Why become a member? ×

Yeah, but how SMALL is yours?

binky_bass

On 12/01/2021 at 08:48, Bilbo said:

It is rammed 1000 + cds,

Bilbo... i might not be able to top trump you on the cds, but dam close 🙂

if i may proffer another to your collection.......

its amazing everyone is getting rid of cd's like the plague, yet im still collecting them, which for me is GREAT cus some are so cheap, I think to musicians they are more like reference material, abit like  parts of a song, you just cant get rid of one or rest don't make sense, i have about 800/900 funk and related cds, i need every one 🙂 and yet funny enough one or two of my faves are not funk, for eg, my fave for years sunday morning music is Pierre Michelot, Around about a bass.

.i think you might like that check it out, loads of top notch arrangements, another to add to your collection 🙂 haha

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pierre-Michelot-Round-About-Bass/dp/B00TIDN9R6/ref=tmm_msc_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=

Edited by funkgod

Before they were all transferred onto my computer and put into storage my 2000+ CD collection occupied shelves that went from floor to ceiling both sides of the chimney breast in my living room filling approximately 6.7 square metres of wall space.

BTW I have asked the fellow band-members of my 80s synth band if they have any photos of our cellar rehearsal space and recording studio, which I will post if I get them.

• Like 1

One of the bands I was in recorded a demo in "Rob's Caravan of Doom", which was about 6' x 16', with the biggest bit housing the drumkit and the 'control room' at the other end. We squeezed two guitarists, a vocalist and me into tint space in the middle. Sometimes I used to retreat into the drummer's bit.

50 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Having that many acoustics is weird man!...

Not at all..! They're all tuned to resonate in sympathy, and gives a 'signature' sound to the mic'ed recordings (sadly missing from the DI sessions without a Room Mic...).:|

:lol: :P

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, funkgod said:

Pierre Michelot, Around about a bass.

.i think you might like that check it out, loads of top notch arrangements, another to add to your collection 🙂 haha

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pierre-Michelot-Round-About-Bass/dp/B00TIDN9R6/ref=tmm_msc_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=

I have that Album, yes it is great.

Terrific playing all round, and like you say, top notch arrangements. Especially the harmonising on the Winds and Brass.

👍

2 hours ago, lowdown said:

I have that Album, yes it is great.

Terrific playing all round, and like you say, top notch arrangements. Especially the harmonising on the Winds and Brass.

👍

Ahhh i knew you would have it :-), it a very underlooked album, "beautiful" is a perfect descriptive word for it , what is great about it is.., although he did arranging for it, he did not impose himself anywhere he just let the arranging carry it and sat in it with just great complementary bass playing, now i have heard him play with Jacques Loussier on the Bach album and i cant listen to it, as good as it is its all just too 'Pianoy' and makes me feel miserable  for me "around about a bass" has far more scope and depth, i have not heard much of him playing with Miles yet, i will have to check some of that out, 

each to their own and all that.

@BigRedX 2000?? WAT....thats just piggery :-).... if only i had the space.

Edited by funkgod
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, funkgod said:

@BigRedX 2000?? WAT....thats just piggery :-).... if only i had the space.

That's basically 30 years worth of buying CDs - it averages out at a bit over 1 a week, so not an unfeasible amount considering that many of them were second hand or discounted. They now occupy about 2TB space on a 4TB hard drive and fill a number of large boxes in the attic.

BTW none of the other band members appear to have photos of our old cellar recording/rehearsal space from the 80s which is a pity so you'll simply have to take my word for its minuscule size. I do recall that our tallest band member could only stand in a couple of places without having to stoop to avoid hitting his head on the ceiling!

On 12/01/2021 at 21:34, funkgod said:

Ahhh i knew you would have it :-), it a very underlooked album, "beautiful" is a perfect descriptive word for it , what is great about it is.., although he did arranging for it, he did not impose himself anywhere he just let the arranging carry it and sat in it with just great complementary bass playing, now i have heard him play with Jacques Loussier on the Bach album and i cant listen to it, as good as it is its all just too 'Pianoy' and makes me feel miserable  for me "around about a bass" has far more scope and depth, i have not heard much of him playing with Miles yet, i will have to check some of that out, 

Hi mate,

I noticed you mentioned the Jazz meets Classical album of Jacques Loussier (Bach Album). 

This absolutely terrific Album from Vincent Mendoza might interest you - 'Epiphany'.

Top, top musicianship on it from all involved.

Vince is a terrific Composer and arranger with a brilliant body of work behind him. 

Jacques Loussier on the Bach album 

• 2 weeks later...

Mine's pretty small - about 3m x 3m (10 x10 or so in Brexits) and contains quite a lot of stuff. Windows 10-based system running Reaper with a Behringer UMC404 interface & X-Touch control surface. Actually, quite a bit of Behringer stuff...

studio1-21a.thumb.jpg.e64a09ac985357e5547dc038730bceef.jpg

studio1-21b.thumb.jpg.551ddaa3bd4f7686398ab509f73ad3f8.jpg

studio1-21c.thumb.jpg.fd8b50d16ba665105c60c910a8492343.jpg

Including a few in cases & out of sight, there are 15 basses & 8 guitars squeezed in here, as well as gawd alone knows what else. The bookshelves are temporary but indefinite migrants from another room being redecorated - needs a carpet fitted, which is a bit tricky right now, so the shelves ain't going anywhere fast.

When we first moved here 7 years ago, this room was actually used as a full practice area as well as recording studio. Our previous place had had a massive basement where we rehearsed & recorded (prone to flooding during heavy rain, leading to it being named The Diluvian Room) so with a bit of sensible scaling down, electronic kit & everything going through the mixer of my old Korg D1600, we managed this for a few months, until the drummer eventually got bored & wandered off, shortly followed by the guitarist. As they do:

2104963115_No-Room2015.thumb.jpg.b4038ca7f868b9d7b0a1a203c4b4c632.jpg

Unsurprisingly, this became known as The No-Room - which has sort of stuck.

When the kit went it was nice to be able to breathe for a bit, and not just because of the absence of Drummer Sweat. But as you can see, volume of stuff always expands to fill the available space. 9_9

• Like 5

On 21/01/2021 at 15:39, WinterMute said:

I had to get rid of the barefaced Big twin for lack of space, my studio is a converted single garage circa 1920 I think... small anyway.

I do try to keep the clutter down and the loft above holds all the cases etc.

Works for me.

IMG_6377.jpeg

IMG_6378 2.jpeg

IMG_6375.jpeg

IMG_6379 2.jpeg

MMMMMMMMMMMMM AMEK niiiiiiiccee,  gimme gimme. :-)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/01/2021 at 15:39, WinterMute said:

I had to get rid of the barefaced Big twin for lack of space, my studio is a converted single garage circa 1920 I think... small anyway.

I do try to keep the clutter down and the loft above holds all the cases etc.

Works for me.

IMG_6377.jpeg

IMG_6378 2.jpeg

IMG_6375.jpeg

IMG_6379 2.jpeg

I feel vindicated to know I'm not the only bass player who also loves Lego 😂

@binky_bass can we get a proper picture of your collection?? 😍

• Like 1

10 hours ago, bassist_lewis said:

I feel vindicated to know I'm not the only bass player who also loves Lego 😂

@binky_bass can we get a proper picture of your collection?? 😍

Most of it's been rescued from No. 2 boys collection as he gets into building the bigger stuff, although the Lunar Lander was for me...!

He's just started the Technic Porche 911, we did the Lambo and the Land Rover last year, both really fun builds.

On 12/01/2021 at 17:25, Dad3353 said:

Not at all..! They're all tuned to resonate in sympathy, and gives a 'signature' sound to the mic'ed recordings (sadly missing from the DI sessions without a Room Mic...).:|

:lol: :P

Is the wood they’re made of contributing the sound though ? Discuss ...🍿

7 minutes ago, Geek99 said:

Is the wood they’re made of contributing the sound though ? Discuss ...🍿

Yes, as is the shape of the tuning pegs and the strap button by acoustic reflection, and to much the same degree. Some bats can hear the difference if there's no wind. :|