Why become a member? ×

Pick, fingers or both? - also if pick, which do you use?

I started on a pick then after about 8/9 years switched to fingers when I joined a new band. I couldn't actually play with my fingers at that point but just persevered & nobody noticed in the meantime!

About 10 years ago I started to use a pick again for the odd song & now I am almost entirely back to using a pick.

Herco Gold or Silver - I alternate between the two every so often.

See the source image

Fingers almost exclusively, but I also use my index finger as a pick, ie finger and thumb together as if holding a plectrum, and striking the string (with the finger nail side) rather than plucking it.

I first started this years ago when I was playing guitar and dropped my last plectrum through the sound hole while on stage, so just had to go for it, found it worked for me, so continued......

Edited by Baxlin
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 12/01/2021 at 12:33, BigRedX said:

....which I buy 100 at a time.

Oh good, I thought I was the only one. Everybody else on BC is all "I've had this one pick for 84 years and it's my best friend". Dunlop sell them by the 72, which I've bought two sets of my favourites. They changed the colour of the 1.14 a bit over the years.

picks.jpg

Edited by Jack
  • Haha 1

Plectrums.thumb.JPG.6165484f83f57da2fe33a187920588e0.JPG

Part of my collection, mostly kept in what, 35 years ago would have been known as a 'stash box' -  Golden Virginia tin*. A few of these are older than the tin, other beloved ones like my shark fin, mandolin and finger picking ones have long gone.

*Of which there are three types:

Basic - with the logo scratched out to read "COLD.. VIRGIN.." (How we laughed).

Painted - normally used by hippy types (e.g. me).

Old Lag - entirely encased in matchsticks.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/01/2021 at 15:08, el borracho said:

I started on a pick then after about 8/9 years switched to fingers when I joined a new band. I couldn't actually play with my fingers at that point but just persevered & nobody noticed in the meantime!

About 10 years ago I started to use a pick again for the odd song & now I am almost entirely back to using a pick.

Herco Gold or Silver - I alternate between the two every so often.

See the source image

I see Fender have introduced a silver pick. A bit pricier at $45...

Pack-open.jpg

• Haha 1

I've used picks since pretty much day one...more attack, speed etc.  Currently using Dunlop Max-Grip 1.14, grippy. 

I can play with my fingers (and can see the virues/benefits of doing so) and can easy do so for slower stuff, but I've never been able to been able to use them for speed/control.

image.png.793a85f63a6801d42215fdca2e94e1dd.png

• Like 1

I play a bit of both. I use the green Tortex 0.88mm picks. 

Pick and fingers give quite a different sound, for fast punk I can't get the attack with fingers but for a lot of stuff I prefer the softer attack of finger playing and find muting easier. 

Some people seem to think using a pick on bass is cheating or wrong but I just see it as another tool for a different sound. It was good enough for Lemmy, Chris Squier, Justin Chancellor and Paul McCartney so it's good enough for anyone. 

• 1 month later...

Yellow Dunlop Tortex (0.73mm I think) gives me everything I need. The FLEX series feel a little nicer, but I can't explain why.

I saw a PG RigRundown with Juan Alderete and, I didn't realise that while thicker picks give more note attack, slightly thinner picks tend to give you more low-end. To me they just always felt more comfortable.

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/01/2021 at 21:46, Raymondo said:

Always used fingers, Never could get on with a pick.

I failed an audition for a Status Quo Tribute band once because I didn't use a pick! :D

Ironic given that neither does the longest serving bass player with The Quo!

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

I almost always use fingers, but I use a pick if my fingers get tired of if I feel like it. Or sometimes a combination of both. When I use a pick though it has to be really hard, and not even slightly flexible so like fender heavys or the wood ones.

I used to like really heavy picks with no flex but the more I use them the more I like a thin, flexible pick. Dunlop Tortex 0.66 are my favourite 

37 minutes ago, SteveXFR said:

I used to like really heavy picks with no flex but the more I use them the more I like a thin, flexible pick. Dunlop Tortex 0.66 are my favourite 

I like doing the flex in my fingers, which is probably because normally instead of using a pick I use my fingernails, and they are heavy gauge!

54 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

I like doing the flex in my fingers, which is probably because normally instead of using a pick I use my fingernails, and they are heavy gauge!

I like how I can pick through the string and let the picks flex give a nice consistent attack. 

On 02/01/2021 at 22:27, FinnDave said:

Pick for the last five years after an accident damaged my right hand. Only pick I use is a Dunlop 3mm, I can't grip anything thinner.

Strangely enough I had an accident and damaged my right hand, I now can’t hold a pick for long it just flips out of my grip after awhile. 
when I do it’s one of these. 

266AFA25-4F57-409F-A35E-060A661A0238.jpeg

• Like 1

100% fingers, I can't get the expression, the ghost notes, the contrast and all that with a pick. If I was in a Yes tribute band it would be pick all the way but I'm not and I don't want to be so.........

PS I admire pick players, I'm just not one.......

• Thanks 1

On 11/01/2021 at 18:34, Baxlin said:

Fingers almost exclusively, but I also use my index finger as a pick, ie finger and thumb together as if holding a plectrum, and striking the string (with the finger nail side) rather than plucking it.

I first started this years ago when I was playing guitar and dropped my last plectrum through the sound hole while on stage, so just had to go for it, found it worked for me, so continued......

I did that on acoustic guitar a few years back, found that I could use my other fingers to sort of 'assist' with the strum which gave a fuller sound, and stuck with it. It also allows you to seemlessly switch to finger picking and back without having to stash the plectrum somewhere! Curiously though I find it's not precise enough for electric guitar (which I only play occasionally) and so have to use a plectrum for that.

For bass I feel fingers are the more natural method for the instrument and so use those 80% of the time, but a plectrum does give a more attacking tone, and can't be beaten when you want that that driving/palm-damped rock sound!

For guitar my preferred plectrum is quite soft: Jim Dunlop .60mm. For bass I find stiffer gives a fuller tone: Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm.

Edited by Dabbler
  • Like 1