Why become a member? ×

Help needed with Cakewalk and USB drivers.

dave_bass5

Ive been using Cakewalk by Bandlab (Windows 10) for a few weeks without issues with my Yamaha MODX. I use this as both audio and midi interface. I can record midi tracks, and then use the MODX to record them as audio. The MODX works as an audio device.

A few days ago i brought a Scarlett Solo and thats working fine outside of Cakewalk, but as soon as i launch Cakewalk it becomes the default audio in/out and the Yamaha gets grey’ed out. Midi is still working (this is over USB), but i cant bounce the midi down to audio unless I physically disconnect the Scarlett. 

I also have Cubase Elements 11 and have no such issues. Either can be used without effecting the other.
Just wondering if anyone knows a setting that needs to be changed? I’d like to go over to Cakewalk full time but not if i have to do this each time.

Thanks for any help. 

Maybe try this:

In Sonar, there is a tick box that allows you to share drivers with other apps.You should find it in 'Preferences'.

In Cubase/Nuendo it is named slightly different: Studio/studio set up/devices/audio system: Release Driver when application is in background.

I've not been near Sonar in years, so I am guessing really. But the above is worth trying.

Thanks. Not sure that will help but ill have a look for it. 

To be clear. Yamaha drivers working fine if the Scarlett isnt plugged in. Ive been using the Yamaha as my main windows sound device for ages. If the Scarlett is plugged in Cakewalk disables the ability to turn the Yamaha drivers back on, and insists on using the Scarlett as the audio in/out. I can turn it off, but cant enable the Yamaha.

Windows is set to use the Yamaha so its not taking the settings from that. 

As you say, in Cubase you set the in/out devices in Studio or the reverent settings and it sticks. There is a similar section in Cakewalk but its getting overridden if two devices are connected. Even though i only use the Yamaha with it and dont want to use the Scarlett at all. 

Panic over, I found  that i need to turn off the Scarlett as the output device first. This then allowed me to change the input device and output devices back to the Yamaha. Not sure what why the Scarlett becomes the default but at least i know a workaround. 

• Like 1