Why become a member? ×

Fretless Bass Suggestions

PatrickJ

Hi Guys,

I'm looking for some 4 string fretless bass recommendations , new or used but no more spendy than 1000 GBP. 

I've an unlined fretless on loan to me right now and am really enjoying playing it but it's too heavy to be a keeper for me.

I can't find much in the way of offerings from the usual suspects of Bassdirect or Anderton's - I'm hoping the Basschat faithfuls can come up with some ideas.

I appreciate I could have any bass defretted and that's plan B but a nice ready made fretless would be ideal :).

Thanking you in advance .

• Thanks 1

My fretless(es) are mostly lightweight(around 7.9lbs) unlined Harley Bentons for less than £150. Spending a lot of money is best if you have specific requirement, so I would get something that's cost effective until you know what you want.

Edited by TheLowDown

I had one of the sire fretless jazz bases, lovely fretboard but was lined, which I prefer 

sold it as I needed to cut my collection at the time, but will be buying another very soon 

About 400 quid they were at the time, lot of bass for the money and sire have a good rep’

Edited by sshorepunk
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, uk_lefty said:

I picked up an unlined Warwick fretless Corvette that is incredibly light and has bags of mwaaaahhh. Decent bass. 

I may have one of these for sale, shortly, - I will post in the 'For Sale' if you are interested, when I can get round to taking photos etc.

Edited by philparker
spelling
  • Thanks 1

Portamento, or way down the price list but very very playable, the Revelation P bass as sold by Bass Gallery. Under £200 new and a cracking bass IMHO. I do wonder whether it's worth keeping the Portamento as the Rev keeps being my go-to bass.

Edited by lownote12
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

Quick look on ebay shows several examples of basses mentioned here. Personally I wouldn't say "NO" to the Mayones Be4, but there are others which others may prefer/recommend.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/4713/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=bass+guitar&_dmd=2&rt=nc&Body%20Type=Fretless&_dcat=4713

I'd clocked that BE4 on eBay, I've already messaged him to confirm the weight.  I like the Spector/Streamer design of it.

I had Mayones Jazz bass which was very nice but since I quit that band and haven't gigged since I sold it as I didn't need a 5 string anymore. 

58 minutes ago, philparker said:

I may have one of these for sale, shortly, - I will post in the 'For Sale' if you are interested, when I can get round to taking photos etc.

Thanks for the offer but I'd probably pass on the Corvette.  I had a fretted GPS 5 string a while ago but it suffered from a bit of irritating neck dive that I couldn't get on with.  I wouldn't pass up a Stage One Streamer of semi-hollow Infinity though.

Edited by PatrickJ

40 minutes ago, PatrickJ said:

Thanks for the offer but I'd probably pass on the Corvette.  I had a fretted GPS 5 string a while ago but it suffered from a bit of irritating neck dive that I couldn't get on with.  I wouldn't pass up a Stage One Streamer of semi-hollow Infinity though.

Hey, no problem - I will eventually get around to advertising it. I had a quick look at those on eBay and the Mayones Be-4 looked quite nice for all of those on offer.