip-On Tuner for tuning I didn't buy anything else bass related.  I even sold a bunch of guitars and pedals and other stuff I wasn't using.

It was a most unsatisfying year!

Jan 5 4pm, I'm +1 bass, and happy.

Edited by PatrickJ
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, bassfan said:

Shall I just mark you as “out” now?? 😂 and while I’m doing that I’ll do the same for @AndyTravis & @walshy... no hope.

Unless I win the lottery and get a Ken Smith and a Sadowsky PJ then I have no need for anything and have every confidence I’ll make it through 😂 honest! 😂

Woooahhhh! Who says I’ll fail like? To be honest I’ve already traded a Bass, sold a bass and bought an amp this year 😂 I was probably out not long after midnight 😂

Edited by walshy
  • Haha 3

33 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

I don't think I have a snowball's chance in hell of getting through 2021 without an errant purchase or three, but I will try 😎.

But how are you going to decide which to sell first? 😳

@hiram.k.hackenbacker I believe you could buy 3, but I bet you can’t sell 3 in order to stick to your rule 😊

Edited by Chiliwailer
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, bassfan said:

Shall I just mark you as “out” now?? 😂 and while I’m doing that I’ll do the same for @AndyTravis & @walshy... no hope.

Unless I win the lottery and get a Ken Smith and a Sadowsky PJ then I have no need for anything and have every confidence I’ll make it through 😂 honest! 😂

I’m still in. The Tune TXJ-4 was a December 2020 purchase, but will arrive in 2021.

I’m actually really needing to get the garage conversion back on track so will be too skint.

Edited by AndyTravis

1 hour ago, Chiliwailer said:

But how are you going to decide which to sell first? 😳

@hiram.k.hackenbacker I believe you could buy 3, but I bet you can’t sell 3 in order to stick to your rule 😊

In fairness, I didn’t buy the Smith (which I really wanted) and resisted buying your Bravewood, so the method is working for me at the moment.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, AndyTravis said:

I’m still in. The Tune TXJ-4 was a December 2020 purchase, but will arrive in 2021.

I’m actually really needing to get the garage conversion back on track so will be too skint.

Anyone in on a sweepstake as to which week Andy will pickup a new bass?

Edited by PatrickJ
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

32 minutes ago, PatrickJ said:

Anyone in on a sweepstake as to which week Andy will pickup a new bass?

Tough call. Depends on whether or not there’s something shiny coming up for sale. I’ll go for saturday 9th Jan. 😂😂😂

• Haha 2

Well I’ve 2 items on the way but in my defence I did purchase them in 2020. I’ll see how it goes, have bucketloads to sell and hopefully have established the right gear for my needs now so let’s see if I can at least last a while without buying.

1 hour ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

In fairness, I didn’t buy the Smith (which I really wanted) and resisted buying your Bravewood, so the method is working for me at the moment.

Bravewood eh? Now I’m scanning your collection for swaps... damn this thread, it’s like reverse psychology 🤔

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, TorturedSaints said:

I didn't buy anything in 2020.  However, I will be picking up a Double Bass (not purchased through BC) as soon as the lockdown rules are eased in Scotland.

If you arranged it last year then that is ok. You in? 

6 minutes ago, Chiliwailer said:

Bravewood eh? Now I’m scanning your collection for swaps... damn this thread, it’s like reverse psychology 🤔

Can you send the link to scan the collection please, is it like a virtual tour of a massive bass warehouse? 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bassfan said:

Can you send the link to scan the collection please, is it like a virtual tour of a massive bass warehouse? 

A fond memory of my floor covered in basses when we did some set up tinkering. Like a 12 year old with a Playboy, I didn’t know where to look first 😁

• Haha 2

No point in me playing - no chance of sticking to it.

I was doing alright till earlier today - impulse bought a Tongue drum which was advertised at £26 but climbed to £32 with VAT.

Bought a couple of extra sets of strings late last year which came with .130 low B which I'll need to replace with .115s at some point - I'll try to delay this but Newtone can do them for just over £7 - inevitable that I'll cave in.

Medals to anybody who is successful...