Why become a member? ×

Cleaning Panga Panga fingerboards

lownote

About to clean and restring my Ibanez Portamento 5 for the first time.  The panga panga fingerboard's got nice light grain and I'm worried Lemon Oil will darken it down too much. Never had a bass (other than those with maple boards) that hasn't been oiled so not sure of the way forward.   Any first hand experience?

•  

Can’t find anything definitive. So I’m just going to go with a cautious dry wire wool to get the worst crud off. If that doesn’t look right I’ll simply go for a little lemon oil. Life’s too short to faff. 

Edited by lownote12

2 hours ago, lownote12 said:

So I’m just going to go with a cautious dry wire wool to get the worst crud off

If you’re going to use wire wool Don’t forget to mask your pickups up well, the fibres will stick to your magnets , and everything else 🙂

Edited by Reggaebass

I use Briwax on my Thumb bass. It was recommended by a well known luthier when bass was in for some work.

He said beeswax leaves a sticky feel to the wood whereas Briwax doesn't.

Briwax International Inc - Furniture Wax, Polish, & Restoration Products

I also have the Dunlop cleaner but i prefer the briwax on unfinished wood.

Dave

• Like 1

Well FWIW, not much change already. Gently rubbed down the fb after protecting the pups from wirewool dust.  Looked slightly cleaner against the light - as in probably not hugely dirty to start with.  I then cautiously tried a little lemon oil. Just sort of sat there rather than soaking in and rubbed off OK. Only slight darkening of the board wood, if any. It might have been oiled before of course, which would explain that.  So nothing to worry about I suggest, although not sure I gained anything with the exercise either.  In case that's useful to anyone. 

Edited by lownote12
  • Like 1