Jump to content
binky_bass

Yeah, but how SMALL is yours?

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Bilbo said:

 It is rammed 1000 + cds,

Bilbo... got a pic ? esp a pic of the cds ? i think i might not be able to top trump you on the cds, but dam close 🙂

if i may proffer another to your collection.......

its amazing everyone is getting rid of cd's like the plague, yet im still collecting them, which for me is GREAT cus some are so cheap, I think to musicians they are more like reference material, abit like  parts of a song, you just cant get rid of one or rest don't make sense, i have about 800/900 funk and related cds, i need every one 🙂 and yet funny enough one or two of my faves are not funk, for eg, my fave for years sunday morning music is Pierre Michelot, Around about a bass.

.i think you might like that check it out, loads of top notch arrangements, another to add to your collection 🙂 haha

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pierre-Michelot-Round-About-Bass/dp/B00TIDN9R6/ref=tmm_msc_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=

Edited by funkgod

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Before they were all transferred onto my computer and put into storage my 2000+ CD collection occupied shelves that went from floor to ceiling both sides of the chimney breast in my living room filling approximately 6.7 square metres of wall space.

BTW I have asked the fellow band-members of my 80s synth band if they have any photos of our cellar rehearsal space and recording studio, which I will post if I get them.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 04/01/2021 at 17:32, binky_bass said:

20210104_131009.thumb.jpg.7ba98ee1dab8e3e0147ffda74fc9d11c.jpg

Having that many acoustics is weird man!

Sell them and buy basses!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One of the bands I was in recorded a demo in "Rob's Caravan of Doom", which was about 6' x 16', with the biggest bit housing the drumkit and the 'control room' at the other end. We squeezed two guitarists, a vocalist and me into tint space in the middle. Sometimes I used to retreat into the drummer's bit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Having that many acoustics is weird man!...

Not at all..! They're all tuned to resonate in sympathy, and gives a 'signature' sound to the mic'ed recordings (sadly missing from the DI sessions without a Room Mic...).:|

...

:lol: :P

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, funkgod said:

Pierre Michelot, Around about a bass.

.i think you might like that check it out, loads of top notch arrangements, another to add to your collection 🙂 haha

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pierre-Michelot-Round-About-Bass/dp/B00TIDN9R6/ref=tmm_msc_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=

 I have that Album, yes it is great.

Terrific playing all round, and like you say, top notch arrangements. Especially the harmonising on the Winds and Brass.

👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, lowdown said:

 I have that Album, yes it is great.

Terrific playing all round, and like you say, top notch arrangements. Especially the harmonising on the Winds and Brass.

👍

Ahhh i knew you would have it :-), it a very underlooked album, "beautiful" is a perfect descriptive word for it , what is great about it is.., although he did arranging for it, he did not impose himself anywhere he just let the arranging carry it and sat in it with just great complementary bass playing, now i have heard him play with Jacques Loussier on the Bach album and i cant listen to it, as good as it is its all just too 'Pianoy' and makes me feel miserable  for me "around about a bass" has far more scope and depth, i have not heard much of him playing with Miles yet, i will have to check some of that out, 

each to their own and all that.

 

@BigRedX 2000?? WAT....thats just piggery :-).... if only i had the space.

Edited by funkgod
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

Not at all..! They're all tuned to resonate in sympathy, and gives a 'signature' sound to the mic'ed recordings (sadly missing from the DI sessions without a Room Mic...).:|

...

:lol: :P

You mean... they are unlicensed drones!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, funkgod said:

@BigRedX 2000?? WAT....thats just piggery :-).... if only i had the space.

That's basically 30 years worth of buying CDs - it averages out at a bit over 1 a week, so not an unfeasible amount considering that many of them were second hand or discounted. They now occupy about 2TB space on a 4TB hard drive and fill a number of large boxes in the attic.

BTW none of the other band members appear to have photos of our old cellar recording/rehearsal space from the 80s which is a pity so you'll simply have to take my word for its minuscule size. I do recall that our tallest band member could only stand in a couple of places without having to stoop to avoid hitting his head on the ceiling!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/01/2021 at 21:34, funkgod said:

Ahhh i knew you would have it :-), it a very underlooked album, "beautiful" is a perfect descriptive word for it , what is great about it is.., although he did arranging for it, he did not impose himself anywhere he just let the arranging carry it and sat in it with just great complementary bass playing, now i have heard him play with Jacques Loussier on the Bach album and i cant listen to it, as good as it is its all just too 'Pianoy' and makes me feel miserable  for me "around about a bass" has far more scope and depth, i have not heard much of him playing with Miles yet, i will have to check some of that out, 

 

Hi mate,

I noticed you mentioned the Jazz meets Classical album of Jacques Loussier (Bach Album). 

This absolutely terrific Album from Vincent Mendoza might interest you - 'Epiphany'.

Top, top musicianship on it from all involved.

Vince is a terrific Composer and arranger with a brilliant body of work behind him. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Jacques Loussier on the Bach album 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...