Why become a member? ×

Bands without any original members

Bilbo

I would check out 60s bands - I did sound engineering in the early 00's and it seemed to me that there were a lot of big name bands that were being toured with one guy who joined just after the lead guy had left and they'd their major hit(s).

I seem to remember there being about 5 versions of the Drifters all touring as well!    

11 minutes ago, Huge Hands said:

I seem to remember there being about 5 versions of the Drifters all touring as well!    

I think the majority of the Birmingham session scene have been involved with the Drifters in one way or the other. Although having said that, I think it all went stinky poo shaped. I think Prism (who had rights on the name in the UK) went under - but I know they stopped using the name for a while... maybe because a Phoenix company weren't allowed to use the name or something, maybe?

37 minutes ago, chris_b said:

Didn't they put on an evening with Elvis, in the West End, with no Elvis? I seem to remember they had a hologram instead.

They did, and then it did arena tours with his original live band playing along with Elvis ( on screen behind the band though).

12 hours ago, Leftfret said:

Michael Wedgwood - bass player #3 - who formed Curved Air #2 with Sonja Kristina - played on their dates in Japan last year. He lives in Denmark.

Oh good, I chatted with Sonja a few years back and she said Mike might be playing again.

How about Wishbone Ash?  I think Martin Turners Wishbone Ash has the only original remaining member. Guitarists Andy Powell and Ted Turner (no relation) joined later.

Edited by Moldsight
wrong name

I think Judas Priest technically fit too, the entire line up changed before the first album was released.

Although there was a brief hiatus, and it was essentially a different band that adopted the name (only one common member, who then left).

Edited by Marvin_

On 01/02/2021 at 10:31, SteveXFR said:

I saw Sham69 a few years ago and they didn't have a single original member. It was like watching a covers band. 

I believe there used to be Wurzels tribute band with more original Wurzels than the actual Wurzels. I don't know if it's true but I heard that the Wurzels bassist mimes while the actual bassist is back stage playing. The one on stage just has the right look. 

The Kast off Kinks are made up, almost entirely, of former members of the Kinks.

On ‎01‎/‎02‎/‎2021 at 10:31, SteveXFR said:

I believe there used to be Wurzels tribute band with more original Wurzels than the actual Wurzels.

The Wurzels definitely don't have any original members left. They started as Adge Cutlers backing band, and the longest serving current member, Tommy Banner, didn't join until about the 3rd album I think. Pete Budd is the only other member that was in an incarnation with Adge Cutler - think he joined in 1970 or thereabouts.

Also worth mentioning that they never had a "proper" bass player for years, with Gaffer Baylis playing mainly sousaphone. :)

On 01/02/2021 at 10:31, SteveXFR said:

I saw Sham69 a few years ago and they didn't have a single original member. It was like watching a covers band. 

That would be what is laughably known as the official Sham, I think at one point they had either an original drummer or second guitarist. The other proper version is Jimmy Pursey, Dave Parsons & Dave Tregunna from the original line up, with a new drummer. And very good they are, I’ve played with them a few times and they certainly know how to get the audience going.

36 minutes ago, lemonstar said:

Oasis!

Beatles rehashed.

back off everyone, put the pitchforks down - it's a joke - John, I'm only joking.

Anyone seen the film Yesterday? The bit where he does a search for Oasis upon realising there’s no trace of the Beatles and Oasis don’t turn up either really made me laugh. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

That would be what is laughably known as the official Sham, I think at one point they had either an original drummer or second guitarist. The other proper version is Jimmy Pursey, Dave Parsons & Dave Tregunna from the original line up, with a new drummer. And very good they are, I’ve played with them a few times and they certainly know how to get the audience going.

I did a gig a few years ago supporting Splodgenessabounds, which was basically Max Splodge and some hired hands, one of which was Dave Tregunna.  It was right at the rime that he was speaking to Jimmy Pursey about reforming the band, after spending the previous however many years telling the "new lot" that he wasn't interested in playing with them.  I won't repeat his actual comments, lets just say they weren't complimentary

Really good guy to have a pint and a natter with

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Monkey Steve said:

I did a gig a few years ago supporting Splodgenessabounds, which was basically Max Splodge and some hired hands, one of which was Dave Tregunna.  It was right at the rime that he was speaking to Jimmy Pursey about reforming the band, after spending the previous however many years telling the "new lot" that he wasn't interested in playing with them.  I won't repeat his actual comments, lets just say they weren't complimentary

Really good guy to have a pint and a natter with

The bloke running the fake Sham 69 (Tim Vee) seems like a real twunt. I respect that you don't share the details of a private conversation, otherwise I'd love to hear those comments!

On 01/02/2021 at 13:12, Moldsight said:

How about Wishbone Ash?  I think Martin Turners Wishbone Ash has the only original remaining member. Guitarists Andy Powell and Ted Turner (no relation) joined later.

Martin Turner formed Wishbone Ash. Powell and Ted Turner were in the original lineup with Steve Upton. 

Famously Blackfoot, who were reformed by original member Ricky Medlocke, but he has the role of producer rather than musician.

There are some bands where an evolving lineup doesn't seem to do any harm and even contributes to keeping their creative output fresh (Fairport, Hawkwind, the Animals), others where certain lineups are particularly significant (e.g. Deep Purple)

44 minutes ago, Nail Soup said:

The bloke running the fake Sham 69 (Tim Vee) seems like a real twunt. I respect that you don't share the details of a private conversation, otherwise I'd love to hear those comments!

had the misfortune to see him twice as Sham's frontman, first time at Concrete Jungle festival, we were expecting Pursey, Parsons was on guitar, thought that the guy walking around in a Millwall shirt was a roadie, most buggered off after a few songs.

Second time, I gave him a couple of songs then went next door to see a Fleetwood Mac tribute, one of the few that stayed said he spent the whole gig baiting the security guys

1 hour ago, Nail Soup said:

When we played with them he spent most of the time saying some very un complimentary things about Jimmy Pursey. The bizarre thing is that that’s literally how he introduced himself to us. The venue was only tiny so it was difficult to get an idea if they were any good or not, but in their favour they did play my fave Sham song, No Entry.

Strictly off-topic, but Dutch proto-prog band Ekseption at one point (maybe two points - the debate about that is unfinished) in time had no original members.

In '76 some studio guys and some guys who'd been in the band for short periods, made a terrible, terrible album under the Ekseption name.
Some say one founding member was in the studio; others say he wasn't.
The record company kept totally silent about who was actually playing, essentially trying to sell a non-Ekseption album to Ekseption fans.

In 2003, keyboard player Rick van der Linden was the band's leader and the only one who had been in Ekseption before, and he wasn't an original member.
Though: it should be mentioned he had been responsible for their previous successes (mainly poprock reworkings of classical themes, with jazz impros  -  though half their output was of a different character).

Edited by BassTractor
  • Haha 1

On 01/02/2021 at 14:09, Marvin_ said:

I think Judas Priest technically fit too, the entire line up changed before the first album was released.

Although there was a brief hiatus, and it was essentially a different band that adopted the name (only one common member, who then left).

Yep, Al Atkins was the only original member, Ian Hill and KK downing joined and then the band collapsed soon after, they resurrected the band with Atkins Briefly but he soon left, and Rob Halford  came in and then  Glenn tipton. Thats the classic lineup

On 02/02/2021 at 17:51, skb558 said:

Martin Turner formed Wishbone Ash. Powell and Ted Turner were in the original lineup with Steve Upton. 

I thought Martins brother was the original guitarist, he's name eludes me. They advertised for a guitarist in melody maker and couldn't choose between Ted and Andy so both joined. That is the story as far as I am aware. But please correct if i am way off the mark.