Why become a member? ×

Music, software file management/multiple hard drives

SH73

Happy new year BCrs. I decided to kick off my " music production" this year with the most neglected part in my IT arsenal i.e. file management etc.

I tend to lump everything on my SSD drive, software, plug ins, tracks, user library the whole lot, leaving my HDD empty.

My plan is to use my internal SSD for DAW software and plug ins. Then dedicate my internal HDD for tracks audio recording.

Have an external SSD for samples and sound libraries and have a fourth external SSD for back up.

I'm sure this topic has been discussed previously but I can't find a link. How do you organize your files etc. There are so many articles on this subject.

Lastly, my download files folder takes up lots of GB. So , after let's say I install a particular software is it safe to delete the installer. Some websites say yes some have different views.

in my case I use a dedicated gaming laptop with only 250gb SSD and a 1tb HDD. My DAW is Ableton. I found  good articles on Ableton site , but would be interested to hear/ share how you folks manage you IT stuff.

• Like 1

Personally I'd keep downloaded files for as long as you can - in the future, some downloads will become unavailable, so if you ever needed to replace/rebuild the computer, you'd be stuck (forced to upgrade to a newer version of some software, possibly at a cost).

There's no right or wrong way to organise files over multiple disks. There's obvious general principles (like....do backups....never rely on one spindle...etc) Personally my split is similar to yours (256GB fast SSD, 1TB slow SSD, other external backup drives) and I wish I'd gotten 512GB! I keep this for OS and programs, no data on it unless temporarily there for fast stuff.

Edited by paul_c2
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, paul_c2 said:

Personally I'd keep downloaded files for as long as you can - in the future, some downloads will become unavailable, so if you ever needed to replace/rebuild the computer, you'd be stuck (forced to upgrade to a newer version of some software, possibly at a cost).

There's no right or wrong way to organise files over multiple disks. There's obvious general principles (like....do backups....never rely on one spindle...etc)

I might move downloaded files on a dedicated external drive to free up space.

All my DAW project files live on a separate hard drive. I use Logic which has a handy function in the save command that ensures that all the required "assets" for any one project are copied into the same folder as the song file(s). I would expect any good modern DAW to do the same.

I don't have loads of 3rd party plug-ins so managing them isn't a problem. They live in their default locations on my system drive. I could move them, but the spacing savings Vs the hassle doesn't make it worth while.

I very rarely keep the installer files. My downloads folder only contains things I haven't got around to filing or deleting.

As other have said there is no correct way. Just what works best for you.

• Like 1

IIRC, most DAW's have a function in there so you can specify a file path for where you want to store files, usually called something like "Preferences", "Options" or "User Settings", some may have some options on the initial start-up screen before you get into the project song itself, but it can still be accessed from the menu's.

Edited by Skybone
  • Like 1

I use an internal SSD for DAW software, Virtual Instruments and plug ins.

A second internal SSD for my projects/recordings.

Two external SSD's for Sample Libraries and any other Samples, along with various video files that are needed.

I have an external 2TB HDD for storing finished projects (which are also stored on various Clouds). This is only plugged in when needed for transfer of files and projects.

Another external 2TB HDD for storing downloaded Sample libraries I have purchased. Although, some of these are available on the various vender websites as well. Once again, only plugged in when needed.

DAW(s): Nuendo and Studio One.

Edited by lowdown
  • Like 1

I’ll follow this , but I really am struggling to understand the detail of what you are all saying :o

I will need to do something soon as I am starting to get glitches when recording with a few FX /vst’s up .

so I probably need a more efficient way of running the thing.

I do have workarounds by turning FX off till I need them , but I’ll need to sort it properly  soon 

One of the easiest ways to cut down on processor and disk access bottlenecks when running a project is to use your effects in the same you would in the days before computer recording using buses instead of inserts.

Keep insert effects just instances where a single track only needs that effect, and use buses for global effects like reverbs.

The other thing to do is if a particular track contains multiple regions from multipole takes and edits, consider consolidating it into a single audio file, as it reducing the disc access burden.

TBH unless you are creating massive orchestral soundscapes using sample libraries, there shouldn't be any reason for any modern computer to be running out of steam when recording or mixing a song.

1 hour ago, BigRedX said:

One of the easiest ways to cut down on processor and disk access bottlenecks when running a project is to use your effects in the same you would in the days before computer recording using buses instead of inserts.

Keep insert effects just instances where a single track only needs that effect, and use buses for global effects like reverbs.

The other thing to do is if a particular track contains multiple regions from multipole takes and edits, consider consolidating it into a single audio file, as it reducing the disc access burden.

TBH unless you are creating massive orchestral soundscapes using sample libraries, there shouldn't be any reason for any modern computer to be running out of steam when recording or mixing a song.

I do try doing a lot of that , buses , gluing sections of takes , rendering midi to audio etc 

I also turn off the internet while I’m doing it !

1 hour ago, lurksalot said:

The machine is the main family PC , it does need cleaning up a bit I’m sure 

It's probably running loads of processes that are getting in the way of your music-making activities.

Close ALL your applications except your DAW. Switch off WiFi and Bluetooth. If you really are 100% definitely disconnected from the internet then you can turn off any anti-virus, and malware section apps, but make sure you re-enable them all before reconnecting.

Is this a laptop? If so you will surprised how many devices are hogging the USB buses, and will be interfering with your audio interface and hard drive.

• 1 year later...

I had such a story at work that we kept all the files on one disk, which subsequently lost most of the material and essential information. I understood that there is a way out of this situation, and it's best to contact a company that can help with external hard drive recovery. The whole company was worried that something might go wrong and the files would be impossible to recover, so we simultaneously tried to recreate the files first or download them from emails. But we wouldn't have enough of this information, so I'm grateful that all the data was recovered and subsequent problems were prevented.

Edited by Lesagerc

Rule of thumb is that your OS HD houses your plug-ins and DAW software etc, another HD holds libraries for synths samplers as they can get very big and a third drive is allocated as the project drive and holds all the audio/MIDI and arrangement data files. I think thats generally what you are planning to do anyway.

Buss controllers become an issue, even USB 3 is a serial buss, so watch what you've got on the buss that your audio HD is on.

I'd try to keep the Project HD off the common USB buss that the OS uses for keyboard and mouse etc. if you can. Try not to run external HD's off USB hubs unless they are low priority back up drives.

Anti-virus software, or indeed firewall etc. can cause issues with DAWs, but you can usually resolve them.