Why become a member? ×

New neck or New bass

ROBR

Hi,

I have MM fretted 5 Stringray (1993, 22 frets).  I have been recently moving to playing fretless, via a converted 4 string Ibanez SR. (works Ok).  However, I would like to move to a 5 string fretless for the low B option.  I can either buy a Status carbon fibre neck for the MM for about £400 all in or get a 2nd hand 5 string fretless Ibanez/cort for about the same money.  ( No I am not ripping out the frets in the MM neck).  I am thinking more about the new neck as I get to play the MM which is being neglected and I can't bear to sell her etc, and it means I don't have to sneak another bass into the house.

Any comments .....

I'd go for a decent replacement/alternative neck.

I've had/played a few cheap fretless basses and found them to have "interesting" undulations on the fingerboard, which does have an influence in the mwaa in the tone. There's clearly more to a fretless neck than simply a standard neck with frets ripped out.

When Leo Fender invented the bass, it was designed as such so replacements necks could be fitted easily. It's amazing how little this actually happens. I've done it a few times and it really does just feel like getting a new instrument, albeit one that is familiar and you are settled into playing. So I would also add that the neck is the smart option here.

Hmmm, if you are absolutely, definitely, positively sure you won't need a fretted bass in the future, then I guess the Status neck option is the way to go and you get to retain the 'Ray5 as your (I assume) main bass. That said, I'd also be sorely tempted to go for the Ibanez (or Cort) option -- maybe also consider the Sire fretless 5, if you haven't already? I certainly agree that you should NOT mess with the fretted Ray5 neck! :) 

I'd go for the status neck, it's really very easy to swap the necks if you're confident about setting action and intonation. I'd have thought you'd get good resale value for the neck if you went that way and didn't like it. Presumably you'll keep the fretted neck?