Why become a member? ×

Fretless Bass Suggestions

PatrickJ

Nice thread this ... interesting to see the meandering down the Ibanez route I seem to be wandering too. 

Personally I’ve been thinking I’d veer toward a lined fingerboard, but this looks a beauty & I’ve heard good things about the bridge piezo pickups. 

How does it play? (& did you manage to swerve those brexit import customs fee’s - Bax have great prices but easy to get caught out)

24 minutes ago, mrHUGEs said:

Nice thread this ... interesting to see the meandering down the Ibanez route I seem to be wandering too. 

Personally I’ve been thinking I’d veer toward a lined fingerboard, but this looks a beauty & I’ve heard good things about the bridge piezo pickups. 

How does it play? (& did you manage to swerve those brexit import customs fee’s - Bax have great prices but easy to get caught out)

The bass is great and I haven't wanted to pickup any of my fretted basses since getting it. 

In terms of being lined you kind of have the best of both worlds with the Portamento since the top of the finger board is lined you still get the positioning guide but the main fingerboard remains clean for those classy looks :)  .  It's very easy to play, I've not bothered doing any sort of set up as out of the box it was pretty good though I reckon the action could come down a bit, the E string currently sitting at about 2.8mm at the 12th fret. 

There's a ton of flexibility in the tone as you have the 3 pickups.  For general day to day playing I have the piezo muted and neck and bridge at 100%, I've been trying some walking over jazz standards recently and for that I've been using the bridge and piezo (with tone rolled back quite a lot) pickups and neck muted for a more DB'esque sound.  Obviously you have the 2 band EQ aswell for on the fly adjustments.

Quality seems good overall, I was a little nervous when I first got it as when I lifted it from the box a loose screw fell out.   It was from the bridge pickup but I was able to screw it back in and it's not come loose again so doesn't appear to be a threading issue though still seems a strange thing to have been missed in whatever QC checks were done at the factory.

In terms of Bax, I didn't get stung for any import duties.  Initially I didn't realise they were based in the EU as it's a UK addressed website and the all the contact details (mailing address and phone) are UK based too.  Perhaps this is how they get around the Brexit thing.   Delivery was delayed as a result however, the initial delivery slot I chose was missed by quite a number of days as a result of the Covid and Brexit issues but I stress that this was days not weeks.  I initially tried the place the order via my phone and this messed things up for me a little.  For whatever reason the order did not process properly and it half went through but they didn't take payment.  Since they only had one bass in stock I couldn't reorder because it had been allocated to my previous order so I had to e-mail customer service.   Responses were fairly quick but it wasn't the easiest experience getting them to understand the issue and resolve it.  It did all get sorted by the next day but this was an extra day lost. 

Edited by PatrickJ
fixing spelling mistakes
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Sambrook said:

I've found cutting the hi mids at the amp really bring out the richness of the piezos. And Labella white nylons are perfect for this bass ( in my humble opinion)

I'm really keen to try tape wounds with this bass and the Piezo pickup