Why become a member? ×

Sandberg Panther Special - tonal characteristics?

falling_in2_infinity

I was wondering if there's anyone with experience of the Sandberg Panther Specials, who could help me understand it's fundamental tonal characteristics?

Obviously I'd expect some tonewood variance, so I'm just looking for a ballpark idea.  I've listened to the limited set of examples on youtube, but would be interested in players' experiences - including anyone who's played them with a pick.

Background: I currently own a California VM2, which I find to be 'warm' and 'beefy', with a rounded tone.  It can be brightened-up, but gets a bit harsh.

Thanks!

Edited by falling_in2_infinity
  • Like 1

It’s the gem in the Sandberg line up, oft undervalued - I’ve played with a pick and fingers and it fits like a glove. Totally a bit more mellow I would say compared to the VM, but that is not a bad thing, it is still rich and full bodied. I haven’t cranked it with distortion, but there is no reason why it wouldn’t give a bit of bite to its tone, it is a panther after all (awful joke).

It’s a phenomenal bass

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cuzzie said:

It’s the gem in the Sandberg line up, oft undervalued - I’ve played with a pick and fingers and it fits like a glove. Totally a bit more mellow I would say compared to the VM, but that is not a bad thing, it is still rich and full bodied. I haven’t cranked it with distortion, but there is no reason why it wouldn’t give a bit of bite to its tone, it is a panther after all (awful joke).

It’s a phenomenal bass

Cheers Cuzzie, that's some really valuable insight!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cuzzie said:

The thing that blew me away also was the weight and craftsmanship of the curves - it’s so thin yet rounded it’s a wonder-it’s also very versatile with its config and options 

Thanks!  Sounds lovely.  I've only played the Sandberg California and Custom models before, so it's nice to get an idea of what the Panther is like. 

There's two Panthers available from PMT at the moment, and I'm thinking about ordering one just to try it out.

I bought my Panther from Oxford PMT one year ago - and I think I've played it only 3 or 4 times some then! It sounds and feels beautiful - but I am nervous about damaging it, so only play my cheaper basses.

As above, it's up for sale, simply too good a bass for my simple needs.

13 hours ago, FinnDave said:

I bought my Panther from Oxford PMT one year ago - and I think I've played it only 3 or 4 times some then! It sounds and feels beautiful - but I am nervous about damaging it, so only play my cheaper basses.

As above, it's up for sale, simply too good a bass for my simple needs.

Thanks!

I'm very much still in the mode of gathering info about how they sound at the moment, before making an informed purchase.  (my comment about buying from PMT was literally just to take advantage of the 14-day returns, in lieu of being able to visit any shops).

I hope your sale is successful! :)

I  want to try one as well. But also I don't because they are quite pricey, I might really like it and I have taken up a new job near Abingdon which is getting a bit close to @FinnDave.

Fortunately Boris has just saved the day and I won't be going anywhere for the next three months. #bloodythinsilverlining

• Like 1

Abingdon's just down the road - if your new job's on the Witney side of Abingdon, then you're even closer….

30 minutes ago, falling_in2_infinity said:

Thanks!

I'm very much still in the mode of gathering info about how they sound at the moment, before making an informed purchase.  (my comment about buying from PMT was literally just to take advantage of the 14-day returns, in lieu of being able to visit any shops).

I hope your sale is successful! :)

Thank you, I am sure it will go once someone has a chance to try it - the bass has a wonderful 'singing' tone to the higher notes - never played anything with quite that sound.