Why become a member? ×

Bands without any original members

Bilbo

I am writing a piece on this issue and need a few examples of bands that still perform but who no longer have any of their original members left in the line-up. Soft Machine and Yes come to mind but I need a few more. Can I draw upon the Basschat hive mind? 

Muchos gracias. 

3 minutes ago, Mykesbass said:

Strictly speaking, I think Curved Air fit this category. I believe that Sonja Kristina was not in the very first line up, but now sometimes goes out under the band name.

Hi Mike!

Think they were called Sisyphus before she joined. They are very much a going concern, have been for several post-hiatus years, and I believe their bass player may be resident here?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Doctor J said:

Napalm Death

I think Napalm Death have turned over twice.

None of the current band have been in the band at the same time as any of the original line up.

Basically new drummer joined, and by side two of the debut album (!) all the original members had left. and he started a new line up for second half of debut album. Then then the new members left after a couple of albums. Another line up. Drummers leaves.

All current members have been there since late 80's though!

• Like 1

Tank

Although, it's complicated...They had no original members left (and none from their first two albums, easily their best) when Algy Ward left, but he then formed a new band, also called Tank, of which he is the sole member.  They seem to get along without the need for any lawsuits, I suspect because there's no enough money to be worth suing each other for

• Like 1

I seem to remember that Dusty Hill of ZZ Top played with a non-original version of the Zombies, but as I recall that was some fake band put together by an american promoter, something like they had a tour booked and split up, so the promoter formed a band and called them the Zombies to fulfil the bookings

53 minutes ago, Mickeyboro said:

Hi Mike!

Think they were called Sisyphus before she joined. They are very much a going concern, have been for several post-hiatus years, and I believe their bass player may be resident here?

Looks like Francis Monkman had got his facts wrong when I was chatting with him - now fancy that B|

9 minutes ago, Mykesbass said:

Looks like Francis Monkman had got his facts wrong when I was chatting with him - now fancy that B|

I wouldn’t argue with the sainted Francis... a musical God!

Werent you involved in Sonja’s memoirs?

Edited by Mickeyboro

3 minutes ago, Mickeyboro said:

I wouldn’t argue with the sainted Francis... a musical God!

Werent you involved in Sonja’s memoirs?

No, tried to help her with a side project, then Curved Air decided to get back together, did Isle of Wight, but someone had a big issue with Sonja having someone working for her. So petty I quietly backed out.

You are right about Francis though, shame he didn't want to be involved, but that was for the same reasons/person as me!

Edited by Mykesbass
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, PaulWarning said:

surprised to see the Hollies in there, I thought Tony Hicks and Bobby Elliot were constant members

Looks like Allan Clarke and Graham Nash called themselves The Hollies for a couple of gigs prior to getting signed which is when Tony Hicks and Bobby Elliot joined. So yes, technically, there are no originals, but a bit tenuous if you ask me.