Why become a member? ×

Fretless Bass Suggestions

PatrickJ

2 minutes ago, Bunion said:

Is that still for sale? I noticed the add was from jan 2020 

that was after I commented on it of course...

Yes, it's still for sale.  I was talking to the  @Ted Theodore Logan, III about it over the past few days.

I am a fan of Sandberg bases, I own 2 v-series basses already.   The problem is it's in Devon, normally not an issue as my parents live there but since I'm in a Tier 4 lockdown area I can't travel west 😥

1 minute ago, PatrickJ said:

but since I'm in a Tier 4 lockdown area I can't travel west 😥

Technically if your a musician it’s ‘for work’ and you can’t collect it for your work ‘from home’ 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, caitlin said:

thread stealing, just to check, @philparker it's a 4 string not a 5, right? so i can crawl back under my rock rather than pestering you about it?

Yes, it's a 4-string (Corvette, F.N.A. Jazzman); I only play 5-strings these days, and I have too many bass guitars, as well as other instruments, so it will have to go at some stage this year!

Edited by philparker
spelling
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, sshorepunk said:

I had one of the sire fretless jazz bases, lovely fretboard but was lined, which I prefer 

sold it as I needed to cut my collection at the time, but will be buying another very soon 

About 400 quid they were at the time, lot of bass for the money and sire have a good rep’

I have one of these, lined maple fingerboard. It looks stunning and is lovely to play. Unfortunately mine is an absolute boat anchor, it weighs a ton and is sit-down only!

May not be true for all of them but I think they have a reputation for being a bit beefy.

OK, I've pulled the trigger on an Ibanez SRF 700 Portamento.  Should arrive Friday.

With the new national lock down going to look at / pick up used gear is not going to happen.  The Ibanez has a 120 day free return policy and I got it for a decent price.

New year, new gear :woot:

Edited by PatrickJ
  • Like 7

13 minutes ago, PatrickJ said:

OK, I've pulled the trigger on an Ibanez SRF 700 Portamento.  Should arrive Friday.

With the new national lock down going to look at / pick up used gear is not going to happen.  The Ibanez has a 120 day free return policy and I got it for a decent price.

New year, new gear :woot:

Congrats! Great choice - you'll struggle to find better for the money.

PS as you've already failed, recommend you steer clear of any bass gear abstinence threads 😁

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Grahambythesea said:

If the Ibanez proves unsatisfactory go for a Spector Spectorcore. It has the unsaleable bridge pickup and a magnetic pickup. Ebony board too.

Graham I'm a BIG Spector fan. But why is an "unsaleable" bridge pup a good thing? 😁

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Congrats! Great choice - you'll struggle to find better for the money.

PS as you've already failed, recommend you steer clear of any bass gear abstinence threads 😁

I'm all about the gear acquisition threads this year my friend!

If the OC-5 hadn't been out of stock every where I would have had one of them by now too.

1 minute ago, PatrickJ said:

I'm all about the gear acquisition threads this year my friend!

If the OC-5 hadn't been out of stock every where I would have had one of them by now too.

and me and Woody would then be in with a shout of getting it off you, then me 

At which point I would need to abandon any hope of gear abstinence too...😁

• Haha 1

PS fretless is less scary than it seems, particularly with side dots 😊. Just have fun and play, you'll pick it up in no time. My challenge for 2021 is to get up to speed and do my first gig with an upright fretless (aka Stagg EUB).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Al Krow said:

PS fretless is less scary than it seems, particularly with side dots 😊. Just have fun and play, you'll pick it up in no time. My challenge for 2021 is to get up to speed and do my first gig with an upright fretless (aka Stagg EUB).

One of the reasons I went for the Ibanez is although the face of the fingerboard is unlined it looks as though the top edge is.  

On 04/01/2021 at 19:10, PatrickJ said:

Sandberg every time 😉

Edited by Raslee

Still waiting for the Ibanez to be delivered.

Got a good price ordering from bax-shop.co.uk - however despite it being hosted on a UK domain it appears they are actually Dutch and the bass is being shipped from there.

When I placed the order I selected UPS delivery for last Friday - clearly there website has not been updated to account for Brexit delays.

Delivery was originally due to be today but now pushed back to Thursday -- over a week since I ordered it.  Outrageous!!! 

It appears to be in the UK now so hopefully the date won't be moved again, fingers crossed.

Edited by PatrickJ