Why become a member? ×

Selling Items to UK now?

Quilly

1 minute ago, ambient said:

The same rules apply from the north as they do in the south.

Is that the case. I genuinely don't know. I assumed the north is part of the UK so didn't have the tax issues of the EU.
I wonder how that will work for some larger companies based in NI. One I've dealt with in the past is Chain Reaction Cycles, they send a lot of bike parts to the UK mainland.

17 minutes ago, Grangur said:

Isn't Boris' "Great New Deal" all about keeping the border open and having free trade? etc, etc?

I know we're not in the Customs Union but not sure what the implications are of this.

I suspect that it isn't sustainable and will be quietly changed at some point 

Edited by peteb
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Andermtc said:

Is that the case. I genuinely don't know. I assumed the north is part of the UK so didn't have the tax issues of the EU.
I wonder how that will work for some larger companies based in NI. One I've dealt with in the past is Chain Reaction Cycles, they send a lot of bike parts to the UK mainland.

Northern Ireland is still part of the customs Union, and the single market. That’s why many businesses are annoyed, especially those based in NI that have branches in mainland UK, and obviously vice versa. They now - despite BJ’s previous lies and obfuscation - have to complete declarations.

9 minutes ago, Andermtc said:

That's the big compromise, they've had to keep NI in the customs union and put the tax boarder in the Irish Sea. Otherwise they would have been in breech of the Good Friday agreement (i.e. international law)   

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ambient said:

Northern Ireland is still part of the customs Union, and the single market. That’s why many businesses are annoyed, especially those based in NI that have branches in mainland UK, and obviously vice versa. They now - despite BJ’s previous lies and obfuscation - have to complete declarations.

Yep - NI in literally Limbo, they're now closer to the EU and (much to the annoyance of the DUP) the Irish Republic.    

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, peteb said:

I suspect that it isn't sustainable and will be quietly changed at some point 

Totally agree. This "deal" is a rush-job. BJ was banking on a deal with Trump, until Biden put a wrecking ball in the mix for them.  :D
So the past month has seen BJ on his knees for a deal, any deal!

Edited by Grangur
  • Like 4

I saw this morning on the news a ferry load of Truck Drivers from Ireland disembarking at Dunkirk. Its a 24hr crossing which is fairly significant but the feeling was "at least we know its going to be 24hr and we're not stuck in our lorries without a bog". The crossing service had increased to 6 days a week now. That's a lot of business lost along the old land bridge through the UK.    

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Quilly said:

I saw this morning on the news a ferry load of Truck Drivers from Ireland disembarking at Dunkirk. Its a 24hr crossing which is fairly significant but the feeling was "at least we know its going to be 24hr and we're not stuck in our lorries without a bog". The crossing service had increased to 6 days a week now. That's a lot of business lost along the old land bridge through the UK.    

Is that the new crossing I read about the other week?

Interesting article in the Irish news, Quilly, coming from the Department of State, particularly the line in bold. I wonder does the reverse apply for the UK?

Purchases under €22 will not face additional charges, but anything over €22 will see the addition of an Irish VAT charge.

Goods valued at more than €150 will also be subject to customs duty. The amount to be charged will vary depending on the nature of the item.

Consumers are also being warned that only goods bought from the UK that are of UK origin will avoid tariffs under the Free Trade Agreement in place.

So, if goods sourced outside the EU are being sold by a British seller to an Irish consumer, tariffs and other charges can be applied.

The Department of Enterprise, Trade and Employment is also advising consumers here to seek a refund if British sellers apply a UK VAT charge to their transactions.

In a statement, the Department said consumers should seek a refund from the UK suppliers they are purchasing from.

Irish consumers shopping with UK retailers are also no longer able to avail of EU consumers rights. Instead purchases from UK retailers will only be subject to UK consumer protection legislation.

3 hours ago, Doctor J said:

Interesting article in the Irish news, Quilly, coming from the Department of State, particularly the line in bold. I wonder does the reverse apply for the UK?

That will be fun, given the Rules of Origin protocols. If something is assembled in GB, if the parts it's assembled from aren't all GB in origin, they all have to be accounted for and if a certain proportion aren't GB (I think it's by value, the proportion is IIRC somewhere around the 50% mark) then it's not a GB-origin item. I assume that the Irish article means GB rather than UK, as NI is EU (rules-wise, anyway), and UK = GB + NI.