Why become a member? ×

A post brexit question.

BaggyMan

On 04/01/2021 at 12:15, ped said:

The worst thing about it is the delays it'll cause - every time I've imported something from Japan or the USA it's taken them about a week to send me the letter to pay the duty. That's time I could be slapping. Quite happy to pay extra tbh for the time being, until who knows what deals will happen now that pragmatism can take over from the politics.

Now, if you want to import something from anywhere abroad (EU or non-EU), the seller (if it's a business) will have to VAT register with HMRC, and collect VAT on their behalf, and then submit returns. Alternatively, they'll say "We no longer supply UK customers".

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, tauzero said:

Now, if you want to import something from anywhere abroad (EU or non-EU), the seller (if it's a business) will have to VAT register with HMRC, and collect VAT on their behalf, and then submit returns. Alternatively, they'll say "We no longer supply UK customers".

They might - that's up to them. Someone else will if they don't. I'm fairly upbeat about it all and although we're in the middle of the 'just torn off the band-aid' phase, I firmly believe in the long run it's a good thing. No change is easy.

1 hour ago, tauzero said:

I am afraid I have to point out that this is incorrect.

29 minutes ago, Hellzero said:

Here you can download a very well made guide for selling outside U.K. https://www.sendcloud.co.uk/whitepapers/

Here it is straight from the horses mouth (and up to date on 31/12/20) https://www.gov.uk/guidance/vat-exports-dispatches-and-supplying-goods-abroad

I am always a little wary of any offering from outside the Agency that actually polices this. I don't doubt its veracity (I haven't read it) but I would always suggest you go to the source rather than an interpretation.

Sorry for being a bit pedantic here but this is based on a lot of years experience - on both sides of the fence.

Edited by Steve Browning
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Steve Browning said:

I am afraid I have to point out that this is incorrect.

Apologies, I thought I'd got a grasp of it. Evidently not.

I'm glad all I have to deal with is the software for the customs side of things of sending pharmaceutical items from GB to NI. I think having to do the VAT too would send me into early retirement.

2 hours ago, Steve Browning said:

Here it is straight from the horses mouth (and up to date on 31/12/20) https://www.gov.uk/guidance/vat-exports-dispatches-and-supplying-goods-abroad

I am always a little wary of any offering from outside the Agency that actually polices this. I don't doubt its veracity (I haven't read it) but I would always suggest you go to the source rather than an interpretation.

Sorry for being a bit pedantic here but this is based on a lot of years experience - on both sides of the fence.

There doesn't seem to be any obvious guide to exporting items from outside GB into GB (so from the point of view of a non-GB business). There's one on imports but that seems to be concerned only with GB businesses importing from outside GB.

So, after going through the various threads on the ins and outs of buying from the EU there were a few different opinions on what'll happen when you buy stuff. I was definitely confused. 

Anyway, I decided to buy a pedal and see what happens, so I bought from DV247 and the pedal was shipped from their warehouse in Germany. It arrived today, with fairly minimal delay and no extra charges. Whether that was because they have a UK shop, or if it means there won't be any charge from other EU sellers I don't know. Just thought I'd share in case anyone was wondering about buying from them and wasn't sure about charges etc. 

5 minutes ago, Jonesy said:

So, after going through the various threads on the ins and outs of buying from the EU there were a few different opinions on what'll happen when you buy stuff. I was definitely confused. 

Anyway, I decided to buy a pedal and see what happens, so I bought from DV247 and the pedal was shipped from their warehouse in Germany. It arrived today, with fairly minimal delay and no extra charges. Whether that was because they have a UK shop, or if it means there won't be any charge from other EU sellers I don't know. Just thought I'd share in case anyone was wondering about buying from them and wasn't sure about charges etc. 

Did you pay VAT when you bought it? If yes then that would be why there were no other charges levied. They have a UK presence, they’ll therefore be VAT registered here.

5 minutes ago, ambient said:

Did you pay VAT when you bought it? If yes then that would be why there were no other charges levied. They have a UK presence, they’ll therefore be VAT registered here.

Yep, there was VAT on a separate line of the invoice and at checkout 

On 11/01/2021 at 12:19, Steve Browning said:

I have noted in another thread that the rules from NI changed on Friday. NI sales/purchases from GB are treated as domestic and not exported/imported to/from NI as was previously the case.

Do you have a link to find out more information? There doesn't seem to be any change on the gov.uk website for the advice on exporting from GB to NI.

Just to clarify a few points:-

- import duty will still apply to most goods that move from the EU to the UK. The Free Trade Agreement referred has no effect on goods manufactured majoritavely outside of the UK or EU (which applies to most goods in this industry).

- shipments under a gross value of £135 (€150) are sent VAT accounted by the seller (provided they are registered for UK VAT), and with no duty. As such, the price you pay is the total price and there is nothing else to pay on delivery.

- shipments over this threshold are treated as a normal import, and VAT/duty/handling fees will likely be applied by the courier.

Hi, I bought a Fender fretless neck from DV247, £193, shipped from Germany, delivered by UPS. I was charged an extra £51 by UPS before they would deliver. So it seems that the UK import charges are now the same for USA or Europe or the world. Not sure what happened to all those brexit trade deals?? 

41 minutes ago, Bassy said:

Hi, I bought a Fender fretless neck from DV247, £193, shipped from Germany, delivered by UPS. I was charged an extra £51 by UPS before they would deliver. So it seems that the UK import charges are now the same for USA or Europe or the world. Not sure what happened to all those brexit trade deals?? 

So about 20% VAT, plus a £12 handling fee by the sounds of things.

Previously, you'd have just paid the 20% VAT directly to DV247. But not the extra £12 from UPS.

2 minutes ago, Jonesy said:

I got a pedal from DV247 and didn't get charged and VAT was a separate line on my invoice and in the cart. Maybe mine snuck through or there's some sort of threshold before customs look at it?

VAT looks to have been applied to the neck though?

image.thumb.png.01c94b9ad18376750874d1e5b4ec601f.png

Certainly does appear that it's vat-inclusive. Foreign retailers shouldn't be charging UK VAT for invoices exceeding £135. It's probably worth clarifying with the retailer, though I suspect it may be a system issue due to rushing through the new changes.

18 minutes ago, geoham said:

Certainly does appear that it's vat-inclusive. Foreign retailers shouldn't be charging UK VAT for invoices exceeding £135. It's probably worth clarifying with the retailer, though I suspect it may be a system issue due to rushing through the new changes.

Is DV247 a "foreign" retailer though? If it is importing the goods from its German warehouse first that's it's call and it can deal with the paperwork internally.

Very much the model that we are hoping Thomann will adopt in the near future.