Why become a member? ×

Ashdown RM800 EVOii

Guest BassAdder27

47 minutes ago, karlfer said:

Gutted I missed that offer, that is a great formatted head.

I had my eye on a new head, had around the £500 to spend and took too long humming and hawing over your Mesa before you withdrew it.

Two days later, this offer presented itself, so just jumped at the chance.

My hasteful reading of emails though yesterday, I actually misread the tracking for the delivery...it's coming Monday, wasn't yesterday...still, given I was initially told end of April........🤔😂

23 hours ago, lou24d53 said:

The eagle has landed...😎...

Only had 10 minutes or so to noodle around with, but very impressed...will get a right good blast - (well, thru phones, wee boy in bed!) - later tonight, muck around with the EQ.

20210111_152119.jpg

So what’s the verdict ?? 
It’s a great amp and has a great range of sounds 

Circumstances at home last night, I didn't get a great deal of time to noodle around, however I'd say it is very different to the Quilter I've been using.

I'll be honest, it hasn't blown me away, but I think I need a lot more time to get to grips with it.

There seems to be a strange tone to my ears, no matter how I play around with the EQ, it's almost like I'm hearing two signals, like two bass signals running alongside each other...even with headphones in, I'm still picking up like a "double" signal tone...is that normal?

I noticed the feet on mine are hard material and a slight vibration from my cab especially with the Shape button in

You could check by putting amp on floor and make sure you’re not picking up vibration which can sound a bit like a harmony tone !

Apart from that assuming you have Sub turned completely down and you’re not cranking the input I’m not sure ?

I run my input with my PBass about 1 o clock which is lower than the VU suggestion of just hitting the red on a loudest note. I prefer a clean input signal and use the master as it has a ton of headroom 

Sorry just read your message and it does it even with headphones ?

It sounds like your Sub isn’t completely off perhaps 

I don’t have the foot switch but you could possibly still have a tiny amount of sub harmoniser running which is wrong 

You could email Mark at Ashdown as they are super helpful 

On 11/01/2021 at 15:28, Merton said:

Nice! I love the new look of the black fascia and silver housing. The tart in me would actually swap my chrome-fronted one for one of these if the opportunity arose :D

Agreed. The black fascia looks the business.

• Like 1

On 11/01/2021 at 15:28, Merton said:

Nice! I love the new look of the black fascia and silver housing. The tart in me would actually swap my chrome-fronted one for one of these if the opportunity arose :D

If you're a tart, I guess I am too! I'd love black fascia on mine

• Like 1

On 12/01/2021 at 15:09, lou24d53 said:

Circumstances at home last night, I didn't get a great deal of time to noodle around, however I'd say it is very different to the Quilter I've been using.

I'll be honest, it hasn't blown me away, but I think I need a lot more time to get to grips with it.

There seems to be a strange tone to my ears, no matter how I play around with the EQ, it's almost like I'm hearing two signals, like two bass signals running alongside each other...even with headphones in, I'm still picking up like a "double" signal tone...is that normal?

Ok, so hands up who rushed straight in, plunking away and never bothered to read the manual...

I had no idea there even was a sub-harmonics function on this amp... 🙈 

Instruction manuals are an eye opener...😂😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Yep it was me who mentioned it !!

Funny thing is I had the very first ABM heads back in the day and I discovered the Sub Harmonizer feature which is now on most of the heads still

Hope you’re now enjoying it ?

im loving the Shape IN and EQ IN and take out a bit of bass and boost the mids 

Great sound 

Thanks for that. 👍

Had a play around tonight, still only via phones - (I've a 3 year old, so I'm quite limited in when I can play "loud!) - but yeah, happy now I've sussed out my school boy error.

Hopefully get a good blast thru the speaker at the weekend...but my initial reservations have definitely been reversed completely.

Glad you’re sorted and happy with the amp so far. 

I find when you do use the compressor it’s best around 9 to 10 o’clock 

Drive only on a small amount when required, I think mine is only just on when engaged. SUB use sparingly as a little goes a long way on the low notes 

mostly I leave drive and sub off though 

I also run my input control at about 12 o clock which according to the needle very low to mid input. With such a lot of output power you have plenty of volume trust me 

Mine is with a passive bass 

9 hours ago, BassAdder27 said:

Glad you’re sorted and happy with the amp so far. 

Drive only on a small amount when required, I think mine is only just on when engaged. SUB use sparingly as a little goes a long way on the low notes 

I also run my input control at about 12 o clock which according to the needle very low to mid input. With such a lot of output power you have plenty of volume trust me 

Mine is with a passive bass 

I play passive basses too, mainly P's.

That's actually not too far away from where I ended up myself. The Sub, I highly doubt I'll ever use to be honest and the Drive, I started off around 9 or 10 o'clock, but quickly turned it down to about 7 o'clock.

I'll get a better feel for it at weekend playing thru the cab though. 

Although I don't tend to set up my pedals at home, play thru a Tech 21 VT Bass pedal normally at rehearsal and gigging, so will no doubt need to tweak further.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, BassAdder27 said:

That’s exactly the settings I’ve found that work for me, any more compression than 10 o clock doesn’t sound good to me, and I don’t use drive or sub at all, it seemed to distort the sound, but I suppose it depends what type of music you play, I like a nice clean deep bass 🙂

• Like 1

That’s very true I’m adding some mids and taking a little bass out.

As Shape IN adds 50hz boost you cannot achieve the same sound with only the EQ etc 

I like to think of it as enhancing the SHAPE sound ( smiley face ) and just adding a bit more punch. It seems to work 👍