Why become a member? ×

Pick, fingers or both? - also if pick, which do you use?

19 hours ago, PaulWarning said:

I used to use them but could never find the bloody things at a dark pub gig on top of my dark amp, so I switched to .94mm luminous ones

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271293877634?hash=item3f2a600d82:g:tsUAAOxy-sRSVCjC

Blimey, I never knew such things existed!!  Having also suffered from the disappearing black pick syndrome I'm going to have to try these.  Thanks Paul 👍 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, The_Rodster said:

Blimey, I never knew such things existed!!  Having also suffered from the disappearing black pick syndrome I'm going to have to try these.  Thanks Paul 👍 

I have a load of luminous ones that I got as a present. Work well with the right light!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I came to bass from classical guitar, so started off with a pick - because of long nails on my picking hand. 

Since then it's been fingers all the way.

But since getting a few bass synth pedals, they tend to be less glitchy with a pick. Maybe it's my technique?

Pick = Big Stubby.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 11/11/2021 at 09:27, BassAdder60 said:

I’m now 99% pick playing and like Ultex and Tortex picks but recently liking Flex .. they are warmer but not as soft as nylon and not as clicky as Tortex 3EC707E8-23E7-4CA3-8CC7-61F47D853990.thumb.jpeg.4e7d128d56f22014cfe7c76ee421a1c8.jpeg

After using Ultex triangles and finding they tend to turn in my grip I’m trying these again 

Tortex Flex 1.0mm or 1.14mm 

Nice tone too and seem less “ slippy”

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, PaulWarning said:

went to see a band last week, good bass player and fairly high in the mix, he played with both fingers and a pick, could you tell any difference? no, as my partner said "it's a bass!"

I hear that too although some finger players ( me ) tend to sound woolly as finger tips are too padded or soft ??

The difference from fingers to pick is noticeable to my band buddies and myself.

To an audience less so as I think musicians listen to individual parts where as Joe Public listen to the complete sound and enjoy it but are unaware of the tiny nuances musicians hear 

Edited by BassAdder60
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, PaulWarning said:

went to see a band last week, good bass player and fairly high in the mix, he played with both fingers and a pick, could you tell any difference? no, as my partner said "it's a bass!"

And with that same logic there are people out there who just hears music and couldn't even tell what a bass is, does that make playing bass obsolete?

I can for sure hear a clear difference between whether a bass is being played with fingers or a pick, unless the bass player deliberately go to lengths for it to sound the same (which though kind of defeats the purpose).

I also think how aware the audience is about music in general partially depends on the type of music played.

That is some types of music doesn't really require of the listener to actually really listen to enjoy it, where as other types of music does, which again attracts a different kind of audience. 

Also it is not just about the sound, it is also how it feels to play, which definitely regardless would matter to the person playing the bass and partially actually the output as well, how he is playing and how it sounds, alone on account on how it feels to play.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

8 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

I enjoy the physicality of playing with my fingers,  particularly the way I can use fingers an thumb to mute and make different effects I vould never do with a pick.

Pick suits some styles and songs though.

It definitely suits a PBass and all valve amps for rock 👍

• Confused 1

I've had a change of mind and now mainly uses my fingers.

A combination of several different finger picking techniques, regular traditional two finger plucking, classical acoustic guitar finger picking, flamenco style index and/or middle finger flicking, double thumb, and sometimes also thumb+index finger pressed together, using the tip/nail of the index finger, faux pick style (though usually in those cases I will prefer using the flamenco finger flicking technique or double thumb instead), depending.

Though definitely does sound less aggressive, but also somewhat more organic, than using a pick, not least because I prefer using a fairly light touch.

I don't really pull the strings when I pluck them, and sort of stroke them rather than striking them.

When I do use a pick though it is still the regular Dunlop USA Nylon .73mm one.

7 hours ago, SumOne said:

I actually plan on getting me one of those small mallets, one with a wooden or hard rubber head, that you use for Orff instruments, like glockenspiel, xylophones and metalophones, to do something similar, though rather than a slap type sound, as in this video, I plan to use it for replicating a dulcimer like sound on my bass.

Also looking into getting some kind of slide, there's a particular one that I am having a keen eye on and ponder on acquiring that you fit on the finger as sort of like a heavy thick ring with a clamp that keeps it in place, that allows you to play fairly normally when not using it as a slide, and kind of fits perfectly for only sliding on one string a time for a bass with standard 19mm string spacing.

• Like 1

I mostly play with fingers, but due to a slightly wonky right hand due to having a bone broken which has resulted in my index finger being slightly shortened and lowered relative to my middle finger, I use a pick for rapid successions of notes. I did try switching to mainly pick playing when I was in a Marillion tribute band, but went back to fingers when they decided to dispense with my services.

9 hours ago, tauzero said:

I mostly play with fingers, but due to a slightly wonky right hand due to having a bone broken which has resulted in my index finger being slightly shortened and lowered relative to my middle finger, I use a pick for rapid successions of notes. I did try switching to mainly pick playing when I was in a Marillion tribute band, but went back to fingers when they decided to dispense with my services.

This might interest you: 

A finger style technique that allows you to do stuff otherwise normally better suited for pick playing (using just your middle finger would work perfectly, as I mention I use my index and middle finger interchangeably for this, rather than in tandem).

Now it won't really sound like using a pick (that specific unique snappy emphasis of the attack that only a pick will give you), it has it's own sound going for it, which though I personally do actually really like, and it does allow for easily doing rapid strumming (that is once you master the technique of course), just like when using a pick.

• Thanks 1