Why become a member? ×

Bands without any original members

Bilbo

18 minutes ago, itsmedunc said:

The Members played North Bar in Blackburn quite a few years ago. I know the promoter who was the owner at the time. Absolutely nobody turned up. That's very unusual for a band from that era playing here. He nearly didn't let them all in and he said "They were a bunch of old blokes in cardigans" 😂

I suppose I don't much of problem with bands with no original members as long as I know they've got no original members and they sound ok, The Members don't and neither did Dr Feelgood when I saw them, they're taking money under false pretences. They're basically a very poor tribute band

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Dom in Dorset said:

Fairport Convention, numerous line up changes over the years resulting in several periods with no original members.

But at the moment, Simon Nichol is in the band, so they do have an original member. Likewise Steeleye Span, Maddy Prior has been in and out but is currently in.

I am doing another book and needed to find examples of bands who continue to perform under a name even though they have no original members. One is too many, it has to be none

The intended outcome has been achieved so thank you to everyone. 

• Like 1

On 05/01/2021 at 11:43, Bilbo said:

I am writing a piece on this issue and need a few examples of bands that still perform but who no longer have any of their original members left in the line-up. Soft Machine and Yes come to mind but I need a few more. Can I draw upon the Basschat hive mind? 

Muchos gracias. 

Yes, I’m pretty sure they have toured with no original members. 

On 05/01/2021 at 11:43, Bilbo said:

Soft Machine and Yes come to mind but I need a few more.

Slightly off topic.............when Robert Wyatt left Soft Machine he formed a new band, Matching Mole..... which was a sneaky way of kind-of-keeping the Soft Machine name.

"Soft Machine" in French is Machine Molle  and it sounds like Matching Mole in English.

4 minutes ago, Nail Soup said:

.......when Robert Wyatt left Soft Machine he formed a new band, Matching Mole...

I saw them at some strange 'underground' club/festival. Enjoyed it, but understood little of what was going on. Fine times. B|

• Like 1

On 08/01/2021 at 11:51, PaulWarning said:

I suppose I don't much of problem with bands with no original members as long as I know they've got no original members and they sound ok, The Members don't and neither did Dr Feelgood when I saw them, they're taking money under false pretences. They're basically a very poor tribute band

Yeah, The Members weren’t up to much when I saw them.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 05/01/2021 at 12:35, Mickeyboro said:

Hi Mike!

Think they were called Sisyphus before she joined. They are very much a going concern, have been for several post-hiatus years, and I believe their bass player may be resident here?

Michael Wedgwood - bass player #3 - who formed Curved Air #2 with Sonja Kristina - played on their dates in Japan last year. He lives in Denmark.

8 hours ago, Geek99 said:

Aren’t the Wilson sisters something of a constant presence ?

Pretty much.... but I'm pretty certain they weren't there from the very beginning, they joined and then the founder members left. Obviously it could be argued that Heart, as it's known, is the Wilson sisters.

• Like 1

I saw Sham69 a few years ago and they didn't have a single original member. It was like watching a covers band. 

I believe there used to be Wurzels tribute band with more original Wurzels than the actual Wurzels. I don't know if it's true but I heard that the Wurzels bassist mimes while the actual bassist is back stage playing. The one on stage just has the right look. 

On 05/01/2021 at 20:55, StickyDBRmf said:

Gong! Although the new line-up is approoved by all PHP's...

Yeah, Gong would be a good example. Though the guys who form the current incarnation did make Daevid Allen's final Gong album with him, and had his blessing to continue as Gong so there's some sense of continuity there.