Why become a member? ×

Yeah, but how SMALL is yours?

binky_bass

Over the last 6 months or so I've been creating a little home studio is the tiniest of rooms (about 8 times as long as the lower bout of a concert sized acoustic body and about 4 times as wide, so its small!!)

It currently houses 16 guitars/basses, 3 amps, a drumkit, a full Cubase recording set up with midi keyboard, monitors, vocal mics, ukuleles, various percussion items, a Helix LT etc etc. So everything one needs to record almost anything! And a fair bit of my Lego collection! 

Just for funzies, has anyone else shoe-horned this much into a tiny room? 

Everything, including the drumkit is direct into DAW, so the sound quality of the end product is actually surprisingly good! I mean, its not quite Abbey Road quality, but it's far from terrible! :)

20210104_131009.thumb.jpg.7ba98ee1dab8e3e0147ffda74fc9d11c.jpg

• Like 12

2 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

I’m just about to recommence the garage studio/office.

it’s not a bad space actually, about 4mx6m, had side doors fitted in June, then all hell broke loose over the summer so the clear/prepped garage is now back to “full of crap”.

😩

4m x 6m, you sir have a football field by comparison! We did 'try' to move house a few months ago, then removed the house from the market due to COVID, we'll eventually move once this is all over and I shall hopefully be able to snag a larger room/garage space! For now, my tiny room serves me well. Wouldn't say no to more space as and when life/the universe permit!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, binky_bass said:

4m x 6m, you sir have a football field by comparison! We did 'try' to move house a few months ago, then removed the house from the market due to COVID, we'll eventually move once this is all over and I shall hopefully be able to snag a larger room/garage space! For now, my tiny room serves me well. Wouldn't say no to more space as and when life/the universe permit!

Currently I have a corner of a small living room, so I’ll be able to dance and stuff...

having to do it piecemeal because of funds and time.

Hopefully, summer will be the finished article 

• Like 3

On 04/01/2021 at 17:32, binky_bass said:

Yes! Just getting this room ready. It's only 8ft by 10ft. It houses 40 various instruments, a couple of amps (the other three are under the stairs), workdesk, three full bookcases with further wall shelves rammed with books, a safe, a chair, a record player and a small cabinet full of CDs. Guitar rack made out of an old bit of bunk bed. Not room to swing a cat. Perhaps a shrew? 

IMG_20210107_154020.jpg

• Like 1

Over the last 6 months or so I've been creating a little home studio is the tiniest of rooms (about 8 times as long as the lower bout of a concert sized acoustic body and about 4 times as wide, so its small!!)

It currently houses 16 guitars/basses, 3 amps, a drumkit, a full Cubase recording set up with midi keyboard, monitors, vocal mics, ukuleles, various percussion items, a Helix LT etc etc. So everything one needs to record almost anything! And a fair bit of my Lego collection! 

Everything, including the drumkit is direct into DAW, so the sound quality of the end product is actually surprisingly good! I mean, its not quite Abbey Road quality, but it's far from terrible! :)

How do you actually fit in here without knocking everything over, Russ?  You aren't a small chap. :) 

47 minutes ago, Paul S said:

How do you actually fit in here without knocking everything over, Russ?  You aren't a small chap. :) 

I salmon dive into the room from the hallway. 

There is just enough space to navigate the room without tripping over things! 

IMG_20210107_194748.thumb.jpg.3ac2bea10b6fd396480824222dbdf7bb.jpgI've just built myself a studio desk at home as I'm doing more post production mixing now we're not allowed to gig. 

I was given the bay window space, with the strict directive that it wasn't to protrude in to the room. Think I've squeezed as much out of it as I can here!

The two end bays under the monitor shelf are sized so that I can add rack strip if I want to fit kit in there in future. Going to build a small guitar rack to hold two or three off to one side too. 

IMG_20210107_195202.thumb.jpg.955d434adbc543a0398cf3dd0c8dc175.jpg

IMG_20210108_192913.thumb.jpg.76ceb0c70299221a12fbb893d45a7fd5.jpg

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, lurksalot said:

How do you add another screen without slowing the whole shooting match down to a crawl ? 

I'm running a Surface Pro 4 from 2015 (the tiny screen in the pics) with a dock that has two MiniDisplayPort outputs. Runs the extra screens without any fuss at all. There's the occasional bit of scaling confusion when you drag something from one screen to another but for the most part it's worked effortlessly with no noticeable impact on performance so far. 

• Thanks 1

Why has nobody asked about the picture of Tuvok? I wouldn't find it odd except that it seems to be positioned so you can lock eyes with him as you drum....

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bobbass4k said:

Why has nobody asked about the picture of Tuvok? I wouldn't find it odd except that it seems to be positioned so you can lock eyes with him as you drum....

😂 Good spot! That shelf/contents of said shelf was there before the kit was honest!

There is a story behind that picture, if you look closely you'll see its signed by him to me, I had quite a long chat with Tim Russ (Tuvok) last year, he's a fellow bass player. Ended up getting a signed photo during that process. :)

• Like 1

Well, I didn't think I could squeeze any more in, but it happened... Massive upgrade to the drum kit. Had to rearrange the whole room, but everything is in and there's enough room to move and use everything in the room comfortably! Tessellation mastery!

Long live the Tiny Studio! 😁

20210111_183714.thumb.jpg.1a19997dbf64c328b131bbc5f4d5624d.jpg

20210111_183618.thumb.jpg.de58fc6f03917e3f3c22a9f969b87d6b.jpg

20210111_183629.thumb.jpg.8ffb469142ca32f2152f4b9ef2495a24.jpg

• Like 3

Looks big but is only the small bedroom 9 foot across 2 and 3/4M,  but its an active home studio, almost every day, i love the sound of it, releasing tracks at the mo, im just doing the brass on a funky Reggae type track, just waiting for my living room ceiling to cave in 🙂

IMG_0578.thumb.JPG.7e88b58cdf44a06eb6007191ab14ac7d.JPG

so in order to gain some space im just in the middle of making one of these, but with racks at the bottom either side as well.....

56018632_deskd8b.jpeg.a7af788b1d0ee71d8dd1fa821a6765f4.jpeg

Edited by funkgod
  • Like 4

ddddd.thumb.JPG.348b8dc62ceb2fabaa06c121b1dd639d.JPGLeggo ? mehh..... i got a hoops basket ball and a dub van 🙂 and wait for it ... a pringles shaker 🙂 No studio is complete with out the pringles shaker, its a must have for the cheap skates who cant afford a real one. its absolutely imperative you get the exact amount of split peas and rice,

Just waiting for someone to come along and top trump me with a Lava Lamp 🙂

Edited by funkgod

10 minutes ago, funkgod said:

its good for everything, i cant listen to punk anymore for me it THE Ingredient thats missing, just think how good "god save the queen" would have been with the pringles shaker in it ! ! its a no brainer.

"God Save the Queen, She Ain't No Sour Cream"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My studio (shed) is 8x10. It is rammed with stinky poo. Three basses, one double bass, six guitars, 88 note electric piano, two amps, pc, shelves of books, 1000 + cds, a soprano saxophone, hi fi and, taking up the most space by a country mile, my massive inflated ego. I sit in the middle of it pretending most of it isn't there. 

• Haha 3