Why become a member? ×

Bands without any original members

Bilbo

18 minutes ago, chris_b said:

The Royal Philharmonic. Those bastards have been trading on the name for 100 years!!

True - and same situation for most orchestras, brass bands, choirs etc.

@Bilbo will your piece/analysis include a comparison of how in pop/rock original members is 'a thing', but not in other musical forms?

(might be interesting to see the final piece)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Kevsy71 said:

The Members have no original Members...

hmmm...

This is an interesting point - JC Carroll is still with the band, and played on everything they've released, but technically wasn't their first guitarist, and Chris Payne can make a very similar argument as their bass player. 

Are we counting this from the first day that everybody sat down together and said "let's form a band" or from the point where the band first came to prominence, or first released a recording?

9 minutes ago, Monkey Steve said:

Are we counting this from the first day that everybody sat down together and said "let's form a band" or from the point where the band first came to prominence, or first released a recording?

I think we've had this discussion before on a similar thread, as far as I'm concerned it's from when the band achieved some sort of commercial success

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Nail Soup said:

Don't get me started on the "sham" Sham 69 :angry2:!!

Ah yes, the “Official” Sham. I think they’ve one former member, as Pursey/Parsons/Tregunna are in the real Sham - who incidentally are still a darn good band.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, StickyDBRmf said:

Gong! Although the new line-up is approoved by all PHP's...

Ooooh, good call. I’ve seen them about a dozen times over the last thirty years and i don’t think I’ve seen the same line-up twice. The current bass player, Dave Sturt, is a member on here but I’ve not seen a post from him for a while.

8 minutes ago, Len_derby said:

Ooooh, good call. I’ve seen them about a dozen times over the last thirty years and i don’t think I’ve seen the same line-up twice. The current bass player, Dave Sturt, is a member on here but I’ve not seen a post from him for a while.

Here I go, maybe my favouritist band EVER! Such whimsy and psychedelia wrapped into a jam sandwich. And I finally found a slide that works on the Stick...a Strat whammy bar. Glissandozzzzz

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I joined Love Affair in the mid 70's. Great guys, and we had a lot of laughs, but the band had already had about 30 different members in it - I think I was actually their 10th bass player, replacing a guy called Billy Ball.

Mo Bacon, the original drummer, was the band's manager, and the original singer, Steve Ellis, was doing time at Her Majestys request for GBH at the time. Nice !  :i-m_so_happy:

On 05/01/2021 at 12:43, Bilbo said:

Soft Machine and Yes come to mind but I need a few more

As to Soft Machine, there was also the nice little detail of a post Soft Machine band in one generation consisting of all the members of a previous Soft Machine generation.
I think it was Nucleus - not sure. 

This tidbit at the time seemed unsupported by Wikipedia, but the guy who wrote about it seemed to know exactly what he was talking about.
Not important, but I liked the thought.

Edited by BassTractor

On 05/01/2021 at 16:34, Lozz196 said:

There’s a certain sense of irony there 🤣

The Members played North Bar in Blackburn quite a few years ago. I know the promoter who was the owner at the time. Absolutely nobody turned up. That's very unusual for a band from that era playing here. He nearly didn't let them all in and he said "They were a bunch of old blokes in cardigans" 😂