Why become a member? ×

A post brexit question.

BaggyMan

Long story short. I ordered synth from DV247 uk website. It was in stock in their Germany warehouse and they will ship it from there(info AFTER payment). Few days before delivery on UPS website tracking appeared message: pay £120 pounds import fee. I was a bit annoyed and called dv247 to ask what is going on. They suggested to pay the fee and send the invoice to them which I denied. They then said they will try to sort it out and call me back. Call never happened. So I called them back 2 days later to check what’s going on and dv247 said they proceeded with payment themselves and I should be able to receive parcel in a few days. Few days later still nothing and message on ups website still same: pay import fee. After a few days of calls to dv247 finally I had a delivery date arranged. Upon delivery ups driver demanded me to pay import fee and threatened me with police! I was shocked. UPS CS told me that yes, it is right and I have to pay the fee otherwise they involve police(?) BS. Last call to DV247 made after delivery attempt and they back UPS too saying that payment for the fee still pending and what they can do is to pay again(?) BS. So now my parcel god knows where, payment for import fee still pending and I was treated like a criminal. Well done DV247, well done UPS.

• 1 month later...
On 15/01/2021 at 11:06, Bassy said:

Hi, I bought a Fender fretless neck from DV247, £193, shipped from Germany, delivered by UPS. I was charged an extra £51 by UPS before they would deliver. So it seems that the UK import charges are now the same for USA or Europe or the world. Not sure what happened to all those brexit trade deals?? 

Just a follow-up to this. DV247 finally reimbursed me the £51. It was a quick and painless procedure involving about 20 emails, creating an account with UPS and finally having going to the UPS office to get an invoice. Only took 4 months. Easy peasy...grrrrrr.

Out of interest where are muziker.co.uk based (it’s not the UK)! I read a load of negative comments on line but took the gamble and ordered anyway (Fender neck) no additional fees and one of the quickest and easiest web purchases ever.

• Like 1

DV247 seems to be owned by a German co called musicstore. The problem is that their main warehouse is in Cologne, so UPS insisted in charging import tax and admin fees as the neck was a EU import. But because I ordered the neck from the UK site, DV247 had to refund the import charges. I think this problem is the same for Thomann and Bax? 

• 4 months later...

Since July 1st, EVERY parcel coming from outside the EU into the EU will be charged with VAT. 

MEaning that as of July 1st, EVRYTHING you send to the EU will be held back by customs. So if you sent a bass or anything without face value, custom work won't be possible. 

It was meant to counter the AliBaBa, Wish, and so on, but it'll affect everyone. 

Not sure exactly how it works but in another thread there are some happy purchasers of goods from the EU at much better prices than in the UK, and where they’ve not had to pay any extra charges. Bought from Musik Productiv I believe.

2 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

Bought from Musik Productiv I believe.

Musik Productiv were one of the first EU big shops to collect UK vat. Most of the large shops now won't be a hassle at all. The only tricky ones will be small shops and individuals, its the only people it really impacts now.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Hello,

Could someone clarify the point about article made in UK or EU ?

Indeed, someone said that most musical industry articles are made abroad, but what about a bass that is  made in Germany (Sandberg for instance) and would be sell by a UK forumer to a EU forumer ?

Thanks gentlemen

22 minutes ago, Shiveringbass said:

Could someone clarify the point about article made in UK or EU ?

It doesn't matter where something is made, all that matters is where that thing is. If you are in the UK and want to send something to the EU or vice versa, you need to pay import duties and VAT to your own country. So it doesn't matter if it is someone selling a german bass from the UK to Germany, all that matters is that it is in the UK and it needs to go to the UK.

39 minutes ago, Shiveringbass said:

Thanks. I thought there was something excluding made in UK or EU article from all that mess.

;)

We always had to pay VAT on purchases of new goods UK <-->EU, it’s just that it's been extended to used goods too, now, which is a shame, but puts us in a similar position as VAT on imports of used goods from the US or Japan etc. 

There is an additional point to do with import duties which is usually a much smaller number than the VAT. No import duties on new goods that have a UK or EU source of origin, but if it is considered eg Chinese source of origin then import duties can apply. What the amount of actual local content to make something "locally UK or EU" varies, depending on the product, and is certainly beyond my expertise though! 

Edited by Al Krow

• 5 weeks later...

I bought a pickguard from the US recently. Taxes were included in the purchase price. As far as I know it was just VAT. 2 weeks later it arrived and I didn't get any extra charges.

The negative point was it came with some free chocolate which was bloody awful. 

• Like 1